How is your 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 Engine working out for ya?

On 2/26/2015 at 7:12 AM, Brian S. said:

I had the 4.3l with 4wd/3.42 gears Xcab last year, now have the 5.3l with 4wd/3.42 gears Xcab and agree with what you say.

In normal driving, the 4.3 and 5.3 drive largely the same. The difference is when you put the pedal on the floor because that's when you tap into the extra horsepower and torque.

This is what I thought when I test drove one back in 14 or 15. At the time I was look a replacement for my wife's Impala as pickups retain more resale.

I think if a guy only towed a fishing boat, lawn mower, or it was a town vehicle the 4.3 would fit the bill. It was very peppy around town, but when I got out on the highway at 60 and hammered down was when I could tell the difference. My goal of hauling 4 snowmobiles at 75 mph or better from Iowa to Colorado wasnt going to be met.  

I may have chimed in before but, I put about 32k miles on a 2014 Sierra SLE with a 4.3 and traded it in for a 2016 Silverado with a 5.3, I was not a fan of the 4.3, I mean it did the job but, it was under powered for the double cab 4x4 truck... Both trucks have 3.42 rear ends...

• Like 1

On 10/26/2016 at 8:06 PM, Dnt said:

I do not drive a 4.3 but was just scanning through the thread. I was curious how well the 4.3 trucks did on fuel mileage. I think the biggest problem with a TRUCK is it like trying to push a Brick through the air no matter what engine it has. Just not a lot of aerodynamic efficiency in the design LOL. I will have to say that I am not too upset with my 6.2 8spd after reading this, it is actually averaging over 20 mpg over its 8500 miles life so far. On a recent rip to Chicago a bit over 400 miles it averaged 25mpg (hand calculated at 24.8mpg so DIC is pretty much dead on) not babying it just driving the speed limit. Big ole 420hp V8 feels like it is just loping along with no strain at all.

My work truck 2 wheel 4.3 on fill up says 650 miles to empty, my 5.3 4 wheel drive 450 miles  to empty on full tank

Bought a 4.3 RCSB 3.23 axle but drove a 5.3 RCSB 3.42 axle before making a decision.Price between both trucks was the same but the V8 work trucks in my area were very low optioned and the power difference was marginal.Overall I can agree that for the $1000 up charge there is really no real reason not to get a 5.3 assuming the options are what you want but IMO the 4.3 doesnt really leave much to be desired.

Edited by WHITESSTOWPIG

Bought a 4.3 RCSB 3.23 axle but drove a 5.3 RCSB 3.42 axle before making a decision.Price between both trucks was the same but the V8 work trucks in my area were very low optioned and the power difference was marginal.Overall I can agree that for the $1000 up charge there is really no real reason not to get a 5.3 assuming the options are what you want but IMO the 4.3 doesnt really leave much to be desired.

My 18 Z71 5.3 can feel like a slog sometimes, so I can only imagine the 6 w/4.3 feels like being stuck in molasses from time to time.

1 hour ago, captainzombie said:

My 18 Z71 5.3 can feel like a slog sometimes, so I can only imagine the 6 w/4.3 feels like being stuck in molasses from time to time.

My '15 with a 4.3 and the 3.42 gear ratio has proven to be very predictable and never disappoints.  I am planning to get a 5.3 for the higher tow rating but my V6 responds well as a daily driver and when towing my current travel trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been pretty happy with my 4.3.  Lowered on 22's I'm getting 20+ to the gallon, towing a car to Kentucky from South GA recently I averaged around 15 mpg, and the transmission got a little warm going through the mountain grades but overall she towed like a champ, only real thing I'm missing is the exhaust note but I'm pretty happy with the exhaust I have on it now, definitely no replacement for the nasty v8 sound though

towing.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT with a 4.3 and this engine performs surprisingly well. It accelerates quickly when I step on the gas just like my Tahoe.  While I do miss the deep rumble of the V8, I like being able to drive longer between fuel stops.  I don’t do a lot of towing so this engine fits my needs well.

• 8 months later...

Had mine for a few months now (RCSB 4x4) and I have zero complaints so far! I use mine mostly as a daily driver to and from work and lugging my canoe and kayak around on weekends. The truck has never made me feel like I needed more power in normal driving situations, especially passing on the freeway. Not to mention, the fuel economy has been great. I've been averaging around 10-10.5 liters per 100 kilometers (26-28mpg), have yet to calculate by hand though.

• 5 months later...

I have a 2014 Sierra 4.3, and I love it. Of course it isn’t a v8 but to be totally honest you rarely need a v8 unless you tow every day. It hauls my 4 wheeler in the 8 foot bed and a trailer with 3 other 4 wheelers no problem. Going up steep hills you may notice a difference between it and the 5.3 but nothing crazy. I have a big lift on mine with 35 inch tires and I honestly thought my truck would be a turtle and need a tune at the very least. But it doesn’t. It’s a fantastic motor. I will however say the exhaust note is not good haha. If you plan to do exhaust on the 4.3 consider just not doing it. It’s very hard to make these great motors sound good. (IMO) I was a HUGE sceptic of this motor when I got it, but I haven’t regretted it one day out of the 6 years and 70k I’ve owned it for. GM with the 4.3 is much superior to ford ecoboost. 

3 hours ago, Dylansierra12 said:

I have a 2014 Sierra 4.3, and I love it. Of course it isn’t a v8 but to be totally honest you rarely need a v8 unless you tow every day. It hauls my 4 wheeler in the 8 foot bed and a trailer with 3 other 4 wheelers no problem. Going up steep hills you may notice a difference between it and the 5.3 but nothing crazy. I have a big lift on mine with 35 inch tires and I honestly thought my truck would be a turtle and need a tune at the very least. But it doesn’t. It’s a fantastic motor. I will however say the exhaust note is not good haha. If you plan to do exhaust on the 4.3 consider just not doing it. It’s very hard to make these great motors sound good. (IMO) I was a HUGE sceptic of this motor when I got it, but I haven’t regretted it one day out of the 6 years and 70k I’ve owned it for. GM with the 4.3 is much superior to ford ecoboost. 

It is basically a V-8!  Love that engine......

Now at 108,000 miles. Pinion seal. Flex plate cover.

About as trouble fee as they get. 

Every time I cross a new marker someone drops a hate bomb. 

On 11/5/2018 at 4:45 PM, djw88 said:

not sure if the transmissions are different than the v8s but a friend of mine has the 4.3 for fleet vehicles and the transmissions start to have problems around 120k 2wd single cab

They just don't want to let you get to comfortable.

:crackup:

On 8/20/2019 at 8:27 PM, jshrubs said:

Had mine for a few months now (RCSB 4x4) and I have zero complaints so far! I use mine mostly as a daily driver to and from work and lugging my canoe and kayak around on weekends. The truck has never made me feel like I needed more power in normal driving situations, especially passing on the freeway. Not to mention, the fuel economy has been great. I've been averaging around 10-10.5 liters per 100 kilometers (26-28mpg), have yet to calculate by hand though.

Sorry I meant 22.4-23.5 mpgs, miscalculation!

So I havent driven a 4.3 since the 95s s10 blazers were around. But i just cant fathom a 4.3 ever being good enough for a full size truck. 

Maybe if your used to putting around in a 4cyl honda, but if your used to trucks then your gonna want more power.

Granted I live in Texas, and I use my truck for actual truck duties. 400+ lbs of tools always in it. Towing trailers, boats and a travel trailer.

I own a 5.3 Yukon XL and it definitely feels like a dog compared to my 6.2 Sierra. Ever since buying that yukon I swore to never buy a 5.3 again. 6.0, 6.2 or the new 6.6. But I do use my truck alot. And honestly some of the stuff I do or tow probably should have me in the 3/4 ton market.