New Onstar Remote Link App Update now shows Vehicle Location

Saw this update that came out yesterday. Now you can use the app to see where you vehicle is currently located on a map, exact spot. Pretty cool feature to know where you truck is if your not around it and also could be bad when you can now see where you wife / husband is at.. oh boy..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this update that came out yesterday. Now you can use the app to see where you vehicle is currently located on a map, exact spot. Pretty cool feature to know where you truck is if your not around it and also could be bad when you can now see where you wife / husband is at.. oh boy..

Just one comment, you need to pay an extra fee just for that.

This only works if you are under the trial or paying for OnStar services. Otherwise all you have access to is the remote lock/unlock features page and the system status page.

I'm done with on star when the free period is up.

Joe,

If you download the Remote Link App to your smartphone, and use it at least once during your trial period, even after the 6 months is up, you can still use the remote start/cancel start/lock/unlock/horn & lights/stop horn & lights feature for a period of 5 years. This is even if you do not purchase any OnStar service plan, OR until they figure/find a way to screw us out of that feature!

I downloaded the update, but see no change as far as what I can see or do with my phone. I'm going on my 10th month, and did not buy any OnStar plan back in March when my 6 month trial period expired. Just used the phone to unlock/lock my truck, still works after the update I downloaded a couple days ago. Great feature, just hope it stays that way.

Just one comment, you need to pay an extra fee just for that.

This only works if you are under the trial or paying for OnStar services. Otherwise all you have access to is the remote lock/unlock features page and the system status page.

I just wanted to provide some clarification. Any currently active Directions & Connections subscriber with a RemoteLink-compatible vehicle can access this feature at no additional charge. Simply tap the "NAV" tab along the bottom of the screen. In the lower right corner of the map, you will see a new button that looks like a car under a magnifying glass - tap this button to locate your vehicle!

The vehicle location feature will show the most recent location your vehicle was running. I hope this helps!

~Sara, OnStar Advisor

Social Media Team

I just wanted to provide some clarification. Any currently active Directions & Connections subscriber with a RemoteLink-compatible vehicle can access this feature at no additional charge. Simply tap the "NAV" tab along the bottom of the screen. In the lower right corner of the map, you will see a new button that looks like a car under a magnifying glass - tap this button to locate your vehicle!

The vehicle location feature will show the most recent location your vehicle was running. I hope this helps!

~Sara, OnStar Advisor

Social Media Team

Ah that's the kicker! You have to subscribe to the directions and connections plan. If your just a regular onstar subscriber. You get nothing. Oh well. That explains why mine does not work.

Exactly. What doesn't make sense from who has nav or cell phone...

The day you get your truck stolen you'll wish you had it. To me the extra $ a month isn't going to break the deal. If one can spend $45-70k for a truck, a few bucks extra a month is worth it. My insurance company gives me a credit every month as well for having it and giving them access to the data. So it almost evens out. [emoji106]

How about just waiting to activate when my truck actually get's stolen? It takes them maybe a few min to do this? Plus, I would guess onstar would still work with police to track the truck even if you don't subscribe.

Originally Posted by GMC-ATHow about just waiting to activate when my truck actually get's stolen? Â It takes them maybe a few min to do this? Â Plus, I would guess onstar would still work with police to track the truck even if you don't subscribe.Â

GMC-AT,

I just wanted to provide a little clarification. Even if your vehicle was previously activated, if the subscription expires or you choose to cancel it, your OnStar system will be deactivated and your two way connection will be disabled. All services - including Stolen Vehicle Assistance - will be inactive and OnStar can not connect to the vehicle without a keypress from the mirror to be reestablished. I hope this answers your question.

~Sara, OnStar Advisor

Social Media Team

Archived