G80 Gear Lube - Eaton phone call today

Figured . Plus I cannot find 75/90 Syn gear oil locally w/out LS additives.

Redline 75/90 NS should fit the bill. I've used it in 1 tons towing heavy loads and it reduced the diff temp significantly.

Don't get the Redline 75/90 without the NS designation as it does contain a friction modifier.

Edited by Last C5

^ My 5 gallon pail of Conoco Phillips 75/90 Syn will do just fine and comes out much cheaper than most bottle oils. Plus it's got Mack, Eaton, Road ranger, on and on of all kinds of approvals. Stuff we'd never see on a bottle of X brand at Autozone. But yes, good advise Last C5, the NS designation is critical. I've used redline GL-4 80W IIRC in 80's supra manual transmissions. Best oil in the world for those things.

• 4 years later...
On 2/13/2016 at 5:48 PM, redwngr said:

Probably why the new diff fluid is 'lube for life' and does not require changing.

Right.  Not for the life of the vehicle.  And certainly not the owner.  Maybe right for the life of GM until the next bankruptcy, though.  

On 4/1/2020 at 9:48 AM, paumat said:

The million dollar question:  is using off the shelf Mobil 1 or valvoline (that already contain a small amount of additive) going to ruin your G80? It seems tons of people have used the Mobil 1 or valvoline. 

The answer is no.  I've used both in my G80 trucks and never had any issues.  Currently running Valvoline Full Synthetic 75W90 both front and rear in my 18 and it doesn't have any effect.  The only thing you really need to worry about is if you have the Posi style rear end and using the correct amount of limited slip additive.  If you don't put in enough of the limited slip additive, the clutches will not engage properly.  The amount of limited slip additive in both Valvoline and Mobil 1 is very small and no where near enough for a Posi style rear end.  I always had to buy the additive for my 94 Camaro when it still had the 10 bolt in it and add it to the gear oil or the Posi would not work properly.

I thought this would work for limited slip rear ends.

spacer.png

This for G80. Very little additive I believe.

75W-140 Full Synthetic Gear Oil, 1 Quart

Used this in my truck without issues.

Synthetic 75W-90 GL-5 Gear Oil, 1 Quart

:)

Edited by diyer2

• 2 weeks later...