I am not a gun nut or prepper just a realist. If you reject your personal responsibility to be in a position to defend yourself or your family in case of an emergency situation then you are simply irresponsible.

• Like 1

While defense of life an property is indeed a major reason to own a firearm, or several, how much the risk is of needing one and what type is also a consideration. I had a CCL for 5 years but I never carried one time in that interval. So I let it lapse. I have a couple of shotguns and several rifles at home, along with a .45 auto. I really don't feel the need to have any of them with me when I am out and about. I have carried one of the rifles in the pickup out checking property occasionally. My wife recently went and got her CCL, mostly at the prodding of my step daughter, yet she still hasn't gone out and scouted for a suitable handgun.

There is always the risk to anything in life. There is always a risk of being in a major accident, but I don't feel the need to have a cage and all the protective stuff like a NASCAR auto to protect me. I don't live in a high crime area but a rural area, so I don't feel the need to be packing everywhere I go. Sure, there is always a chance that someone might want to do a shoot up somewhere, but the risks of that in my area are pretty remote.

if it makes you feel safer and you feel motivated to carry, and carry in your vehicle, then by all means go for it.

Clips are used in M1 Garands (one of my favorite firearms) and that is where the term "clip" got ingrained in pop terminology. Those rifles served in 3 of our wars and millions of service members had exposure to them. Everything else gets magazines. So damn clips are a valid comment, just depends on the firearm being discussed. I am quite sure the police were not using Garands.

Its a mag when inserted into the firearm such as a handgun. Clips are not a mag so dont refer to them as one and vice versa. I live in a safer area too, but i still carry every day. I refuse to allow some thug scum try to pull a knife, or bat, or hell even a gun on myself or my wife. I wont be a victim if that rare possibility every were to happen. Edited by kilowhiskey

Clips are inserted into the M1 Garand. They are ejected by the rifle on the last round fired. So clips are indeed inserted into the firearm just like a magazine. You just have no experience with such things. You probably are thinking of stripper clips that rounds are packaged on in military form and inserted into magazines. Totally different type of clip.

Edited by Cowpie

Clips are inserted into the M1 Garand. They are ejected by the rifle on the last round fired. So clips are indeed inserted into the firearm just like a magazine. You just have no experience with such things. You probably are thinking of stripper clips that rounds are packaged on in military form and inserted into magazines. Totally different type of clip.

And then there is the stripper clip that is loaded with ammo and NOT inserted in the firearm...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Read the last part of my post. I mentioned stripper clips.

M1 Garand clips with 8 rounds ammo. Total unit is inserted thru the open bolt area of the receiver. After last round is fired, the empty "clip" is ejected and then the firearm is loaded with another clip full of 8 rounds. While the M1 was a first class battle rifle by any measure, when the empty clip was ejected from the rifle, it would make a distinctive "ping" sound that could tell an adversary that you had fired your last round.

post-122677-0-02654400-1484448851_thumb.jpg

This is a ammo stripper clip. These are inserted into a feeder coupler on a magazine and the rounds are "stripped" from the clip by pushing them down into the magazine......

post-122677-0-35066100-1484448944_thumb.jpg

Now, do we have this all settled? Clips are indeed used in firearms as are magazines. So we can all get off this "they aint clips, they're magazines" stuff kilowhiskey. You are showing a lack of knowledge with your insistence about these things. I realize maybe some of the younger crowd is not as familiar with all the nuances of firearms over the years. I was exposed to a lot of this as a young man wearing the uniform. Have lot of time in with M1's, M14's, M16's, M60's, 1911's, and several other interesting pieces of weaponry. Actually was quite fond of the FN-FAL and Isreali Galil. Never could develop a fondness for the 16.

Edited by Cowpie

Read the last part of my post. I mentioned stripper clips.

M1 Garand clips with 8 rounds ammo. Total unit is inserted thru the open bolt area of the receiver. After last round is fired, the empty "clip" is ejected and then the firearm is loaded with another clip full of 8 rounds. While the M1 was a first class battle rifle by any measure, when the empty clip was ejected from the rifle, it would make a distinctive "ping" sound that could tell an adversary that you had fired your last round.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-01-14_20-52-02.jpg

This is a ammo stripper clip. These are inserted into a feeder coupler on a magazine and the rounds are "stripped" from the clip by pushing them down into the magazine......

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-01-14_20-52-53.jpg

Now, do we have this all settled? Clips are indeed used in firearms as are magazines. So we can all get off this "they aint clips, they're magazines" stuff kilowhiskey. You are showing a lack of knowledge with your insistence about these things. I realize maybe some of the younger crowd is not as familiar with all the nuances of firearms over the years. I was exposed to a lot of this as a young man wearing the uniform. Have lot of time in with M1's, M14's, M16's, M60's, 1911's, and several other interesting pieces of weaponry. Actually was quite fond of the FN-FAL and Isreali Galil. Never could develop a fondness for the 16.

We all know when you say clip, you mean magazine. So call it what it is. I do know there such a thing as clips. During my time in service, it was always called a mag as well when referring to a hand gun and m4/m16.

You must be just trying to play a game with me. The M1 Garand does NOT use a magazine, it uses a 8 round clip that is inserted into the rifle and is ejected automatically on the last round. Unlike a stripper clip, the rounds are not stripped off the M1 clip into any magazine, either of a removable type most are familiar with or the permanent style like the old SKS 7.62x39, but the entire clip is inserted into the rifle. Unlike a magazine, the clip is not reused, but discarded after it is ejected from the rifle (thought it can be reloaded with 8 rounds if necessary). How difficult is this for you to realize. Your military experience had to have been extremely limited, or you are just pulling my chain. The M1 Garand clip has never been referred to as a magazine by either personnel who used the M1 or military publications and technical manuals.

So I am calling it what it is. It is you that haven't come to grips with what it actually is... a clip. Got ahead if you wish to pursue this. Prove to me and everyone else that I am in error on the M1 Garand. Dig up any official publications you want, contact any vets (probably old coots like me) who actually used it, etc and prove me wrong. It is sometimes wise to not get into arguments about things you have no direct experience with.

Edited by Cowpie

On to a different related subject. I live in Texas with the castle law that covers house and car. I don't have a carry license, I would if you could get one that covers every state with one test because I travel. So I go unprotected when I leave the house. I only travel during daylight and stop at well travel areas. A few years ago my father got held up at a rest area in the daytime that had security while my mother look on. If they weren't afraid to carry in the motor home my mother would have blown the guys brains out. If they didn't travel to NY or NJ they probably would have chanced it, but their laws are brutal, so just the bad guys have them, and the police who can't be everywhere.

On to a different related subject. I live in Texas with the castle law that covers house and car. I don't have a carry license, I would if you could get one that covers every state with one test because I travel. So I go unprotected when I leave the house. I only travel during daylight and stop at well travel areas. A few years ago my father got held up at a rest area in the daytime that had security while my mother look on. If they weren't afraid to carry in the motor home my mother would have blown the guys brains out. If they didn't travel to NY or NJ they probably would have chanced it, but their laws are brutal, so just the bad guys have them, and the police who can't be everywhere.

The Texas CHL is widely recognized. No reason not to have one as a majority of states will honor it.

You must be just trying to play a game with me. The M1 Garand does NOT use a magazine, it uses a 8 round clip that is inserted into the rifle and is ejected automatically on the last round. Unlike a stripper clip, the rounds are not stripped off the M1 clip into any magazine, either of a removable type most are familiar with or the permanent style like the old SKS 7.62x39, but the entire clip is inserted into the rifle. Unlike a magazine, the clip is not reused, but discarded after it is ejected from the rifle (thought it can be reloaded with 8 rounds if necessary). How difficult is this for you to realize. Your military experience had to have been extremely limited, or you are just pulling my chain. The M1 Garand clip has never been referred to as a magazine by either personnel who used the M1 or military publications and technical manuals.

So I am calling it what it is. It is you that haven't come to grips with what it actually is... a clip. Got ahead if you wish to pursue this. Prove to me and everyone else that I am in error on the M1 Garand. Dig up any official publications you want, contact any vets (probably old coots like me) who actually used it, etc and prove me wrong. It is sometimes wise to not get into arguments about things you have no direct experience with.

We are not talking about the M1 and its use of clips. We are talking about you calling a magazine fed firearm a clip fed. Looks like you might need to go through the military again and learn the proper way to talk about guns.

You are indeed a class act. I never mentioned about calling magazines a clip, I simply stated that clips are accurate term for some firearms. You are definitely getting all tied up in knots over this to where you can't even recall what I had stated. You might want to just simmer down and look at what was said as opposed to getting all tied up in knots over terminology. Clips, specifically en bloc clips like I mentioned are indeed a valid term. It just depends on the firearm.

Oh, I don't need to go do all the playing Army stuff again. Got more than my fill of it and have spent several decades trying to put it behind me. One thing for certain, I sure am glad you were not in my recon team. Sure didn't need someone who could get all bent out of shape over trivials. I guess I can get a little picky sometimes also. When I went thru boot, there was a deep aversion to calling a weapon a "gun". Could get one is alot of hot water with a Drill.

From my post that started this little broohaha, specifically post #89.......

Clips are used in M1 Garands (one of my favorite firearms) and that is where the term "clip" got ingrained in pop terminology. Those rifles served in 3 of our wars and millions of service members had exposure to them. Everything else gets magazines. So damn clips are a valid comment, just depends on the firearm being discussed. I am quite sure the police were not using Garands.

• 4 weeks later...

I own multiple firearms, I hunt, go to the range and I also own some guns just because I like them. I do not CC or open carry, as I think it can be a blessing and a curse if you get into a situation..i do have firearms for home defense. Your best bet would be to take some classes, shoot and see if you like guns..otherwise buy a knife or some mace if your worried for your safety.