Difficulty in refueling

My son has a 2008 Silverado 1500 and has recently been having problems refueling. He tells me that the fuel nozzle keeps shutting off as if the tank was full and does it even if he holds the trigger by hand. I told him to look for any obstruction in the fill pipe that may cause the fuel to back up the fill pipe and trip the nozzle to shut off. He says the only way he can fuel his truck is to hold the nozzle trigger at it's lowest dispensing rate. Anybody have this difficulty before or any ideas what the culprit could be? I thought maybe somebody tried siphoning fuel from his tank and maybe the hose fell down into the fill pipe???

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Yep, the tank vent is plugged. I know it isn't truck related but a friends Camry was doing the same thing. I got under the car and pulled the vent tube down and a bunch of mud from dirt dobers was inside the tube. Cleaned it all out and it was back to normal.

Canister vent valve solenoid. Little black, say 3-4 inches tall cylinder with a connector and some hoses on it. 2010 and prior trucks there is a bulletin for re-routing the filter box for them by moving the filter up towards the transmission with some bulk 5/8 heater hose and installing a new vent solenoid.

• Like 1

My son has a 2008 Silverado 1500 and has recently been having problems refueling. He tells me that the fuel nozzle keeps shutting off as if the tank was full and does it even if he holds the trigger by hand. I told him to look for any obstruction in the fill pipe that may cause the fuel to back up the fill pipe and trip the nozzle to shut off. He says the only way he can fuel his truck is to hold the nozzle trigger at it's lowest dispensing rate. Anybody have this difficulty before or any ideas what the culprit could be? I thought maybe somebody tried siphoning fuel from his tank and maybe the hose fell down into the fill pipe???

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Has your concern been resolved? Keep me posted and feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN and I can look into this on my end as well. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Canister vent valve solenoid. Little black, say 3-4 inches tall cylinder with a connector and some hoses on it. 2010 and prior trucks there is a bulletin for re-routing the filter box for them by moving the filter up towards the transmission with some bulk 5/8 heater hose and installing a new vent solenoid.

Anyone have a link to this bulletin? I can usually fill mine by tilting they pump handle... Just a pain to fill up not really a big deal...

My 2009 GMC Sierra "100% pure gas" 5.3L never had a filling problem, my 2012 GMC Sierra "FLEX FUEL" 5.3L is a whole nother ANIMAL.

Talk about a pain in the rump putting gas in!! WOW!!!

I've heard & read about filling problems, seen the "yellow" gas caps too. I just figured the flex fuel trucks had a different vent system??? :nonod:

I have a problem filling my tank also.

What I found is if I hold the nozzle up instead of letting it rest the tank will fill.

If I let it rest like you're supposed to it will click off time after time.

It must be the way the fill tube is shaped because it prevents the fuel from going straight into the tank and causes the fuel to create a back pressure on the nozzle and it senses that the tank is full and clicks off.

It happens at almost every gas station so I know it is not the nozzle.

Is this the same problem everyone is having?

I have a problem filling my tank also.

What I found is if I hold the nozzle up instead of letting it rest the tank will fill.

If I let it rest like you're supposed to it will click off time after time.

It must be the way the fill tube is shaped because it prevents the fuel from going straight into the tank and causes the fuel to create a back pressure on the nozzle and it senses that the tank is full and clicks off.

It happens at almost every gas station so I know it is not the nozzle.

Is this the same problem everyone is having?

Yup, I've had that happen at several stations. Those stations that deliver at lower speeds tend to be ok. However, the higher flow rates at other stations, I end up holding the pump handle up a bit. Sometimes I end up also pulling the handle out just a bit AND hold it up if it's being pumped in too fast.

• Like 1