AC Condenser replacement

benjdow

What's everyone's updates on this?

I've been waiting for 2 months now and dealing with a (seemingly) helpless Customer Service department (GM Customer Service, not my dealership.)

Nothing has happened, and STILL no one has claimed responsibility. I'm extremely upset, to say the least...

Is the 4.3 having issues to

This I don't know. And, honestly, I'm VERY seriously considering stuffing a 4.3 condenser into my 6.2. Only because they are available and apparently would work just fine based on pics.

Been watching them for weeks. Problem is, eBay has become an electronic storefront for parts distributors. I've had 5, FIVE purchases cancelled today from eBay. It's that bad. And I've been given excuses from "...our system needed some time to update" to "...what is the eBay program need update time" LOL

Seems it's 46.

Anyway, as I said I lucked out today and caught one in stock. From looking at it, it's possible that at least some manuf are trying to address one, maybe more of the issues. This particular piece is a "ToughOne" brand and as you can see from the pics, the end caps and the filter/dryer tube have substantially beefier connections to the core itself. I'm pointing to the location where my leak was on the OE piece with a swedged tube instead of a weld. In fact the whole thing does, in fact, appear "tougher". We shall see.

post-128223-0-66700900-1497654012_thumb.jpg

post-128223-0-87863100-1497654020_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Install went smoothly. About 2 hours, with time for radiator cleaning (necessary!) and a beer. All and all not too bad. Only lost one bolt. I'll consider it marginally necessary at this point. Hopefully I can get it charged up tomorrow.

One thing I did notice was that the "ToughOne" condenser, though it definitely appears tougher than stock, uses a two piece, rather tiny desiccant and filter. It comes pre-installed, which is nice, but I'm not sure where a replacement would be easily sourced. The stocker will not fit without some SERIOUS poking and cursing, which I opted not to do and I went with the pre-installed pieces.

Ok so update. Like I said, install went smooth. Not all that bad. Fired it up last night, ran for a few seconds, had dinner, bed.

Get up today, buddy says come over and we'll gas up.

Well alrighty then.

Short drive, just down the street. Get there, pop hood, we get to talking. About 5 mins later I notice a puddle. First thing I thought was "Oh, just the AC sweating". Then I remembered why I was here in the first place. Doh! Take a sniff, red. Trans fluid. Dang it.

Flashlight and the passenger's side is dripping bad. Can't really see where from, so we start tearing into it. Get down to the trans cooler area, fire it up, sure enough, passenger side leaking badly.

Maybe I didn't get the line back in good enough? Pull out, back in. Leaks.

Maybe they didn't put in an o-ring? Pull line, check, nope it's in there. Back together, leaks.

Ok, maaaybe the line is scarred/mashed or just torqued to the side. Check all that. Leaks.

Ok, I've seen bad o-rings. Get mirror check it ALL over real good, looks fine. Pull it out and replace it with the old ring from my old condenser (PITA). Fire it up. Leaks.

Crap, what's going on. Already thinking of backup plan to remove trans cooler from old piece and ty-wrap it on. But, let's just remove the entire fitting and replace with the old one. Surely it's just scarred or egged or something. So I get to work on old fitting. Does NOT want to unscrew. Almost got me thinking maybe it was brazed, but finally it did come out. It's got an o-ring seal on the exterior as well. Nice.

Go to remove the fitting from the new cooler. Buddy says "Wait..what about warranty?" I'm like, ok, better call and see if they have another before I destroy this one trying to fix a factory flaw. Call, nope. I did get the only one, and none are available or even have an expected ship date. Great. "So, hypothetically speaking, if I just swap out these fittings, would that void my warranty?" Dude says "Well..tech-" and I butt in "Or should I just stop talking and we agree this conversation never occurred?" Dude laughs and says "Technically yes, but it's cool. Swap the fitting and if it still doesn't work, I got ya covered. Your warranty is fine since we never had this conversation!" Which is awesome, cause it's a lifetime warranty.

So, back to new condenser. I get geared up with BIG tools, and hold the condenser juuust right, cross my fingers and....thing practically falls out. Huh. Wow. Nothing wrong with threads, just wasn't in there tight at all and hadn't had time to seize up. Lots of worry for nothing.

I hold fitting up (still has old o-ring in it) and look through it. "Huh...that's interesting..." I hand to my buddy and he says "What? What do you see?" I says "You tell me?"...."Huh...it's kinda...I dunno, not quite round maybe?" Yep. O-ring's ID isn't perfectly concentric.

Grab the pick and work the old o-ring out, and this is what I see:

Stupid little *^^%#$%^ aluminum chip/burr that had nestled itself under the o-ring. And not only that, but it lasted there through all of our poking, prodding, o-ring swapping, etc. Tiny little thing, but juuuuust enough to let the fluid POUR.

So, moral of the story is I have what is possibly the world's worst luck, and check your fittings :/

Oh, and put it all back together, everything works great.

post-128223-0-30517300-1497735198_thumb.jpg

Edited by bdbake01

I can't believe you relayed such details of your experience, but sure am glad it's turned out well for you.

Hopefully GM is going to get this condenser issue sorted very soon. Summers in the South without A/C in the car are basically unbearable.