Anyone else getting the run around on warranty service?

My 2014 Silverado High Country is just about a year old, with 8100 miles. My wonderful $55K truck that I (mostly) love.

I took it in for its second oil change and service today to my nearest GMC dealer, where I had previously taken it for two recalls and an oil change.

Today, I wanted my second oil change, and I'm also having the rust issues described in this thread. These are pictures of my actual truck underside, showing some of the rusted areas underneath.

So the GMC dealer refuses to look at the rust issues, though he is willing to do the oil change. He says GM will not allow him to work on the rust. I told him thanks but no thanks on the oil change, I will just take it back to my selling dealer who is 20 miles away.

Question 1: Does GM really prohibit GMC dealers to work on Chevy on some warranty work and not others.

Then I drive out to my selling Chevy dealer. They are unable to fit me in today; I have to make an appointment. I raised the rust issue to the service tech., plus another issue I am having with Pandora and the radio going in and out. So he says I'll need to bring it back leave the truck with them for a day (or possibly two, if I drop it off on a Saturday). I say ok, can you give me a loaner if you have to keep it? He says sorry, we can put you in a rental you have to pay for, because GM will not cover loaners for this sort of issue. Also, for that rust issue, I will need to have a manager to look at it to "see what we can do for you". The manager may or may not be in when you come by.

Question 2: There is clearly visible rust in many, many spots on a 1 year old $55K truck. Does GM really need a manager to evaluate the rust to stand behind its product? Is that the way to empower its front-line employees?

Question 3: When I owned a Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai would put me in a loaner if they ever had to keep the car for a day or more. That was a $26K SUV, and Hyundai never ever balked at standing behind their warranty, and providing loaners. Is this GM not standing behind its product or these two dealers?

Yea I'm not sure the full limitations but if you have a Chevrolet dealer within your area, and you go to a GMC dealer with a Chevrolet, there are some things they are prohibited to do as far as warranty items.

They know about the wax peeling issue. The rust you see isn't going to break your truck its just surface shmutz. They can fix it by cleaning and redoing the frame.

The GMC Protection Plan show elsewhere in this forum says:

"Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac Extended Protection offer superior coverage that meets or exceeds the industry’s best products.

Customers enjoy the peace of mind that vehicles may be serviced at any Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac Dealership nationwide, by factory trained certified service technicians, utilizing genuine GM/OEM parts (as applicable)."

The GMC Protection Plan show elsewhere in this forum says:

"Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac Extended Protection offer superior coverage that meets or exceeds the industry’s best products.

Customers enjoy the peace of mind that vehicles may be serviced at any Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac Dealership nationwide, by factory trained certified service technicians, utilizing genuine GM/OEM parts (as applicable)."

:crackup:

so long

j-ten-ner

"meets or exceeds the industry’s best products "

When I was truck shopping, both Ford and RAM trucks (new on the lot) had a ton of underbody/frame rust. You think they are packed in salt for shipping. The Chevy's had far less. So meeting (and exceeding) that bar is pretty easy for GM. <g> The weird part, looking at the engine compartment and various other components under the vehicle, most of it has zero rust and looks like it will stay that way. Just a few places on the frame and a few pieces here and there.

For the DIY types, "SEM 39308 Rust Seal Protective Coat"...

• 2 weeks later...

My 2014 Silverado High Country is just about a year old, with 8100 miles. My wonderful $55K truck that I (mostly) love.

I took it in for its second oil change and service today to my nearest GMC dealer, where I had previously taken it for two recalls and an oil change.

Today, I wanted my second oil change, and I'm also having the rust issues described in this thread. These are pictures of my actual truck underside, showing some of the rusted areas underneath.

So the GMC dealer refuses to look at the rust issues, though he is willing to do the oil change. He says GM will not allow him to work on the rust. I told him thanks but no thanks on the oil change, I will just take it back to my selling dealer who is 20 miles away.

Question 1: Does GM really prohibit GMC dealers to work on Chevy on some warranty work and not others.

Then I drive out to my selling Chevy dealer. They are unable to fit me in today; I have to make an appointment. I raised the rust issue to the service tech., plus another issue I am having with Pandora and the radio going in and out. So he says I'll need to bring it back leave the truck with them for a day (or possibly two, if I drop it off on a Saturday). I say ok, can you give me a loaner if you have to keep it? He says sorry, we can put you in a rental you have to pay for, because GM will not cover loaners for this sort of issue. Also, for that rust issue, I will need to have a manager to look at it to "see what we can do for you". The manager may or may not be in when you come by.

Question 2: There is clearly visible rust in many, many spots on a 1 year old $55K truck. Does GM really need a manager to evaluate the rust to stand behind its product? Is that the way to empower its front-line employees?

Question 3: When I owned a Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai would put me in a loaner if they ever had to keep the car for a day or more. That was a $26K SUV, and Hyundai never ever balked at standing behind their warranty, and providing loaners. Is this GM not standing behind its product or these two dealers?

Yes today at 474 miles i was refused a fix for my rear end "Clunk" when shifting from r to d or d to r 2015 GMC Sierra 474 miles , i was handed a service bulletin stating its normal in all GM vehicles? WOW!

If GM puts out a paper any defect or poor workmanship can be made normal.

Update on my end... my Chevy dealer service manager took the truck in and will be sending it to their bodyshop for the undercarriage work. Let's hope they do the job right.

When I went in to drop it off another service advisor at the Chevy dealership looked at me like I am crazy when I showed him the rust. He says... trucks are going to rust.

I told him I would show him my Hyundai Santa Fe which has zero rust on it and a perfect paint job 6 years later. My one year old $55K Chevy is rusting and has paint chips. Hyundai has half the price, and much better quality. Pity they do not sell trucks in the US, or I would have bought one. He took the work order and moved on.

The dealer is full of it, rental is covered on GM's dime in the event the vehicle has to be kept over night for repairs. The dealer has the first day to try and repair the vehicle before they are required to give you a rental.

The dealer is full of it, rental is covered on GM's dime in the event the vehicle has to be kept over night for repairs. The dealer has the first day to try and repair the vehicle before they are required to give you a rental.

Correct.

My dealer has always been great to work with. They replaced my windows and it took about 5 hours and they were happy to offer me a rental for the day. I didn't even ask for it. I was planning on getting a ride from a friend but then they offered me a rental so I took it.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

A frustrating thing about GM that we learned the hard way. We bought a Mercury, and since the Ford dealer was closer, we had all our warranty work done at the Ford dealer. No problem.

Naturally, we figured it worked the same way with GM. Bought a Sierra, and the first time it needed warranty work, we took it to the (much) closer Chevy dealer. "Sorry sir, we can't do warranty work on GMC vehicles." Would have bought Chevy had I known that. They had no problems working on it once it was out of warranty.

Maybe the larger dealerships, with both GMC and Chevy under the same ownership, can push papers around so that you can have work done at the closer shop. But I wouldn't count on it when buying.

I had a Chevy dealership do warranty work on my Denali for me per GM's request. They mostly fixed one issue, said they fixed another, but didn't actually fix it. An attempt to follow-up with them to get them to do work, including actually fixing what they said they fixed the first time was declined by their Service Manager. Their reason was they are a Chevy dealership, GMCs are a bit different, and so they can't work on them. They also said they did the work the first time as a "courtesy to GM".

As for rentals, every time I've had work done, even if it takes less than a day, I am given a loaner. For example, I went in for the headlight upgrade, and they said it would take them a few hours, so they gave me a truck to go get lunch in without me even asking. Each time I just fill out a paper that basically says they are billing GM $38/day for the loaner truck. Don't know if they actually bill it.

I dropped my HC off today for an oil change/rotation/inspection and to do a warranty Nav update and look at the air conditioning condensation drain. They said they are running a little bit behind and it may be Friday before I get it back, they gave me a new (145 miles) loaner crew cab LT.

Archived