AC Condenser replacement

benjdow

bdbake01 that is a friggin awesome post. To take the time to type all that up and even include a PIC. This will be very useful to anyone looking at replacing an AC Condenser. The selflessness of our fellow GM Trucks forum members knows no boundaries. Makes a person proud to be a member here. Kudos to bdbake01

• Like 1

bdbake01 that is a friggin awesome post. To take the time to type all that up and even include a PIC. This will be very useful to anyone looking at replacing an AC Condenser. The selflessness of our fellow GM Trucks forum members knows no boundaries. Makes a person proud to be a member here. Kudos to bdbake01

Well thanks! Just trying to help out, give back a little. Forum has certainly helped me!

FYI, I considered a full writeup with pics for the removal and install, but this dude did a pretty decent job so why reinvent the wheel. Will include here for those looking:

He really didn't leave out anything that'll complicate your life. I will say that a 10mm speed wrench will make your life better when removing the bolts on the underside of the cross brace. If you remove the lower filter box, there's actually a hole down there that'll let you access the hard lines from the top a little easier.

Edited by bdbake01

Please keep us updated how this condenser is working, any noticeable difference from the original, etc.

Thanks!

Very early report says that it works just fine. My HVAC buddy is totally OCD, so I'm certain I got an excellent charge. He even used a digital micro pressure gauge on the leakdown check. We left the vac pump on (large residential unit) run the entire time we were screwing with the trans cooler, so I'd say we pulled every last bit out! I was waiting to hear a "POP!" from collapsing the condenser LOL. Had the gauge pegged at -15 psi (on the big gauge) so I'd say we got very near as we could to perfect. Added 2 oz oil.

On the ride home, roughly 1/4 mi, it was already too cold and had to back it off max. I'll check back when I get a few more miles.

Edited by bdbake01

Check in.

Drove it tonight to a movie outing with the fam (Wonder Woman, dude, goood movie!). Worked fantastically! Cut through the typical hot/humid KY weather like a charm!

Glad some of you are fixing your truck's. Save all your receipts and document your time. GM is going to pay for this if I have anything to do with it. I have contacted an attorney, the attorney general of my state and since I was recently helping my son shop for a used Ford truck, I let everyone know how poorly GM is treating current owners. Every lot had multiple 14/15/16 models on their lots, hmm, wonder why. Call your AG's people, power in numbers.

Glad some of you are fixing your truck's. Save all your receipts and document your time. GM is going to pay for this if I have anything to do with it. I have contacted an attorney, the attorney general of my state and since I was recently helping my son shop for a used Ford truck, I let everyone know how poorly GM is treating current owners. Every lot had multiple 14/15/16 models on their lots, hmm, wonder why. Call your AG's people, power in numbers.

Wow, bdbake01!

Awesome post, indeed!

I don't post much but that has to be one of the most helpful posts I've ever seen on a forum. Props!
Anyway, I don't have any new updates from GM customer service yet. I'll keep y'all posted.
Side note: It's f*ckin' hot down here... Damn you, GM...

Well that's great.... sent my truck in today to get my a/c looked At on my 14 silverado, and after reading all this and then them calling me and telling me that's the problem not happy!! But good news is will be fixed tomorrow with 100$ deductible, I have 92000kms and warranty is done at 100000kms ?

Well that's great.... sent my truck in today to get my a/c looked At on my 14 silverado, and after reading all this and then them calling me and telling me that's the problem not happy!! But good news is will be fixed tomorrow with 100$ deductible, I have 92000kms and warranty is done at 100000kms

Were they able to get you fixed up?

Update on my truck: After 90 days of being told the condenser was on back order, I left a review of the dealership on a social media website. Within an hour of doing so, I got a call from the dealership. The customer service person told me they had an aftermarket condenser in and would I be ok with that. I said yes. Yesterday afternoon they installed it and I now have cold air. I will let you know how it goes.

The service manager also talked to me after it was completed and told me that they got a bulletin from GM saying that over a half million trucks are affected by the condenser issue. Apparently the aftermarket is making up for GM's ability to supply condensers.

Update on my truck: After 90 days of being told the condenser was on back order, I left a review of the dealership on a social media website. Within an hour of doing so, I got a call from the dealership. The customer service person told me they had an aftermarket condenser in and would I be ok with that. I said yes. Yesterday afternoon they installed it and I now have cold air. I will let you know how it goes.

The service manager also talked to me after it was completed and told me that they got a bulletin from GM saying that over a half million trucks are affected by the condenser issue. Apparently the aftermarket is making up for GM's ability to supply condensers.

Yep. Not just making up, but possibly fixing it would seem. My aftermarket piece appears to be WAY more substantial than the OE piece.

• Like 1

This is turning into the biggest design failure of the K2 generation. It is not if, but when the line fails on all K2 trucks. Hoping the newest redesign holds up better than the old add a bracket line.

Yup!