Headlamp Housing - Condensation

To the guys that had their headlights replaced - did it totally fix the problem? Or do you still see some fog?

After having mine replaced in December, no change.

so you still have the same foggy lights you're saying ?

That is correct. After I got it back there was no change. To be perfectly honest with you I have given up on these issues and try not to think about them anymore. The 'headlights' and 'recirculate' issues are not on GMs list of priority things to fix. I was talking to my autobody guy the other day and he believes the headlights are a bad bunch from the manufacture. Once they use all of them up and get to a different batch the problem may correct itself. I'll just wait and when the problem has gone away I'll just request another set of new headlights. Guess it could take a while, but time is on my side.

Im getting mine replaced hopefully this week.

Keep us posted. And take note if there is a difference in the appearance of the headlight.

I sure hope for GM's sake *Because I like GM* they get their stuff straight.. Dodge sure is picking up a big share, and brand new trucks with foggy headlights and smelly interiors sure aren't very appealing..

if it's not the headlights.. it a different issue with a different car maker. Just heard on the news 2 min ago Ford is recalling over 1 million cars for something about reduced engine power. Pick your poison...

I just saw Fords recall as well.. Every manufacturer has their own set of problems. My lights get foggy as well, but not enough for the condensation to pool and usually dries right up. Ill wait to see if the "newer" trucks have this problem, or wait to see if a member gets theirs fixed and see if it comes back. Mine only fog up occasionally though. When its warm out and raining nothing, but when its cooler after a front and raining, only in the high beam section of my truck get a little. It don't really bother me at this point but its not rainy season yet.

The dealer said the headlight thing is normal and had a printout from GM stating the same. They knew in advance that was one of the reasons I was taking the truck to them. So they had that literature ready. Basically, they said they can't do anything.

If the headlights are the exact same design.. I dont see any reason to get them changed anyway. Sounds like some folks that get the lights changed are still getting the same issues anyway..

The dealer said the headlight thing is normal and had a printout from GM stating the same. They knew in advance that was one of the reasons I was taking the truck to them. So they had that literature ready. Basically, they said they can't do anything.

If the headlights are the exact same design.. I dont see any reason to get them changed anyway. Sounds like some folks that get the lights changed are still getting the same issues anyway..

What does the print out say? Moisture in head light normal? Pic of replaced headlight anyone?

Edited by STex

When I removed my headlights and mounted my HID ballasts to them, I didn't see any vents or openings. In fact the round cap to access the bulb has a rubber gasket to make it seal when closed.

If the truck was assembled or the housings were opened on a day with high humidity, the moisture in the air can become trapped and cause your lights to fog up. After I installed my HID's (in south Louisiana where the humidity is always high), I noticed mine had some fog build up.

Easiest way to fix is with a little nitrogen, if you have access to it. My company uses nitrogen in it's tools, so I just the hose in the housing's opening, let the gas flow for a min or so, & then closed them back up. No more moisture/fog problems.

Question: does one need to remove headlight assembly for this ( nitrogen flood of assembly) or can you reach it as installed?

Edited by STex

Question: does one need to remove headlight assembly for this (nitrogen flood of assembly) or can you reach it as installed?

No, but you do have to remove the passenger side air box to gain access to the rear of that side's headlight. I just unscrew the rear caps, barely pull back to open a tiny slit, then spray, and close. Usually will do it a few times, pausing maybe 2 or 3 mins between each to let the air inside settle. Yes, it's behavior of an OCD madman, but oh well. ha

Unfortunately, I did notice a tiny bit of condensation in one of my headlights recently, so looks like water is still finding its way in. Eventually, I'm going to pull the entire housings out and cover every possible seam with clear silicone... until then, I'll just have to respray every couple months.

FYI: If you don't have access to nitrogen (or argon) gas, they sell it in spray cans for "wine preservation" purposes...

41UELQswr1L.jpg

• Like 1