How is your 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 Engine working out for ya?

Better than my gmt900 5.3 V8. Never been one for the smaller motors in full size trucks but this thing exceeds all my expectations for a V6.

That's good to hear. Bad thing is about the forums is you read about an issue and then you might start looking for it. I am on my third Harley and stopped reading the boards because those make all kinds of noises...lol. Just looking to see how people felt about it. I know when I got into a 2014 and drove it I was very impressed but waited a year bought a 2015. My last V8 was a 2007 f150. I am also impressed with this engine,

Couldn't be more true. Most people who speak poorly of things on forums go searching for a place to speak that way. It's very rare you find people who are completely satisfied who go looking for a place to tell people how happy they are. Of course this motor is not a V8 and of course it isn't as powerful as one but it is lightyears ahead of what I pictured for a V6 in a half ton and for that it gets my vote.

Edited by corwest
  • Like 3

I've got about 26,000 miles on my 4.3 and have been very pleased with the performance and towing so far that I have done with it.

I wouldn't pay much more for the 5.3, however I do regret not getting the 6.2L, that motor is BEAST

I had a 2014 4.3l 4WD LT Z71 Silverado with the All Star pack last year and think it's a good engine, but I did have one problem with it.

I tow a 2500lb boat at least weekly for half the year. The engine has enough power to easily tow that much weight, but there is no external transmission oil cooler on that model. I asked the dealer I bought it from to install one, and they refused, stating there was no part for it and that they did not recommend I add an aftermarket part.

I couldn't get what I wanted so I bought a 2015 5.3l LT Z71 Sierra with Value Pack with an external cooler. Probably overkill for something that likely wouldn't have been a problem, but I lost a year of miles on the truck, added a year of payments at $12/mo higher, so it wasn't a big deal.

Other than the transmission cooler, I liked the 4.3l a lot. It drove a lot like my three previous 5.3l Silverados, and even very close on the towing. That's amazing for a NA V6 in my opinion, I'm more impressed by this than the Ecoboost.

From what I can tell the 4.3l gets 1-2mpg better than the 5.3l.

• Like 1

Well I test drove one right when they hit the lot in 2014, regular cab, and I couldn't believe it, I couldn't believe it was a v6. I waited a year and found a double cab, I don't haul a lot, I just have always drove trucks and dint need a 4x4. I wanted a WT, didn't want all the bells and whistles... Heck I was upset I couldn't get crank windows. But what I want and had to have was the G80 locker, two sand bags in the back and snow is no problem this truck is straight up awesome.

This engine is very nice, I couldn't be happier with the engines power gas mileage. I have had no remorse buying this truck...

• Thanks 1

7000 miles on mine. Love everything. Really want to try towing with it. Just don't want to go overboard. Would like to trailer my Mustang to the track with it and maybe a travel trailer see how it does

Also if anyone has real world figures on level kit and larger tires, I'm interested in mall crawling

16000 miles on mine. Have towed between 3000-3500 and it did it very well. Worst tank of gas has been 15.3 (towing in western Maryland mountains) and my best has been 22 (running 75 going to Disney). For everyday driving not much difference between it and my brothers 14 CC 5.3. When he steps on his thats the difference. Not enough for me to worry about though...

• Like 2

16000 miles on mine. Have towed between 3000-3500 and it did it very well. Worst tank of gas has been 15.3 (towing in western Maryland mountains) and my best has been 22 (running 75 going to Disney). For everyday driving not much difference between it and my brothers 14 CC 5.3. When he steps on his thats the difference. Not enough for me to worry about though...

I had the 4.3l with 4wd/3.42 gears Xcab last year, now have the 5.3l with 4wd/3.42 gears Xcab and agree with what you say.

In normal driving, the 4.3 and 5.3 drive largely the same. The difference is when you put the pedal on the floor because that's when you tap into the extra horsepower and torque.

The 4.3l with 3.42 gears is only 1/2 second slower 0-60mph than the 5.3l with the standard 3.08 gears, the 4.3l moves the truck around very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My car weighs about 3400 lbs I figure 1,000 for the trailer. And I'm looking at 20 ft pull behinds. Roughly 3500-4200 dry weight I wonder if I'm expecting to much or not

My car weighs about 3400 lbs I figure 1,000 for the trailer. And I'm looking at 20 ft pull behinds. Roughly 3500-4200 dry weight I wonder if I'm expecting to much or not

I know my truck 4x4 double cab 3:42's had no problem pulling what I put behind it. I was able to maintain 67 mph going up mountains right at 3800 rpm. I could've gained speed if I wanted to. Truthfully I would have zero problems pulling 6000 pounds. I would take it slower so I could stop easier. This new 4.3, while not a V8, is a very solid performer. You will be just fine with that weight!

• Like 1