If you are unfamiliar with guns, find someone who has some you trust to take you shooting. Buy the ammo, that goes a long way. They will usually be happy to take you.

As others have said, you'll never know if you just buy one wether or not it is a good fit for you. I spent almost 10 years as a Marine and qualified as expert on both the m16 and the Beretta 9mm and others. I was surprised how many Marines were not all that good of a shot and how uncomfortable some were with pistols as apposed to rifles. If you are apprehensive or untrained the gun can be used against you or you will not be as effective in using it.

There are also liability issues if you use a gun or even pull one. Be well versed in your local laws.

Dogs are an option, but like said above, they are a commitment and lifestyle. Also beware of puppy mills and low level breeders as a lot of their dogs will be inbred. With a dog you never know what you are going to get. The gun is pretty much a given.

My personal carry is a Karh CW9. I have a lifetime permit. There is also the option of doing both. Get a good family dog that is loyal. If nothing else it may deter many would be troublemakers or give you time to get to the gun. Quick access gun safes open in a sec or two.

• Like 2

Thanks again!

Since I had pets pretty much throughout my life I know its a huge commitment. Something I like, even enjoy. A dog is still on my mind, it would fit my life style. The biggest issue is having enough time. I need to figure that one out first.

In regards to the gun... I guess it's the unknown that scares me so the only way to figure out if it could be an option for me is to try. What's good for one person could be not working for another.

I will open up more.

BG,

As Graphic pointed out, their can be a lot of uncertainty with a dog. When I got into bird dogs, I researched how to minimize the risk of a dog with limited ability and maximize the odds you'll end up with a dog that is a top performer for your task.

Basically, you have three resources at your disposal: money, time, and your intelligence. Everyone has their unique combination of these. To a degree, you can shift the balance of these resources. For example, if you have a limited budget, but a lot of time and a good head on your shoulders, you may be able to get a well bred puppy and raise it and train it yourself. Conversely, if you have more money and less time, you can have a dog professionally trained or even buy a young partially or fully trained dog.

I have a friend that competes with German Shepards in some kind of police-like situation events. I know his approach to acquiring dogs is similar to mine: 1) right breed, 2) right breeding, 3) right training.

Money

Most people have a notion on what a dog will/should cost. They're wrong. Well, they're probably right when you're talking about a pet. What I'm proposing is not a pet, but a high performance working dog. Don't take that to mean the dog won't be a pet/companion. A well bred and trained working dog is a better companion dog than most random pets. I don't know the market for what a security dog puppy or trained dog can cost. I will tell you bird dogs of the right breeds, reputable lineage, and reputable breeders, run from about the top of the pet shop prices ($500 ish for a puppy) to what people pay for new cars (tens of thousands) for the dogs in the upper end of competition field trials at the national level.

Time

Only you can say how much time you're willing to commit to learning what type of dog, where to buy, how much of the training you're willing to do. My situation limited my time and places where I could train. I chose to buy dogs with training. One was partially trained, the other fully trained. I don't regret either of those choices. The partially trained dog forced me to invest time in learning how to train. I took professional bird dog training classes from nationally recognized trainers.

Intelligence

The more you learn before making a purchase the better the odds are in your favor. Find a local club that does what you're goals are. Buy books or research online specifically what you want out of a dog. Don't buy/acquire a puppy/dog because it's cute or an "opportunity " just comes along. To paraphrase the real estate saying "breeding, breeding, breeding". That means not only a dog of the right breed, but of a documented history of performance and temperament for your needs. That documented history should be competitions and organizations publications. Temperament of the dam and sire should be high on your list, since you want a dog that can perform aggressively, but not be aggressive unless you command it. That would be where I would be cautious in getting the right breeding.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It seems to me, what you are really struggling with, is deciding if you have the ability to inflict harm on another, even if it is justified.

I can understand that, very few people like the idea of hurting anyone else. You are probably like most people, in the fact that you may go your entire life without your life being put in jeopardy by another human being.

The purpose of owning or carrying a gun is not because of the average day, or even the unusual, but that one random day 3 years and 184 days from now when you find yourself in a situation, where you might have to kill someone else to survive.

I don't mean to push you towards something you aren't comfortable with, and by all means the odds are in your favor that a gun may never help you. Its just food for thought.

• Like 1

If you are not comfortable with firearms, get yourself a taser and a can of pepper spray, they work well most of the time. Just remember that the threat is still there going that route and there is potential for more harm. With a firearm, that chance becomes much, much slimmer.

Edited by BlackZ71Silverado

Find a professional trainer. If you're in Socal, I can recommend http://firearmstraining.com/

Greg Block is the real thing. He trains civilian and law enforcement. You don't need any gear or guns.

If you're not in Socal, find a similarly credentialed trainer. Good neighbor Sam might be ok, but you'll likely miss out on some basics.

Firearms professionals are frequently former academy-trained law enforcement officers. Their motive in introducing/training you in using firearms for self defense is to provide you the resource to protect yourself and your family/possessions. They work with more concerned/unsure people than you could possibly imagine. Find someone you like and take a class that involves range time.

What's seems to be scary about owning a gun is the unknown. Handle that part, educate yourself. You'll discover firearms are to be respected but aren't threatening when left in a holster in a drawer in your nightstand. They only become threatening when you decide you need it. To the disrespectful perp, of course.

Good luck. Be safe.

To the OP - see if you can get some training and then decide if you should own a gun for self defense. Do not just get a gun and think you are protected.

Guns are just tools, nothing more. You need to know how/when to use any tool you own. No point in owning a tool you are not trained to use properly.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's a tool that we have a right to have, but it's useless if you don't know what to do with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I'm proposing is not a pet, but a high performance working dog.

Well she started out high performance but life got in the way.

Still a good watchdog...if awake.

aLrhm1E.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the dog but get both. You owe yourself that much. Go find a handgun that fits you at a local store/range and learn to be proficient with it, take some classes as mentioned. I work in retail currently and carry every single day. Been broken into once, and had an attempt while i was at home not a good feeling in any case. Either way i seriously do not like going anywhere without my handgun.

Get some training and quality instruction of someone with credentials. NRA Cert a minimum.

Owning a gun no more makes you a gunfighter than owning a piano makes you a pianist.

And if you need a gun to protect life of you or loved one (only justifiable reason in most places) you're in a gunfight.

Taking your and your families self defense as in part your responsibility is just that, a HUGE responsibility.

Range time and instruction matters, equipment matters little. Your mind is your weapon and the device a tool.

Knives make very bad self defense tools as they are contact weapons and require very advanced levels of training.
And, you will likely be cut in a knife fight...
Never underestimate the level of ferocity your attacker may possess.

Firearms are force multipliers far beyond that of a striking tool or edged weapon.

Be safe, get instruction, and stay practiced.

Best wishes/safety, etc.

Dave

Get some training and quality instruction of someone with credentials. NRA Cert a minimum.

Owning a gun no more makes you a gunfighter than owning a piano makes you a pianist.

And if you need a gun to protect life of you or loved one (only justifiable reason in most places) you're in a gunfight.

Taking your and your families self defense as in part your responsibility is just that, a HUGE responsibility.

Range time and instruction matters, equipment matters little. Your mind is your weapon and the device a tool.

Knives make very bad self defense tools as they are contact weapons and require very advanced levels of training.

And, you will likely be cut in a knife fight...

Never underestimate the level of ferocity your attacker may possess.

Firearms are force multipliers far beyond that of a striking tool or edged weapon.

Be safe, get instruction, and stay practiced.

Best wishes/safety, etc.

Dave

I agree with everything you are saying except the highlighted part. You do not need a "justifiable reason" to own a gun. It is a right.

I agree with everything you are saying except the highlighted part. You do not need a "justifiable reason" to own a gun. It is a right.

Waumo1,

Either I mis-phrased my statemment or you misunderstood my intended point (likely a little of both) of my post.

To clarify; my intent was to state that the ONLY legally justifiable reason to use a firearm against another is to protect the life of one's self or a loved one. That's it.

This has NOTHING to do with the RIGHT to own a firearm and The Second Amendment.

As among other things, a former employee of the NRA, I am fully aware of our rights to keep and bear arms.

Waumo1,

Either I mis-phrased my statemment or you misunderstood my intended point (likely a little of both) of my post.

To clarify; my intent was to state that the ONLY legally justifiable reason to use a firearm against another is to protect the life of one's self or a loved one. That's it.

This has NOTHING to do with the RIGHT to own a firearm and The Second Amendment.

As among other things, a former employee of the NRA, I am fully aware of our rights to keep and bear arms.

OK got it now. I think there are states where it is legal to use a firearm to protect your property. Thanks.

• Like 1