'01 Suburban dome light trouble

My front dome lights have stopped coming on automatically with the doors. Rear domes work ok. Fronts can be controlled manually with the button on overhead console. The "dome override" switch has no effect. I figured it must be the override, and was able to get a new switch module for $39 and replaced it in about two minutes. No fix. What am I missing? Separate fuses for the auto and manual circuits? Can't believe both door switches failed at the same time. Thanks for any ideas.

How many dome lights are in that thing? Are you sure it's not the map lights that you're referring to since you say they come on with the switch on the overhead console? I'm a truck guy but do have a similar setup in my truck. A little more explanation may help expedite the fix.

There's a light above each row of seats. The front has positionable lights that are supposed to come on automatically with the doors, or stay on with them closed if you push the button near the light. The override button by the headlight switch prevents the doors turning the lights on.

2175737_15_full.jpg

Yea I've got the same control panel in my 02 so I know what you mean there. Just not familiar w/ the suburban interior lighting setup although I do have access to the wiring diagrams. I'll take a look at them and see what I can find....although from what I can tell there is only 1 fuse supplying the power and if it were blown you would have several other issues.

That's good thinking especially since the door switches only send a signal to the BCM. They actually have nothing more to do w/ the circuit other than letting the BCM know the door is opened/closed and it's obviously doing it's job. The only difference between operating those lights manually and having them come on w/ the door(s) opened is where it gets it's ground. Check the wiring and we'll go from there.

i looked at the 4 schmatics that may be for the sub,there are luxury ,uplevel and base utility ,lord thunderin ,alot goin on ,,,

i think the OP needs to get a schmatic and go thru it ,,,,

my 2 cents

Yea I noticed that as well.....that's why I want to know how many wires and what color they are LOL....

no kidding ,,i hope you can help him then ,its weird from what i was lookin at ,i hope the bulbs are ok lol,,,

G203 is its only ground me thinks

Yep I do believe you're correct. After reviewing all of those diagrams a bit further I think I may have spoken a little too soon earlier in the post. I don't see anyway that those map lights are turned on other than manually thus the reason I would like to know just how many wires and what color they are that are running to those lights. A picture of it would be nice as well. Too bad someone else with a suburban couldn't chime in as well. Oh well, I have faith that we'll get it worked out. I'm punching out for tonight....cheers :cheers:

i believe it does get controled by the BCM and maybe a quick scan of the BCM for codes will rule that out and basic electrical diagnoses can continue ,,,,check bulbs for continuity first ,check for power at the switch as well and john can continue with you ,good luck

Archived