2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

So I installed the MBRP kit, but it is way too loud. never thought i'd say that. need to tone it down a bit. the MBRP is a 20x6 inch round straight pipe resonator basically. looking to swap out for another muffler. everyone keeps saying on here they used a 14 inch magnaflow. assuming that will be quieter than MBRP that has no packing or insulation? Do i want the 4x9 oval 14" magnaflow MF series, or do I want the 6 inch round 14" magnaflow MF series? it doesn't list on the magnaflow website that there is any difference in sound between the 14 inch oval and the 14in/6 round.

thanks for your help.

The mbrp I have is bigger than 3 inches so the 3 inch pipe slips inside it. Then you just clamp it. The magnaflow looks like you need to weld it with their universal 14 inch oval muffler. So mbrp sells a "mild" version of the muffler that came with my kit. Going to try that first. Same size so should be a 5 min job to swap. If not will find a shop to weld on the oval maggie.

Went with flow master super 40. Love it. Only reason I didn't go magnaflow is past experience. Was very quite.

Getting my super 40 put on tomorrow, i was considering magnaflow 14" as well but went with the super 40 and get it $40 off

Edited by quise2024

The mbrp I have is bigger than 3 inches so the 3 inch pipe slips inside it. Then you just clamp it. The magnaflow looks like you need to weld it with their universal 14 inch oval muffler. So mbrp sells a "mild" version of the muffler that came with my kit. Going to try that first. Same size so should be a 5 min job to swap. If not will find a shop to weld on the oval maggie.

I have the 14" and love it. Mine is the oval.

So I installed the MBRP kit, but it is way too loud. never thought i'd say that. need to tone it down a bit. the MBRP is a 20x6 inch round straight pipe resonator basically. looking to swap out for another muffler. everyone keeps saying on here they used a 14 inch magnaflow. assuming that will be quieter than MBRP that has no packing or insulation? Do i want the 4x9 oval 14" magnaflow MF series, or do I want the 6 inch round 14" magnaflow MF series? it doesn't list on the magnaflow website that there is any difference in sound between the 14 inch oval and the 14in/6 round.

thanks for your help.

The reason the MBRP is loud is because of the straight through design. The inner pipe has some dimples in it and that's all the sound attenuation you get.

The Magnaflow has holes in the inner pipe and the casing is filled with steel mesh and fiberglass sound absorbing material. Much quieter.

post-124796-0-54027200-1485809925.jpg

post-124796-0-86121800-1485809925_thumb.jpg

Getting my super 40 put on tomorrow, i was considering magnaflow 14" as well but went with the super 40 and get it $40 off

I had the 14" Magnaflow. Not loud enough. I went with the Flowmaster 10. It only has one small baffle. Most aggressive sounding muffler they sell.

post-124796-0-06000900-1485810280_thumb.jpg

Dear tenured posters: I know this subject has been beaten like a dead horse! However I "searched" for the correct thread and found this one. I have no time before I order headers, maybe cam and get a tune because I'm moving to Chicago and my tuner who comes highly recommednded is here in Florida! I need to order headers today so I can have my tune done Friday and leave Saturday, ANYWAYS! Here we go...

Background, I had two 2008 Trailblazer SS' and a 2006 Z06... never were modified though, didn't have a the need.

The 2016 Silverado Z71 4x4 is a 5.3... I know blower to get faster blah blah but I don't want to go that route nor do I have unlimited resources for a boat puller/utility vehicle...

Just had custom exhaust built and installed with flowmasters and prepped for a long tube set up, for my old school sound desire, and I just put on the K&N Blackhawk CAI...

SO! I need you guys help and opinion before I just use my tuners sole opinion: Quality is priority bc I don't want to put on garbage on a new truck nor do I want to replace it in a year!!!

Here are my questions:

1. Top 5 quality

2. Best hp gain vs quality

2. Reasonable price vs quality

3. X pipe vs Y pipe?!

4. Tune: is aggressive to strenuous on my tranny? Go mild?

With I/h/e and tune should I risk a cam swap or would my future set up yield enough yield?! I know I won't achieve the Z06 feel of my a$$ being stuck to the seat of 6 lbs per HP but the 5.3 feels like a PRIUS right now, no offense, thanks for saving the planet for us PRIUS owners...

If I go cam there are millions of flavors, is a mild cam even worth the risk? Wrong thread but time is limited!

Disclaimer I know I could have maybe should have started with the 6.2L, I get it, but that wasn't the point for this vehicle, however I want to pep it up a little bc I would have done this to the 6.2L as well!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the quick help!!!

Dear tenured posters: I know this subject has been beaten like a dead horse! However I "searched" for the correct thread and found this one. I have no time before I order headers, maybe cam and get a tune because I'm moving to Chicago and my tuner who comes highly recommednded is here in Florida! I need to order headers today so I can have my tune done Friday and leave Saturday, ANYWAYS! Here we go...

Background, I had two 2008 Trailblazer SS' and a 2006 Z06... never were modified though, didn't have a the need.

The 2016 Silverado Z71 4x4 is a 5.3... I know blower to get faster blah blah but I don't want to go that route nor do I have unlimited resources for a boat puller/utility vehicle...

Just had custom exhaust built and installed with flowmasters and prepped for a long tube set up, for my old school sound desire, and I just put on the K&N Blackhawk CAI...

SO! I need you guys help and opinion before I just use my tuners sole opinion: Quality is priority bc I don't want to put on garbage on a new truck nor do I want to replace it in a year!!!

Here are my questions:

1. Top 5 quality

2. Best hp gain vs quality

2. Reasonable price vs quality

3. X pipe vs Y pipe?!

4. Tune: is aggressive to strenuous on my tranny? Go mild?

With I/h/e and tune should I risk a cam swap or would my future set up yield enough yield?! I know I won't achieve the Z06 feel of my a$$ being stuck to the seat of 6 lbs per HP but the 5.3 feels like a PRIUS right now, no offense, thanks for saving the planet for us PRIUS owners...

If I go cam there are millions of flavors, is a mild cam even worth the risk? Wrong thread but time is limited!

Disclaimer I know I could have maybe should have started with the 6.2L, I get it, but that wasn't the point for this vehicle, however I want to pep it up a little bc I would have done this to the 6.2L as well!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the quick help!!!

So I know this doesn't completely answer your question, but Houston House of Power here in Texas had a shop truck with a 5.3 (2014 crew cab 2wd) with intake, headers, cam, 3 or 3.5" Magnaflow exhaust and tune (done in house by their tuner, Chuck) and it had over 400 RWHP being put out on the dyno.

You can look them up on facebook or instagram (@chuckstuning)

He actually holds the bolt on record for the new 5.3L engine, i believe.

I know getting your truck to Houston may be hard, but i would definitely say it would be worth it... if I can get mine down there one day I will absolutely be doing it.

To more so answer your question, for horsepower numbers I would go with Magnaflow. I have had flowmasters in the past and the magnaflow i have now performs WAY BETTER.

I had duals on the flowmaster and have a single 3" pipe all the way out with the 3rd catalytic converter cut out.

Adding headers, i would go Texas Speed, seems to have a pretty good bang for the buck, and thats what HHP uses and they get some pretty good numbers out of them.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

So I know this doesn't completely answer your question, but Houston House of Power here in Texas had a shop truck with a 5.3 (2014 crew cab 2wd) with intake, headers, cam, 3 or 3.5" Magnaflow exhaust and tune (done in house by their tuner, Chuck) and it had over 400 RWHP being put out on the dyno.

You can look them up on facebook or instagram (@chuckstuning)

He actually holds the bolt on record for the new 5.3L engine, i believe.

I know getting your truck to Houston may be hard, but i would definitely say it would be worth it... if I can get mine down there one day I will absolutely be doing it.

To more so answer your question, for horsepower numbers I would go with Magnaflow. I have had flowmasters in the past and the magnaflow i have now performs WAY BETTER.

I had duals on the flowmaster and have a single 3" pipe all the way out with the 3rd catalytic converter cut out.

Adding headers, i would go Texas Speed, seems to have a pretty good bang for the buck, and thats what HHP uses and they get some pretty good numbers out of them.

Hope this helps.

Thank you sir anything helps just no way I can get to TX lol well this week, talked to my tuner, we will do a mild tune Saturday morning and he said ARH headers are the best then kooks and SSW, including the y pipe he quoted me around 1700, 1650 and 1450.... mild tune since I'm referred to him for $295.... are these good prices?

Should I just go to an aggressive tune or will that put my tranny at risk?

Should I have him delete the v4 except 6 gear?

Which headers?!

Thanks guys! Your opinion matters!

Ps I gave that blue beauty up for black Betty!

post-168914-0-92482900-1486416749_thumb.jpg

Thank you sir anything helps just no way I can get to TX lol well this week, talked to my tuner, we will do a mild tune Saturday morning and he said ARH headers are the best then kooks and SSW, including the y pipe he quoted me around 1700, 1650 and 1450.... mild tune since I'm referred to him for $295.... are these good prices?

Which headers?!

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3288-headers-xy-pipes_chevrolet-silverado1500-2016.aspx

• Like 2

I dont think you can wrong with any of those 3 brands all top notch. When warranty is up Ill be doing Texas Speed Headers though just because of how much cheaper and doing work myself.

For tune, Id just tell him what you want. I always want as much performance as I can get safely, and being NA I dont think you can hurt much if he knows what he is doing. Id lose the v4 all together or above a certain speed like 60.

Which headers?!