How is your 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 Engine working out for ya?

Very happy with my 4.3L GMC DC 2wd. Have about 4200 miles on it now. Use it for daily driving in mostly stop and go traffic, getting 18 mpg lifetime according to the OnStar app. Don't plan on doing much towing so this engine is more than enough for me. Anyone tried putting a leveling/lift kit and bigger tires? Might go that route in a couple of months.

Edited by Angel27

2004 4.8l V8: 285hp, 295ft lbs torque

2004 5.3l V8: 295hp, 330ft lbs torque

2014 4.3l V6: 285hp, 305ft lbs torque E10

297hp, 330ft lbs torque E85

Numbers don't lie, the 4.3l is a good engine. The new 5.3l is a better engine, but it costs more to run and insure, and costs more up front.

I drive a 2014 DC with the 4.3 and Z71 Package. Absolutely love the truck. I modified the Airriad MIT for the 5.3 to fit the 4.3 engine. Currently planning on doing a black bear tune as well. I don't really tow anything, but i have had 1200 lbs of Concrete in the back a few months back, and truck drove like there was nothing there. I would recommend this engine to anyone.

• Like 1

I drive a 2014 DC with the 4.3 and Z71 Package. Absolutely love the truck. I modified the Airriad MIT for the 5.3 to fit the 4.3 engine. Currently planning on doing a black bear tune as well. I don't really tow anything, but i have had 1200 lbs of Concrete in the back a few months back, and truck drove like there was nothing there. I would recommend this engine to anyone.

I put a K&N air filter in mine, and 200 miles later the dealer I bought it from marked "Needs service soon" on the Air Filter box on the check list.

Seems like GM is no fan of non AC Delco air filters.

That's strange, mine has been to the dealer quite a few times the last month, recall, stuck in 4wd, oil change, and even to fix a dent that they caused while truck was being service. I have a K & N air filter plus the intake tube and dealer has never said one thing about them. Guess it all depends on the dealer.

I thing if GM puts a turbo on this engine it becomes the most popular in the line up.

I also think if they add that transmission cooler and drop price to $2500 less than the 5.3l, they sell more trucks and bump market share on this engine over 30%. The ONLY reason you don't see more of these is the MSRP is $1000 less than the 5.3l.

• Like 2

I thing if GM puts a turbo on this engine it becomes the most popular in the line up.

I also think if they add that transmission cooler and drop price to $2500 less than the 5.3l, they sell more trucks and bump market share on this engine over 30%. The ONLY reason you don't see more of these is the MSRP is $1000 less than the 5.3l.

You might be on to something there. For me it was a budget and I was Gina stick to it come hell or high water. Lol

I love mine it is a 2014 z71 dc 4.3.I don't tow alot and when i would have to tow the truck would do it.I just didn't want to pay the extra 1500 for the 5.3 and they had a deal for the 4.3.The way i look at it if you need the extra horsepower it is not much more money to go with the 5.3 but if you don't need it the 4.3 is a awesome motor.

I love mine it is a 2014 z71 dc 4.3.I don't tow alot and when i would have to tow the truck would do it.I just didn't want to pay the extra 1500 for the 5.3 and they had a deal for the 4.3.The way i look at it if you need the extra horsepower it is not much more money to go with the 5.3 but if you don't need it the 4.3 is a awesome motor.

It's definitely a better deal than the 4.8l it replaces.

The 2013 4.8l made its 305ft lbs torque at 4600RPM, the new 4.3l does it at 3900RPM. (and has 230 ft lbs at 1200RPM)

They only sold 4 speed transmissions with the 4.8ls, so the 4.3l with a six speed should be a much smoother driving truck than the 4.8l ever was.

I'll put it this way:

I've had the 2014 4.3l with 3.42 gears and the 2015 with the 5.3l and 3.42 gears. If they put the transmission cooler on the 4.3l trucks I would definitely consider one again. The driving experience isn't all that different.

• 2 weeks later...

I traded a 2012 crew cab 3.42 gears 4.8L V8 on a 2014 double cab 4wd 3.42 gears 4.3L V6 and loved the difference. Awesome mileage, great empty power, adequate towing power for my 6000 pound camper.

Just traded the 2014 4.3L on a 2015 5.3L for a little more oomph in the towing department... wanted to go from adequate to great. Haven't towed yet, only had it a week.

That's strange, mine has been to the dealer quite a few times the last month, recall, stuck in 4wd, oil change, and even to fix a dent that they caused while truck was being service. I have a K & N air filter plus the intake tube and dealer has never said one thing about them. Guess it all depends on the dealer.

Hello to a fellow Buffalonian...Uncle sam decided I need to live on the west coast now but originally from there.

What fix did they apply for the stuck in 4wd issue? Did they just do programming? Or tell you to switch it back to 2hi before turning it off every time (idiotic 'fix' if i ever heard one, lots of folks driving all these gm trucks with autotrack and we all have left it in 4auto most of the winter...)

They ended up reprogramming the TCM and the transfer case I believe, and your right, their current fix is to switch it back to 2wd high at night. My fear is that I damaged something while it was stuck in 4wd and I might be right. Went to drive it today in 2wd and put the truck in drive, went to go and it basically felt like a neutral drop. Truck reved then slammed into gear and sounded like rear axle was binding while turning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bet you'll notice a nice difference.

How's the acceleration as compared to the V6?

Well, it certainly does have better acceleration when I tromp on it, but I don't often drive like that... I'm not very often in a rush for anything.