Free Exhaust Mod!!

Has anyone checked to see if they did the valve like they do the corvettes? I know on the C6 it was as simple as fulling a fuse to get the valve to stay open at all times.

This is a totally different valve that what the Vettes use. This valve has spring resistance and is forced open by exhaust flow alone. Just cut it out or use something to hold the valve open like the op did with a hose clamp, tac weld, a fireproof midget holding the valve open himself, it's a real easy mod.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Up in canada we were having those valves freeze shut after the truck sat idling for 10 mins and was shut off (command start) then when you would try and start it there was too much of a restriction and they wouldn't start. The fix.........bolt them all open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I guess if you twist ot counter clockwise, a bolt hole lines up on the bottom so you can bolt it open. I may do that soon as mine is whistling like a turbo and is very annoying. I hear it with the windows down when driving back roads...especially going up hills.

I bolted mine open last night...got sick of the whistle sound it gave when using moderate pedal around 10 to 40 miles per hour. The whistle was very loud and very annoying with the passenger side window opened. Other than the annoying turbo sounding whistle being gone, and a louder startup exhaust sound I dont notice anything different...V4 mode still the same, V4 "rough feeling" still the same, gas mileage the same on my short 15 mile test drive last night. I plan on leaving it open for the life of the truck. It was a dumb idea on GM's part if you ask me.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

so I clamped mine yesterday. It is for sure louder, it is not a bad or annoying sound, but I wouldn't call it great. My neighbors bone stock 2009 Yukon Denali 6.2 sounds awesome. I wish ours sounded as good as the older ones from the factory. I think my next step will be muffler delete. I will leave the flapper so I can decide if functioning or clamped open sounds better with no muffler

The system would come with tips.

They are $1249 direct from Borla or from the chevy accessories website for CrewCab Shortbed.

I'd like to clarify a couple of things for you guys regarding the GM Borla exhaust system. Yes, I have one. First, Borla does not sell this system directly. The GM Borla (Performance) exhaust system is sold through GM dealers and their web sites. For example, I purchased mine from Banner Automotive through their Amazon store. In August 2015, my purchase price was $1,020 plus $144.95 for the chrome tips kit. The tips are extra (not included in the kit) and come in chrome or black. According to several GM Accessories sites, the normal GM tips do not fit this GM Borla exhaust system.

It is a very high quality, easy to install cat back system. One of the differences from other Borla exhaust systems or other manufacturers is that it includes a Passive Exhaust Valve (PEV, aka "flapper") that appears to be of higher quality than stock and is mounted on a bypass to the main exhaust pipe (think of having a loop attached to the main pipe with the valve inside) which eliminates the restriction, but helps with AFM/DOD noise. The sound is compared to a "Touring" sound, so if you were to go to Borla's web site and listen to the "Touring", it would be close as compared to "Sport" or "ATAK".

Another note...even the Corsa exhaust systems for these trucks is more expensive now than they were a few years ago. I too was surprised. I am not intending to start another "exhaust system bash" thread, but just wanted to share my experience with purchasing my GM Borla exhaust system. I wanted a complete system and all that entails. I normally install exhaust upgrades myself, but had Midas do this one since it was over 100 degrees here, in Texas, when I bought it.

Edited by chuckl1218
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Loving this muffler delete on my 6.2. Flapper open. AFM/DOD disabled and Diablo tune.

I know this is an old thread but wanted to ask because it has been a while and you should certainly be able to answer better now - with the muffler delete did you notice any changes to gas mileage or improved performance?

Didn't even know our trucks had flapper valves - learned something new today. :)

Ironically I have the NPP (flapper) exhaust on my '17 Camaro and wouldn't trade it for the world... but it has 2in headers with no cats - so being able to make it quiet when I want to is nice

My question and I may need to start yet another Thread, I have my flapper bolted open per the posts here a while back. Before on the road I was getting kind of a buzzing sound or similar from the rear of the truck. Yes it was engine speed related not road or tire noise.

So I know there is an official GM fix which is replacing the entire exhaust, is that fix just a in warranty fix or a recall do anytime fix?

Edited by wmgeorge64