Headlamp Housing - Condensation

I don't see anything different? All I know is that I'm not going to push the repair issue real hard if all they do it install the same thing... that may or may not fix it. I would rather those dirtbags stay away from my truck and not tear apart the front end changing them out...

• 2 weeks later...

Driving home and noticed a Sierra in my rear view mirror... only one of his lower LED strips were lit. When he got closer, I could clearly see the side not on was fogged up along the bottom. Not cool.

Just brought mine home...very disappointed....I actually pulled off the road at one time thinking lights weren't working. .. and the only part that was clear was rite in front of the projector....came home to no power at house got generator fired up and snapped these pic 1.5 hrs after I shut it off...total BS. ajeza8a7.jpg

Sent from My wicked Bad Note 3 via Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen 10+ Silverado and sierras locally whenever its raining and everyone was fogged... if I drive with the brights on, the high beam section doesn't fog but I can only do so during the daytime without pissing too many people off... The moisture is going right through the lenses... I parked my truck with rainwater still on the headlights and wherever there was a water drop, there was moisture directly behind it... GM needs to make the lenses thicker... Its like the cheap after market ones that you get one eBay... I'm surprised there isn't many more complaints because every truck I've seen has moisture..

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to taking my headlights out again. (I had some other wiring / stuff I wanted clean up so figured I'd pull & seal these too. I really hope my 10th time removing my front end is my last! Not sure how much longer until all the plastic tabs start breaking! ha) Anyway, looked over the headlights in detail for potential weaknesses. Decided to add additional seal the upper 1/3 of where clear plastic meets black (did across the top and about 1/3 down the sides). Also added butyl ruber over the rear vent (it's a little rectangle half the size of a stick of gum, with a silver "mattress protector" type film/cloth over it - let's air through but not moisture.. supposedly) and a ton around the headlight adjustment screws. Refilled housings with inert gas and resealed the HID wiring.

It's been months since I've noticed any fogging but figured might as well go overboard now to avoid issues down the road. I'll let y'all know if my efforts fail down the road :thumbs:

When I got back from my drive home from buying the truck my headlights looked just like wvridgeriders pic. Haven't driven it again with the headlights on yet but haven't seen any moisture since. I'm thinking it has something to do with the heat inside the light then the cool night air, acting like a dehumidifier.

When I got back from my drive home from buying the truck my headlights looked just like wvridgeriders pic. Haven't driven it again with the headlights on yet but haven't seen any moisture since. I'm thinking it has something to do with the heat inside the light then the cool night air, acting like a dehumidifier.

It's a rain cycle happening inside the headlight (like the one's some of us made with 2-liter bottles in gradeschool) Problem is, there shouldn't be that much moisture inside the headlight to begin with!

It's a rain cycle happening inside the headlight (like the one's some of us made with 2-liter bottles in gradeschool) Problem is, there shouldn't be that much moisture inside the headlight to begin with!

But they're made in a sweat shop in Mexico.

But they're made in a sweat shop in Mexico.

That's was my original thinking. Like in Mexico, here in south Louisiana we have high humidity, and so if you open your housings you've let moisture in. That said, most headlights are made outside the US but moisture isn't an issue from the factory. That difference points to a likely defect in design/manf.

• 2 months later...

So yesterday I noticed my passenger headlight fogged up. I just finished the HID install on Wed and washed the truck the next day Thurs. Then Saturday late afternoon the passenger headlight fogged up. I figured if it was gonna fog up it would be right after it was washed if it was caused by the HID install. I have the HID install so I am sure the dealer won't warranty it since I have the wire running through the rear cap. Could the fogging issue be related to the LED models. I haven't heard anyone with SLE headlights complaining?

Edited by Payton34

I was at the Daytona 400 a couple weeks ago and 1/2 of the 2500HD Chevy official Daytona track trucks had moisture in the lower lamps. Guess this issue isn't just the 1/2 tons

Never any moisture in my SLE headlights. Mine is garaged every night though, so that could make a difference.

I have had my truck since last September, so it has been through all four seasons.