How is your 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 Engine working out for ya?

I just drove from NJ to FL for vacation with the 4.3 dbl cab and i was amazed with the MPG even though i didnt bought the truck for that. I actually was able to get between 24-27 MPG but with the weather being 80+ i noticed how my trans temp has been high between 195 and even reaching to 208 and now im worried because i will be heading back soon to NJ in a couple days. When im on highway, it slowly drops. I let it idle but it stays in the 195+. It goes up pass 200+ when i start to drive. Any suggestions before I extend my vacation?

Mine ran hot also... but didn't skip a beat and oil didn't darken... so I figured, drive it like you stole it, that's what warranty is for... and it never did skip a beat.

• 7 months later...

I thing if GM puts a turbo on this engine it becomes the most popular in the line up.

I also think if they add that transmission cooler and drop price to $2500 less than the 5.3l, they sell more trucks and bump market share on this engine over 30%. The ONLY reason you don't see more of these is the MSRP is $1000 less than the 5.3l.

Hello, revisiting this thread... Thanks for the input guys. Still love the truck. But it thought the truck has a transmission cooler in the radiator and it kicks in at 192 degrees or something like that?

Hello, revisiting this thread... Thanks for the input guys. Still love the truck. But it thought the truck has a transmission cooler in the radiator and it kicks in at 192 degrees or something like that?

It does have the transmission cooler in the radiator. I wanted an external cooler because I'm old school and think a truck should have one.

GM guys told me the new fluids have a higher tolerance of heat and not to worry about it, I still think it would be a good idea. The 5.3l I have now has an external cooler, the 6.2l does as well. Apparently they aren't obsolete for most of their trucks?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It does have the transmission cooler in the radiator. I wanted an external cooler because I'm old school and think a truck should have one.

GM guys told me the new fluids have a higher tolerance of heat and not to worry about it, I still think it would be a good idea. The 5.3l I have now has an external cooler, the 6.2l does as well. Apparently they aren't obsolete for most of their trucks?

Got it Brian Thanks

Other than the trans fluid temp running higher than I'm comfortable with, my 2015 4.3L is doing fine. Little over 3000 miles. I'm going to add a Tru Cool Mini Max trans cooler to it very soon & be done with the high fluid temps.

I have 2600 kms on my 2015 Sierra CC with the 4.3 V6 engine and am very pleased. I traded in my similarly equipped 2009 Sierra CC with a 5.3 V8 after 153,000 kms. I prefer the versatility and ride of a full sized pickup truck which has been my vehicle of choice for over forty years. The downside of my previous truck was fuel consumption from both a cost and, in some small way, an environmental perspective. I loved my last Sierra but I was one who always wished I had a V6!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am very happy with my 4.3. I use the truck in the same manner as my previous, similarly equipped, 09 with a 5.3. I find this truck much more enjoyable to drive and my trips to the gas pump have been very noticeably reduced in frequency.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

That's good to hear. Bad thing is about the forums is you read about an issue and then you might start looking for it. I am on my third Harley and stopped reading the boards because those make all kinds of noises...lol. Just looking to see how people felt about it. I know when I got into a 2014 and drove it I was very impressed but waited a year bought a 2015. My last V8 was a 2007 f150. I am also impressed with this engine,

X2 Since my 74 Impala with a 454 V8 I've always been of the impression that "there's no substitute for cubes". Recently I've accepted that design, materials and technology is at least if not more important in a power train than the size of the engine.

I use a good dealer and bought plenty of vehicles from him so he's more than willing to put up with some of my crap. It was time to trade the '13 Malibu "grocery-getter" for a '16 and there were two choices the old body '16 which I favored with the 2.5 liter and the new body with a 1.5T. I wanted the cheaper old version with the larger engine and the wife loved the sleek shape of the new version with the $800 tricoat paint job. To discourage the wife I tested both loaded down with two of the largest salesmen in the dealership and to my amazement the 1.5T was at least if not more responsive and quicker than the 2.5. This 1.5 turbo engine is barley larger than a motorcycle engine and provides quick response and power and gets over 40 mpg. and the dealer provides lifetime warranty on the engine. Makes me rethink why I paid another $1095 for an AFM V8!

Edited by Thomcat