Is it possible to add the factory brake controller?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the brake controller on my 2014 high country. It's nice it's integrated but I miss the boost feature from my Tekonsha P3. Also miss the presets for different trailers as I pull three different trailers with my truck on the P3 as well.

You can't option out of the controller on the high country so I was stuck.

You can't option out of the controller on the high country so I was stuck.

I have a High Country without it. The Max Trailering package is still a separate option even on the HC.

I have a High Country without it. The Max Trailering package is still a separate option even on the HC.

Max Trailer is not available on High Country. Max tow is LT with 5.3 or LTZ with 6.2 only. All High Country trucks have the Z82 trailer package with the JL1 brake controller optional.

kinda related..

my truck doesn't have the brake controller on the dash, but i have 2 different trailer light outputs, one is just the standard flat plug and one says its for lights and electronic brakes. does that mean that it automatically would engage the brakes when i hit the brakes on my truck?

does this mean i could pug in the oem one and change the dash cover section or same situation as the op and have to go aftermarket?

when i bought the truck i didnt care about the trailer brakes, both my boats dont have brake systems but i started looking at something to pull my bike and im seeing a lot of small trailers with electronic brakes.

does this mean i could pug in the oem one and change the dash cover section or same situation as the op and have to go aftermarket?

when i bought the truck i didnt care about the trailer brakes, both my boats dont have brake systems but i started looking at something to pull my bike and im seeing a lot of small trailers with electronic brakes.

One more time...you CANNOT add the OEM brake controller. However it is not hard to add an aftermarket brake controller - there is a cable that should be supplied by GM (some have gotten the cable in the mail, others had it in their glove box at delivery and others got it from their dealer). Cable plugs into the aftermarket brake controller and panel in the dash.

There are two plugs. Some trailers use the flat while others use the round. For instance, my utility and cargo trailers both use the flat since they don't have brakes. My RVs have always used the round connector and required a brake controller since they have brakes. The brake signal goes out through the round connector when you have a brake controller.

I hope this helps. By the way, there are several threads about the brake controller and towing in general. See Towing under this list

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/156600-2014-info-searching-topics-index-updated-051714/

One more time...you CANNOT add the OEM brake controller. However it is not hard to add an aftermarket brake controller - there is a cable that should be supplied by GM (some have gotten the cable in the mail, others had it in their glove box at delivery and others got it from their dealer). Cable plugs into the aftermarket brake controller and panel in the dash.

There are two plugs. Some trailers use the flat while others use the round. For instance, my utility and cargo trailers both use the flat since they don't have brakes. My RVs have always used the round connector and required a brake controller since they have brakes. The brake signal goes out through the round connector when you have a brake controller.

I hope this helps. By the way, there are several threads about the brake controller and towing in general. See Towing under this list

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/156600-2014-info-searching-topics-index-updated-051714/

This won't be the last time. There will be more topics it will be asked again and again :)

Ryan

thanks. OP didnt say if he had both plugs, no plugs or just 1 plug, didnt know if there was a difference or not.

i thought i saw some 14s that didnt have any plugs on the back.

if i need it ill get a aftermarket one, ill see what trailer i pick up.

Archived