AC Condenser replacement

benjdow

$1400 sounds pretty high. But AC work seems to be very high compared to other service. That's the main reason I bought all the equipment to service AC myself about 10 years ago. The cost of the gauges, vac pump, and other miscellaneous tools is way less than many places bill you to re-charge a system.

It hasn't been all roses though. I've had my share of learning mistakes where I've replaced parts that didn't need it. This latest work on my K2 is an example. I chased the leak based on internet chatter about the lines. I bought all new lines, then noted that the compressor had been superseded due to problems I was seeing on the net too. So, I thought it may be the compressor. I even vacuum checked the condenser and evaporator with an isolation plate I made. They both vacuum checked fine. That's why I thought it was something other than the condenser and evaporator. Only after I had changed the lines and compressor and it didn't hold a charge for more than a few days did I re-check the evaporator and condenser with my adapter, using high pressure instead of vacuum. That revealed the condenser leak.

So, I've spent more on parts than I needed to. Probably $500 more this time around. Still with the $500 for the new compressor and lines, plus the $240 I paid for the condenser, I'm sitting pretty well inside the going rates for a condenser replacement, plus I have an almost completely new, latest configuration, system, except for the evaporator. Of course, I spent a bunch of time working on it. No free lunches...I guess.

Edited by spurshot

Just traded my silverado in for a 2017 Ram Power wagon. Just too many problems and dislikes with the silverado.

If I ever got a non-GM truck, the Power Wagon would be my first choice. Probably the most practically configured vehicle ever.

• Like 2

$1400 sounds pretty high. But AC work seems to be very high compared to other service. That's the main reason I bought all the equipment to service AC myself about 10 years ago. The cost of the gauges, vac pump, and other miscellaneous tools is way less than many places bill you to re-charge a system.

It hasn't been all roses though. I've had my share of learning mistakes where I've replaced parts that didn't need it. This latest work on my K2 is an example. I chased the leak based on internet chatter about the lines. I bought all new lines, then noted that the compressor had been superseded due to problems I was seeing on the net too. So, I thought it may be the compressor. I even vacuum checked the condenser and evaporator with an isolation plate I made. They both vacuum checked fine. That's why I thought it was something other than the condenser and evaporator. Only after I had changed the lines and compressor and it didn't hold a charge for more than a few days did I re-check the evaporator and condenser with my adapter, using high pressure instead of vacuum. That revealed the condenser leak.

So, I've spent more on parts than I needed to. Probably $500 more this time around. Still with the $500 for the new compressor and lines, plus the $240 I paid for the condenser, I'm sitting pretty well inside the going rates for a condenser replacement, plus I have an almost completely new, latest configuration, system, except for the evaporator. Of course, I spent a bunch of time working on it. No free lunches...I guess.

Even though it was all a lot of work and expense and all,you felt pretty good when you were done and it worked as it's supposed to,huh? I've done very similar with both my Burbs and having good A/C in wifey's Burb is mandatory lol,cuz we all know what happens if wifey ain't happy :)

Gary, good to hear from you. And over on the "electronic truck" forum too! LOL

Yeah gotta keep wifey happy. We took my truck up to Paso Robles back in April or May with the AC inop. Even with only 80f highs, she gave me the evil eye.

Fixing any problem and even maintenance is gratifying. I just did the front brakes on the Camaro. I don't do my wife's car maintenance. She has a mechanic she trusts. In rare cases I'll work on her cars. It's not just about saving money, its therapy for me. When it gets to where I don't get that feeling of satisfaction, I'll pay for it to be done.

2014 and the condenser went at 72000km. Called GM customer service and they said they would cover 25%. I have had countless issues with my truck that I am selling it and getting a Toyota, my brother has been a mechanic for 19 years and seen it all and he recommended from when I was looking for trucks " get a Toyota I never see problems" wish I would of listened.

• Like 1

You and your brother need to read all the complaints about the new Tacoma. Bad rear diffs with a 3-4 month wait to repair.

www.tacomaworld.com

2014 and the condenser went at 72000km. Called GM customer service and they said they would cover 25%. I have had countless issues with my truck that I am selling it and getting a Toyota, my brother has been a mechanic for 19 years and seen it all and he recommended from when I was looking for trucks " get a Toyota I never see problems" wish I would of listened.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I got the a/c leak virus!!! And I live in Houston!!! I haven't taken anything apart yet, i still had a bit of pressure the first time I started getting hot air, so I just added more refrigerant. The second time I went to auto zone and "borrowed" their manifold gauges and vacuum pump. The system held vacuum for about an hour. So I recharged it. Lasted a week. Now I went to harbor freight (I think I'm starting to like that store) and bought the gauges to be able to see what's going on. Tomorrow I'll be pulling vacuum to see what happens, but I feel like if it is the condenser, I might be able to hold vacuum again... is this a good hypothesis?

2015 Texas edition, 37,000 miles. No extended warranty. I feel like I could give this repair a try, I'm inclined to turn wrenches and know a bit about HVAC, so I'll start looking into it. But I'm so disappointed in GM. I always wanted a Chevy truck, but not like this.

New Condenser

This is the aftermarket condenser that my Chevy dealer installed under warranty. They asked first before they installed the aftermarket if I was okay with aftermarket. It does have quite a bit more meat where the trans cooler is mounted to the condenser. Should be a little better than factory anyway. He told me that they got 9 condensers in on Friday before I was at the dealer. I was there on Monday morning and they only had 3 left. I took the aftermarket and have been happy ever since.

Damn I got the a/c leak virus!!! And I live in Houston!!! I haven't taken anything apart yet, i still had a bit of pressure the first time I started getting hot air, so I just added more refrigerant. The second time I went to auto zone and "borrowed" their manifold gauges and vacuum pump. The system held vacuum for about an hour. So I recharged it. Lasted a week. Now I went to harbor freight (I think I'm starting to like that store) and bought the gauges to be able to see what's going on. Tomorrow I'll be pulling vacuum to see what happens, but I feel like if it is the condenser, I might be able to hold vacuum again... is this a good hypothesis?

2015 Texas edition, 37,000 miles. No extended warranty. I feel like I could give this repair a try, I'm inclined to turn wrenches and know a bit about HVAC, so I'll start looking into it. But I'm so disappointed in GM. I always wanted a Chevy truck, but not like this.

Get a flashlight and peer through the grill to get a look at the condenser. If there is a leak, you should see a wet oily area near where the leak is. Mine was on the driver's side up at the braze/weld where all of these condensers seem to have the leak...

• Like 1