Issues with Diablo Sport Tuner

After putting a flowmaster exhaust on my truck I decided to buy a Diablo intune so I could disable the V4 mode. I always thought it would be nice to get a little bit of a power gain and hopefully better gas mileage with the tuner. After installing the 87 octane tune with the DOD/V4 mode turned off it is causing my truck to shift in to gear way to soon, causing the engine to bog down and jerk until the RPM's climb. As soon as I remove the tune the problem goes away. I also tried installing the tune with the DOD left on and the problem returns. Then I tried just turning off the DOD with no tune their is no issues. So I know for a fact it's an issue with the 87 octane tune. I tried contacting DiabloSport and their current answer is the tune does not change anything with the transmission. Although it says on their web site that the tune even changes settings with the torque converter. Has any one else heard of issues like this? If i can only use the tuner to disable the DOD their are cheaper tuners out their I could of gotten. I went with Diablo due to people talking about savings on gas.

Can anyone else recommend other tuners they are using with no issues?

Thanks

After putting a flowmaster exhaust on my truck I decided to buy a Diablo intune so I could disable the V4 mode. I always thought it would be nice to get a little bit of a power gain and hopefully better gas mileage with the tuner. After installing the 87 octane tune with the DOD/V4 mode turned off it is causing my truck to shift in to gear way to soon, causing the engine to bog down and jerk until the RPM's climb. As soon as I remove the tune the problem goes away. I also tried installing the tune with the DOD left on and the problem returns. Then I tried just turning off the DOD with no tune their is no issues. So I know for a fact it's an issue with the 87 octane tune. I tried contacting DiabloSport and their current answer is the tune does not change anything with the transmission. Although it says on their web site that the tune even changes settings with the torque converter. Has any one else heard of issues like this? If i can only use the tuner to disable the DOD their are cheaper tuners out their I could of gotten. I went with Diablo due to people talking about savings on gas.

Can anyone else recommend other tuners they are using with no issues?

Thanks

I have an intune......No problem with canned ECM or TCM tune, it was actually very conservative compared to my custom tune that's in it now.

My experience,

Mike

I have an intune......No problem with canned ECM or TCM tune, it was actually very conservative compared to my custom tune that's in it now.

My experience,

Mike

Give him Lews info... He already has the intune so he's halfway to a nice custom tune.

• 1 year later...

Me too! I went with the stock tune and turned off DOD for now. Tried several options with the 87 tune and it shifted wierd and jerky. I'll get Diablew at some point, but it's OK for now.

• Like 1

If you get on the Diablosport forum they should be able to help you out. Will probably ask you to log some driving and send it to them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually been communicating with them, but their responses are a bit delayed. I returned the truck to stock last night, with DOD off and Torque Management off and it's still worlds better than stock. I will leave the 87 tune out until they come up with a new update or solution.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually been communicating with them, but their responses are a bit delayed. I returned the truck to stock last night, with DOD off and Torque Management off and it's still worlds better than stock. I will leave the 87 tune out until they come up with a new update or solution.

I submitted some files for them to look at. 14' Silverado with the same 1-2 shift (short shift) issue as you. Turned off trottle boost and while it helped, the issue isn't gone ...just a bit less noticeable.

if you ask me a tune is the biggest waste of money..

all they are doing is turning off or down the torque management

and increasing the throttle sensitivity with some addition of timing and leaning of the fuel.

you get about 20 some hp gain but put the rest of the drivetrain at risk and cause excess wear and tear on your transmission clutches.

if you really think your getting any gains try running the truck at the track before and after the tune. at full throttle you'll see a minimal improvement. most of what you feel with a tune is a placebo because the gas pedal is more responsive.

but there is no shortage of people willing to buy so they keep selling tunes!

if you ask me a 5 year / 100k mile warranty is far more valuable.

and before anyone says the tune is undetectable when flashed back to stock. put your money where your mouth is and flash yours back to stock take it in for warranty service with an internal engine problem and see if you get warranty service.

all it takes is for GM to get a hint that your not stock and they will blacklist the entire drivetrain warranty forever on your vehicle!

if you think the mag moss act will bail you out, it might but you'll spend more money in court trying to fight it trying to prove anything than the cost of repairs.

here is some additional food for thought..

are there some gains to be had? sure!

but don't you think the people who designed the truck and researched, developed and engineered the engine ECM and TCM might know a little more about what's safe, how tuning will affect the vehicles performance? the truck doesn't run right because the TCM and ECM talk to each other. the TCM makes torque requests to the ECM that the engine then carry out.

if your messing with the DOD values your also affecting the Actual torque verses requested torque.

these transmissions are high tech they actually have a clutch for each gear set. they have to disengage 1 clutch and at the same time and with exact precision engage another clutch for a smooth shift.

in addition adjust timing, fuel and throttle position while that happens.

when you monkey with the engine parameters your going to get a truck that does not drive correctly because it was never designed to run that way.

but whatever, i know ill get flamed for this post.

you guys go ahead do what you want.. seems a waste of money. if your going to void your warranty in the quest for power get a supercharger! go big or go home..

Never did it to save gas. I did it to gain a little bit of horse power and better response from the engine and maybe a little bit improvement in drivability due to the transmission wanting to get into the highest gear possible. So far the tune has worked perfect for that. The only issue I had was when shifting from 1-2 it does it a little quick but it depends on where you're at in the pedal. I originally turned off AFM and noticed my in town mileage was dropping but not on the highway. I have since turned it back on and my in town mileage is way up and my highway mileage is still good. In fact I would say having the tune has increased my gas mileage although that wasn't my intent , I'll take it.

Edited by dbannerz71

• 3 years later...
On 7/4/2015 at 9:22 AM, bass mechanic said:

if you ask me a tune is the biggest waste of money..

all they are doing is turning off or down the torque management

and increasing the throttle sensitivity with some addition of timing and leaning of the fuel.

you get about 20 some hp gain but put the rest of the drivetrain at risk and cause excess wear and tear on your transmission clutches.

if you really think your getting any gains try running the truck at the track before and after the tune. at full throttle you'll see a minimal improvement. most of what you feel with a tune is a placebo because the gas pedal is more responsive.

but there is no shortage of people willing to buy so they keep selling tunes!

if you ask me a 5 year / 100k mile warranty is far more valuable.

and before anyone says the tune is undetectable when flashed back to stock. put your money where your mouth is and flash yours back to stock take it in for warranty service with an internal engine problem and see if you get warranty service.

all it takes is for GM to get a hint that your not stock and they will blacklist the entire drivetrain warranty forever on your vehicle!

if you think the mag moss act will bail you out, it might but you'll spend more money in court trying to fight it trying to prove anything than the cost of repairs.

here is some additional food for thought..

are there some gains to be had? sure!

but don't you think the people who designed the truck and researched, developed and engineered the engine ECM and TCM might know a little more about what's safe, how tuning will affect the vehicles performance? the truck doesn't run right because the TCM and ECM talk to each other. the TCM makes torque requests to the ECM that the engine then carry out.

if your messing with the DOD values your also affecting the Actual torque verses requested torque.

these transmissions are high tech they actually have a clutch for each gear set. they have to disengage 1 clutch and at the same time and with exact precision engage another clutch for a smooth shift.

in addition adjust timing, fuel and throttle position while that happens.

when you monkey with the engine parameters your going to get a truck that does not drive correctly because it was never designed to run that way.

but whatever, i know ill get flamed for this post.

you guys go ahead do what you want.. seems a waste of money. if your going to void your warranty in the quest for power get a supercharger! go big or go home..

Oooooo....   You said monkey!!!  I’m telling CNN!