Oil type

gluman

With the purchase of my 2014 1500 Silverado I received 4 oil changes at no cost. Now that I have used these 4 free oil changes I now am doing my own services. When looking into the oil type I find that the dealer was using 5W30 Dexos when the the owners manual says to use 0W20 Dexos 1. Is there any damage that was done by the dealer putting the wrong in?

With the purchase of my 2014 1500 Silverado I received 4 oil changes at no cost. Now that I have used these 4 free oil changes I now am doing my own services. When looking into the oil type I find that the dealer was using 5W30 Dexos when the the owners manual says to use 0W20 Dexos 1. Is there any damage that was done by the dealer putting the wrong in?

What motor is your truck? the 4.3L V6 spec is 5w30, whereas the 5.3 V8 and the 6.2 V8 are 0w20 spec.

Not sure what harm can come from using 5w30 in a 5.3 or 6.2 tho.

This is the problem with having the dealer change the oil....did they put in the correct oil, but the guys in the parts department write down the wrong oil on the ticket? Incompetence is so prevalent that I just don't trust anyone any more.

I believe it did no harm to your motor. That little difference in oil weights is no big deal IMO. If you did not detect any issues why make one.

On my first oil change, the comments said "We use genuine Mr Goodwrench oil products...5W30". So, I asked the Service Manager and he showed me that they used 88864004 which is bulk 0W20 oil. Seems they hadn't changed their canned message on the Oil Change Gas Engine header. On the next change, they had the appropriate message in the comments section. Not sure if that helps...

This is the problem with having the dealer change the oil....did they put in the correct oil, but the guys in the parts department write down the wrong oil on the ticket? Incompetence is so prevalent that I just don't trust anyone any more.

I once (around 1996-7) had a dealer claim on the paperwork to have changed the timing belt on my BMW. I asked the SA to confirm they had done this work. Oh, yes, we always change the timing belt on a xx,000 mile service, he said. I asked him how they had managed to do that on an engine with a timing CHAIN. Apparently they had not changed their description in the computer and no one had ever questioned it.

Archived