My Intake Mod

Oil in the ports. Gotta get the oil separator can installed.

Oiled%20intake%20port_zps22ysjjqr.jpg

Your quote-You should research the various products out there and chose for your application, situation, and as importantly, your lifestyle. My lifestyle is to expect to use the truck like GM intended, with a similar maintenance schedule. That doesn't include remembering to drain a catch can. end quote

So I guess that has changed.

Note-

Part of the maintenance service is an induction cleaning on all dry intake systems as build up on the intake valves is normal-

whether it is oil or carbon

IMHO

Oil in the ports. Gotta get the oil separator can installed.

Oiled%20intake%20port_zps22ysjjqr.jpg

Your quote-You should research the various products out there and chose for your application, situation, and as importantly, your lifestyle. My lifestyle is to expect to use the truck like GM intended, with a similar maintenance schedule. That doesn't include remembering to drain a catch can. end quote

So I guess that has changed.

Note-

Part of the maintenance service is an induction cleaning on all dry intake systems as build up on the intake valves is normal-

whether it is oil or carbon

IMHO

I don't know what you mean about something changing. I have no plans to drain a catch can.

I guess I missed the maintenance service requirement in the owners manual for the induction cleaning. What does GM recommend? Where can I find this requirement?

Edited by spurshot

This is true at full throttle but there are separate maps/tables for part throttle. It's programmed to severely (like 20-30 degrees in some places) retard the cam in the cruising/light accel ranges for an EGR effect for fuel mileage.

I kill that, lose no mileage, and pick up part throttle response/torque.

Just FYI, it doesn't change the intake cam, it moves the whole cam. LSA is fixed just like on non-variable cams, it retards intake/exhaust together. No separate adjustment for intake and/or exhaust.

Thanks for the tip, Higgs. I don't know why I didn't think to look at that before. The computer is basically giving the engine a "big cam" at low RPM at light throttle, the exact opposite of what you'd want for driveability/performance.

Unfortunately it looks like fixing it will be a lot of work as it puts me back to the drawing board with my timing map. I spent a lot of time getting that timing map perfect in that range but with the extra cam retard taken out I get a bunch of KR. At least that proves it's having the desired effect--higher dynamic compression due to "smaller cam."

Spur, i just thought of something..

i hope the air intake box that you had originally in the truck has not changed..

if the air intake where the MAF is is any larger in size you could severely damage the engine because if the diameter is larger and you used the same MAF, it will be running your truck too lean. the MAF reads the amount or air passing through it as a velocity. if you increase the diameter of the pipe the MAF will read the same but cannot account for the extra air passing through the larger tube.

this was a problem on the toyota tacoma aftermarket intakes several forum members shared they had caused severe engine damage because they were running too lean.

your fuel trims will self adjust but the ECM unless programmed and MAF re-calibrated will not be able to compensate when under open loop mode and the engine will be running lean and also under WOT which is bad.

so if you have replaced the filter box top where the maf is located you might want to measure and make sure both are the same diameter.

Edited by bass mechanic

Kevin,

The MAF is attached to the filter box. I didn't change that. The 6.2 and 5.3 use exactly the same air filter box and duct (including the MAF) to the throttle body. The only difference is the rubber connector (bonded to the duct, not sold separately) to the throttle body.

Kevin,

The MAF is attached to the filter box. I didn't change that. The 6.2 and 5.3 use exactly the same air filter box and duct (including the MAF) to the throttle body. The only difference is the rubber connector (bonded to the duct, not sold separately) to the throttle body.

You are correct same part number... Spur I just got my Manifold, TB and gasket (O-Rings) ordered for my truck. Can't wait for the install and tune. Have you checked average mileage recently...not really an issue for me but just curious.

RT

You are correct same part number... Spur I just got my Manifold, TB and gasket (O-Rings) ordered for my truck. Can't wait for the install and tune. Have you checked average mileage recently...not really an issue for me but just curious.

RT

I monitored mileage this past trip to Yosemite. No change.

I talked to Airaid and the 5.3 and 6.2 tube is the same part number...the only thing you will need is the Silicone coupler at the TB and tube for $26 and change + ship and a #60 Stainless worm clamp. I found some 8 ply Silicone tubing for $9 local and the size is 4"inlet 4"outlet and 3"length. I will be tuning mine after the install.

RT

Edited by 07Softail
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

positive values are degrees of retard.

How about a snapshot of your timing tables for Jon A. and I now, since you did all the footwork already. :)

I just assumed low rpm cam angle was actually getting results in fuel mileage so I never messed with it. Pretty excited about playing around with it now, well... Besides timing maps.

Thanks for info Higgs

Edited by TDT

This is your stock intake tube,

1aa7c6a3-3ca5-43fd-a771-5a1087f8f02c_zps

This is what goes on inside the corrugated flex connector. The corrugated tube effectively acts like a much smaller diameter smooth tube.

Corrugated%20tube%20flow_zpsoiqicxzs.jpg

If there's a lower airflow in the stock duct, this is likely the biggest offender. I'd like to buy two of the "hump" connectors from Airaid and a short piece of plastic pipe, cut the corrugated section out and run a back to back dyno test on a stock engine and also run it against a MIT tube.

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 1

I think it will flow almost as well...just without BAWWWWWAAAAHHHHHH sound of the MIT! Larry Meaux has some of the Best Flowing port work I have seen and he dimples the ports like a golf ball for fuel atomizing. That being said would it matter if the ports or intake inlets have a little turbulence being that the fuel is DI'ed into the chamber and really not having to be atomized in the intake as in the past :dunno:

RT