Payload vs CWR

I have a new 2015 Chevy 3500 SRW crew cab long bed diesel and had 5000lbs airbags installed. I'm now searching for a camper. I bought this truck for the approx. 4,200lbs payload capacity stated in the Chevy brochure. If I subtract the curb weight from GVWR I get about 3,900lbs payload capacity. Either number is fine with me. When I got the truck home, however, I found a sticker in the glove box stating that the maximum camper weight ("cargo weight rating") for the truck is about 2,900lbs! That's a lot less than the payload number. (The sales guy sure did not mention that!)

2,900lbs is not much capacity at all. In fact, per the weight ratings on the Lance web site, they do not make a single long bed camper that I can put on my new one ton truck. Even the 8 foot models would be too heavy once they are loaded up. Of course, the camper sales guy says to ignore all this and go with a really heavy 11 foot camper. He says he sells this combination all the time.

What's going on? Is the entire cabover camper industry building products that violate truck ratings? Is Chevy being screwy with a max camper weight that is dramatically under payload capacity? Is nearly every truck camper on the road today dramatically overloaded?

I sure did not spend the money on a new one-ton truck to put a lightweight pop-up camper on it. If anyone has any insight into this I would really appreciate it.

Look in the door jamb or door sil area of the drivers side. On my 2014 1500, its actually on the door itself near the kick plate I think. Not sure what stickers are in the 2015 glove boxes but the standard weight info that is the "gospel" of weights is in the door. check that and report back.

I see about 4000lbs as per the GM Website....minus gear, fuel, options, people etc

http://www.gmc.com/sierra-3500hd-pickup-truck/features-specs/capabilities.config%3Dcrew_cab_long_box.html

The payload is located inside the driver's door jam. The payload is what it is and by adding springs, tires, etc.,etc., it will not change. The payload is what the manufacturer says it is.

Archived