2014 Sierra Vibration at Highway Speeds

Hello,

I recently purchased a new 2014 Sierra which vibrates over 75MPH. Once in a while the vibration seems to diminish but for the most part it is consistent. I've started to read threads online and have found a plethora of them and decided to start my own so that I could find the most up-to-date information about this and also track my personal case.

It is a bit unnerving reading about one dealer mishap after another right after buying a new vehicle so I am hoping this problem can be resolved. I expect tire balancing to be the first action taken by the dealer but if I'm lucky enough to have that fix the problem I'll be pleasantly surprised. If problems persist at that point, does anyone have suggestions moving forward?

The vibration is severe enough that I would be willing to pursue this to the point that another vehicle becomes an option (I'm not sure how often Michigan's "lemon law" is actually enacted for something like vibration but fear that I will be learning just that). I purchased the vehicle during a period of rain/snow and am kicking myself in the butt for not test driving it at highway speeds. After having looked at many trucks over the prior couple of weeks I simply did not expect something like this to be a problem.

Thanks for any assistance!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

I PURCHASED A NEW 2014 CREW CAB SIERRA 1500 4WD IN 2013 --I MADE THE FATAL MISTAKE OF NOT DRIVING THE TRUCK AT A SPEED OF 70 MPH OR GREATER---MY TRUCK HAS 4800 MILES ON IT AND RIDES LIKE A 2 HORSE WAGON AT SPEEDS OF 70 TO 80 MPH---I OWN A TIRE STORE AND IT FEELS JUST LIKE A TIRE BALANCING PROBLEM---I BALANCED THE TIRES AND HAVE SINCE INSTALLED 5 SETS OF DIFFERENT BRANDS OF TIRES STAYING WITH THE SAME SIZE AS FACTORY EACH TIME--THE LAST SET I INSTALLED WAS A SET OF MICHELIN LTX2---NO MATTER THE BRAND, THE VIBRATION IS UNBEARABLE--I CARRIED THE TRUCK BACK TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID THAT THEY CHECKED EVERY THING THAT THEY KNEW TO CHECK AND THAT THEY HAD NO SOLUTION--THE SERVICE MANAGER INVITED ME TO TEST-DRIVE ANY TRUCK ON THE LOT THAT WAS LIKE MINE AND I DID--THEY HAD 6 OF THEM AND I DROVE 2--BOTH TRUCKS DID THE SAME THING AS MINE---HOW CAN THEY BE ALLOWED TO SELL THESE VEHICLES KNOWING THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM----THE SERVICE MANAGER GAVE ME A # TO CALL AND ALL I GET IS CONFIRMATION # AFTER CONFIRMATION #--IT'S EMBARASSING TO RIDE DOWN THE INTERSTATE IN 1 $52,000 VEHICLE THAT HAS ALL THE FEATURES AND CONVENIENCES THAT MY TRUCK HAS AND BOTH YOUR LEGS KNOCK AGAINST EACH OTHER--IF I HAD DENTURES , I WOULD BE AFRAID TO OPEN MY MOUTH FOR FEAR OF THEM FALLING OUT---I AM 61 YEARS OLD AND HAVE OWNED MANY GMC TRUCKS BUT NEVER ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM SUCH AS THIS--THE SERVICE MANAGER EVEN WEBT AS FAR AS TO TELL ME THAT I JUST NEED TO FILE A COMPALINT AND WHEN GM HAS ENOUGH COMPLAINT S THAT THEY WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM--I WISH TO GOD THAT I HAD NEVER PAID CASH FOR MY TRUCK AND FINANCED IT--THIS TRUCK WOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN BACK TO THEM IMMEDIATELY--MY TRUCK WAS ALSO MADE AND ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO BUT WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH IT---I WANT MY DAMN TRUCK FIXED OR REPLACED--I AM ABOUT TO GO BESERK DEALING WITH THIS PROBLEM--I HAVE A $52,000 TRUCK I LITERALLY HATE TO DRIVE AND THE SAD THING IS THAT ALL THESE TRUCKS EVIDENTLY HAVE THIS PROBLEM--IF YOU ARE CONDSIDERING PURCHASING ONE OF THESE TRUCKS, MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET THE TRUCK OUT ON THE INTERSTATE AND DRIVE BETWEEN 70 AND 80--DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID--- :gmc:

I PURCHASED A NEW 2014 CREW CAB SIERRA 1500 4WD IN 2013 --I MADE THE FATAL MISTAKE OF NOT DRIVING THE TRUCK AT A SPEED OF 70 MPH OR GREATER---MY TRUCK HAS 4800 MILES ON IT AND RIDES LIKE A 2 HORSE WAGON AT SPEEDS OF 70 TO 80 MPH---I OWN A TIRE STORE AND IT FEELS JUST LIKE A TIRE BALANCING PROBLEM---I BALANCED THE TIRES AND HAVE SINCE INSTALLED 5 SETS OF DIFFERENT BRANDS OF TIRES STAYING WITH THE SAME SIZE AS FACTORY EACH TIME--THE LAST SET I INSTALLED WAS A SET OF MICHELIN LTX2---NO MATTER THE BRAND, THE VIBRATION IS UNBEARABLE--I CARRIED THE TRUCK BACK TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID THAT THEY CHECKED EVERY THING THAT THEY KNEW TO CHECK AND THAT THEY HAD NO SOLUTION--THE SERVICE MANAGER INVITED ME TO TEST-DRIVE ANY TRUCK ON THE LOT THAT WAS LIKE MINE AND I DID--THEY HAD 6 OF THEM AND I DROVE 2--BOTH TRUCKS DID THE SAME THING AS MINE---HOW CAN THEY BE ALLOWED TO SELL THESE VEHICLES KNOWING THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM----THE SERVICE MANAGER GAVE ME A # TO CALL AND ALL I GET IS CONFIRMATION # AFTER CONFIRMATION #--IT'S EMBARASSING TO RIDE DOWN THE INTERSTATE IN 1 $52,000 VEHICLE THAT HAS ALL THE FEATURES AND CONVENIENCES THAT MY TRUCK HAS AND BOTH YOUR LEGS KNOCK AGAINST EACH OTHER--IF I HAD DENTURES , I WOULD BE AFRAID TO OPEN MY MOUTH FOR FEAR OF THEM FALLING OUT---I AM 61 YEARS OLD AND HAVE OWNED MANY GMC TRUCKS BUT NEVER ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM SUCH AS THIS--THE SERVICE MANAGER EVEN WEBT AS FAR AS TO TELL ME THAT I JUST NEED TO FILE A COMPALINT AND WHEN GM HAS ENOUGH COMPLAINT S THAT THEY WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM--I WISH TO GOD THAT I HAD NEVER PAID CASH FOR MY TRUCK AND FINANCED IT--THIS TRUCK WOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN BACK TO THEM IMMEDIATELY--MY TRUCK WAS ALSO MADE AND ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO BUT WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH IT---I WANT MY DAMN TRUCK FIXED OR REPLACED--I AM ABOUT TO GO BESERK DEALING WITH THIS PROBLEM--I HAVE A $52,000 TRUCK I LITERALLY HATE TO DRIVE AND THE SAD THING IS THAT ALL THESE TRUCKS EVIDENTLY HAVE THIS PROBLEM--IF YOU ARE CONDSIDERING PURCHASING ONE OF THESE TRUCKS, MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET THE TRUCK OUT ON THE INTERSTATE AND DRIVE BETWEEN 70 AND 80--DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID--- :gmc:

TYPING IN ALL CAPS IN BOLD WILL NOT HELP YOUR CASE OR MAKE YOU APPEAR AS A GROWNUP...

Shesh, some people. So you join the forum to post your one post and cry? Why not act like a grown up? How about oh I don't know doing a quick search and see how a few that have had this problem got it corrected at the dealer? Drive shaft bent or out of balance maybe? Not every truck, nay, few of them actually have this issues. If you have taken it back enough you can get it lemon law'd too.

Did you go post this same post on every GM forum you could find?

Tyler

TYLER---I POSTED THIS TO WARN OTHERS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM---HELL YES I AM CRYING BECAUSE OF WHAT I SPENT ON A PIECE OF TRASH--YOU HAVE NO IDEA ON WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH--IF YOU KNOW SO DAMN MUCH ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, THEN WHY DON'T YOU GO TO WORK AT GM AS AN ENGINEER--THEY COULD USE YOUR HELP---WHY DON'T YOU KEEP YOUR NONSENSE REPLIES TO YOURSELF--

TYLER---I POSTED THIS TO WARN OTHERS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM---HELL YES I AM CRYING BECAUSE OF WHAT I SPENT ON A PIECE OF TRASH--YOU HAVE NO IDEA ON WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH--IF YOU KNOW SO DAMN MUCH ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, THEN WHY DON'T YOU GO TO WORK AT GM AS AN ENGINEER--THEY COULD USE YOUR HELP---WHY DON'T YOU KEEP YOUR NONSENSE REPLIES TO YOURSELF--

It's called a WARRANTY. TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND LET THEM FIX IT.

did you not read what I initially posted--I have taken it to the dealership--read and read some more---they have had the truck more than I have

doug the dealers aren't going to help you and they aren't the ones you get a refund from anyway, its GM

every state has different requirements before you qualify for a lemon law forced GM buy back of your vehicle.

google your states lemon law to see if you have had enough repair attempts to qualify for it. it doesn't matter if they try to fix it or not as long as you bring it in for repair. their refusal to try and fix it does not diminish your claim and it counts as a repair attempt.

often its 3 or maybe 4 unsuccessful repairs for the exact same issue means you qualify for lemon law, different problems need 3 or 4 repairs for each problem but you only need one unfixed problem to file for lemon law so file and start the process. it takes several months to go through the process to completion at which time you will be reimbursed the purchase price minus depreciation based on the mileage which isn't much.

you might loose $1,000 after all this time but you will get your refund if you file so file.

here is the link to start the process and you don't even need a lawyer to do it. https://www.auto.bbb.org/lemon-law-complaint-form/

Geez thanks, you warned us of a problem that has been documented since about the time the trucks came out, everyone here appreciates and has extreme gratitude for this generous gift you have bestowed upon them.

What you have been through? Oh my, so your truck has a vibration, that is so much worse than anything else. Would be much easier if your wheel fell off or drive shaft locked up and you flipped as opposed to this problem right?

I only know some about the problem BECAUSE I USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION which is something you should have done instead of coming on here writing like a 4th grader.

Sure, let me negate my MBA and return to school to become an engineer then hope to get picked up by GM on their truck line just to work on a problem that some guy who couldn't use a search function to aid in solving it with their respective dealer. I will get right on that!

How about you keep your non-sense post off the website and try searching first? You haven't done anyone any help with your whining. Do you have a seat vibration you want to yell in all caps on another separate thread maybe? Oh, how about something on the heat from the seat coolers in the back, no one knows about that yet, please do tell them...

Take the advice posted earlier. Do a search, find some common problems and bring them to a dealer with ideas to fix it. Just because it has a problem that can be fixed doesn't mean it is a POS. It is a vehicle manufactured in mass and stuff can happen, could be simple fix that requires replacing an item. If you had an endless list of issues I can understand calling it a POS, but considering it is one issue that does not apply here.

Bad enough to shake out dentures, yeah it is no where near that bad. Everyone states it is a vibration like you said having a tire out of balance and here you make it sound like you are driving on square tires.

Tyler

• 2 weeks later...

New to the site but I have the same problem with my Sierra Crew Cab SLE 4WD that started at about 400 miles so it did not come out that way, and as for as the comments take it back to the dealer they will fix it, the LEMON Law, give it back to the dealer, that is all a crock of you know what, I have had my truck back the dealership 8 times for the same problem a vibration, they have had the factory engineers out three time and looked and worked on it, first time the engineer did a couple of things and said that it was up to factory specs and that was all he could do, I drove it home and before I was a block away I could tell that they did not fix it, when I got home I called the dealer back and told him so he called GM and the next week they sent out the same guy and this time he worked on 5 or 6 other things that he did not work on the first time after telling me they did all they could do the first time. Right there tells you they are lying if there was nothing they could do why come back and work on it again! But after he got done it was just like it was, I will try to list some of the stuff that they said they did, 1) rotated the tires 2) re-torque the wheels 3) balanced the tires 4) balanced the drive shaft 5) shimmed the rear end 6) checked the rear shocks 7) took off dealer installed MUD FLAPS! 8) checked the exhaust system, I know but they did 9) road forced tested the tires twice and replaced two the second time and re-balanced the tires. And I'm sure I have not listed all they have tried, and still I have the same problem, third time the engineer came out he had the regional manager with him and this time they drove my truck and 2 others they had on the lot and said that they are similar to mine and they was not going to do any more to my truck that they had done all they could or would do but if I had any other problems to bring it back. I filed a claim with BBB Auto Line and after all the times back to the dealership with no Joy they said I could go before an Arbitrator but more than likely because this was not a safety issue are it had not been out of services for long periods of time that the outcome would probably not be good. So I know now that after posting this I have as much hope in one of the readers fixing my truck as GM and that is sad that they just don't care anymore. I have been a long time customer of GM cars and trucks owning over 11 GM truck in the past 30 years. P.S. have the dealer buy it back tired that too he said he would buy it back and give me $32,000.00 for the truck that sticker ed for $46,000.00 because "wait for it",,,, because it had a vibrations in it !

New to the site but I have the same problem with my Sierra Crew Cab SLE 4WD that started at about 400 miles so it did not come out that way, and as for as the comments take it back to the dealer they will fix it, the LEMON Law, give it back to the dealer, that is all a crock of you know what, I have had my truck back the the dealership 8 times for the same problem a vibration, they have had the factory engineers out three time and ........

call a lemon law lawyer, so far you did the required things by going through BBB and GM but now that they have refused to help you it is to the point you get a lawyer and take it to court. the lawyer gets paid from GM when he wins and you owe him nothing if you loose but the key is when your lawyer gets involved its out of GMs little family controlled group to lie and try to cover each others arses so you will have your own experts (also paid by GM when you win) from your lawyer and you can bring your own evidence such as ride along videos clearly showing the vibration issue.

trust me GM does NOT want to go on public record saying there vehicles are designed to vibrate and that is exactly their position in trying to deny you so they are not about to give ford and Toyota a free car commercial where GM itself goes into court stating they design vehicles that are supposed to vibrate. it might get close to the time to go to court but they will absolutely settle with you before they go on public record to claim their own vehicles are made to be POS trucks

New to this site to and my new 2014 GMC sierra 4x4 SLT crew cab has the same vibration. Brought it in two times so far and i am getting the run around to.I have 1200 miles on it and have had it for 1 1/2 months. Not happy at all.

Archived