4 or 6 speed transmission.......

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a used '07- Tahoe. I'll be pulling a small trailer with a Harley at times so I'm going to stick with the 5.3 engine. My question is this, it seems to me that the 6 speed tranny has much more of a flat torque curve compared to the 4 speed model. The 4 speed tranny seems much more responsive. Can I get some thoughts about this from some of you that have had experiance with both, thank you, Rich

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

between my little 4.8 (4spd) and my dads 6.0 (6spd) for hauling IMO you cant beat the 6 speed. if its not responsive enough slap a BB tune in it. i have seen videos with the 5.3 chirping the tires between 1-2 shifts with a tune

Get the 8 speed next year model.

If the OP is looking at 2007s I doubt brand new is an option for them. Nevermind that there is no solid date for the eight speed or the new SUVs for that matter.

If the OP is looking at 2007s I doubt brand new is an option for them. Nevermind that there is no solid date for the eight speed or the new SUVs for that matter.How many 2007 Tahoes with the 6 speed were produced? I could be wrong but I don't think that was an option in 2007.

There were none as far as I'm aware, pretty sure they got the six in 2009. But I never said the 2007 had a six speed nor is the OP exclusively looking for one that has it.

The 6-spd should perform a little better when towing, but for no more weight than you have, it won't matter. I'd pay more attention to the *rest* of the vehicle, and budget. Some folks love/dislike the 4 or 6 spd, but for different reasons... so there's a lot of personal preference. Considering that all newer vehicles have the 6, and older have the 4, it comes down to budget, and what vehicles you find/like. I sure wouldn't trade my truck for a newer 6-spd version, unless I trusted the seller (or buying new), and the price was too good to pass up. That just shows how much I like/trust *my* truck (bought new), and has nothing to do with the transmission.

Edit: For reference, I tow much heavier than you're considering...

i just looked it up in GM service info ,seems a 6sp is avail for 07 tahoe ,,,,who knew eh ? lol

I did a quick search as I couldn't remember and it said the six speed was made all but standard in 2009 (only 2WD 4.8s had the 4, I didn't even know you could get a 4.8 SUV). But that was Wikipedia so its not exactly gospel.

If u can get the 6speed tranny, do it. So much better. I had a 2003 4speed Tahoe with 5.3. My wife has 2005 Yukon 4speed with 6.0. My Sierra 6speed feels soo much better.

Sent using Tapatalk

I had a 2004 Sierra with 5.3/4spd/3.73s and got a '12 LTZ 5.3/6spd/3.42s and I really like the 6 speed, I only tow a couple sleds but the downshifts under load aren't as drastic with the 6 (obviously) and I'm getting about 2mpg better with the new truck. It took a while to get used to the 6 but so far its been totally worth it.

The 6-Speed was jointly developed by Ford and GM. It is a great tranny, but that being said, if you do get one, make sure you take it into your trusted mechanic and have the latest updates flashed into the BCM/Onboard computer, they will greatly improve the transmission shifting as well as other things on the vehicle.

Archived