AC Condenser replacement

benjdow

13 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

That makes better sense, but still feels like a 1/2 way fix. Thanks GM.

Is the reflective surface doing anything in this process, or is it just blocking airflow? Can I stick a can of spray paint in the grill and at least get the eyesore somewhat hidden?

I would mostly think just blocking airflow.  I see no reason it couldn’t be blacked out.

19 hours ago, 2kwik4u said:

Wait, so you're saying that the tape there is meant to work as a structural connection to help eliminate cracking in the area? Like a gusset of sorts? Surely not?!?

Its to block cold air, bees and dragonflies from cracking the lines of our Chineseium coolers. Funny how they up the price $10k every generation yet somehow more and more parts get made in inferior countries with inferior materials. More money, less quality. 

3 hours ago, 2kwik4u said:

That makes better sense, but still feels like a 1/2 way fix. Thanks GM.

Is the reflective surface doing anything in this process, or is it just blocking airflow? Can I stick a can of spray paint in the grill and at least get the eyesore somewhat hidden?

My point exactly.

Thanks for the replies. Much better information here than I got from the Service Writer at the dealership. Honestly I've always found message boards, and online enthusiast communities to be a great source of information.

I might be done with those dealership guys at this point. Took it in for 6 problems. They "fixed" 3 of them, made one worse, and completely disregarded (or gave me a crappy work around) for the last 2. Then charged the warranty company $2,800 for the few things they "fixed" (including the A/C system).

15 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

Thanks for the replies. Much better information here than I got from the Service Writer at the dealership. Honestly I've always found message boards, and online enthusiast communities to be a great source of information.

I might be done with those dealership guys at this point. Took it in for 6 problems. They "fixed" 3 of them, made one worse, and completely disregarded (or gave me a crappy work around) for the last 2. Then charged the warranty company $2,800 for the few things they "fixed" (including the A/C system).

All GM trucks are created equal.

It's the dealer that makes a difference.... and that's the truth.

Find a new dealer :thumbs:

22 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

All GM trucks are created equal.

It's the dealer that makes a difference.... and that's the truth.

Find a new dealer :thumbs:

Been considering this as well. This particular dealer was the volume sales leader in the area, so I figured they had the best chance of having the most/best techs. Perhaps I was wrong. There are 4 other GMC dealers here in the city, I'll give a different one a try and see how that goes on the next issue.

3 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

Been considering this as well. This particular dealer was the volume sales leader in the area, so I figured they had the best chance of having the most/best techs. Perhaps I was wrong. There are 4 other GMC dealers here in the city, I'll give a different one a try and see how that goes on the next issue.

Volume does not equate to quality.

With volume, it's all about how quick you can rush a job through to make room for another.

Low volume dealers seem to be more attentive and quality minded with repairs.

Not in every case but more so over a volume dealer.

• 9 months later...

Now it's my turn. 6 years and 69,000 miles. I recharged it Monday afternoon and it wouldn't build pressure on the gauge. Blew coldish air for a while. I had the defroster on full speed the whole way to work Tuesday morning to keep the windshield from fogging up. The leak showed up in the same EXACT spot on the condenser as everybody else.   I am going to tackle this job this coming weekend. Anybody that has done this can tell me how much R134a I need to buy?

On 8/1/2018 at 4:34 PM, Silverado-Hareek said:

A lot of folks here are saying GM should issue a recall which is amusing.  Understand that recalls are only issued for safety concerns and where death or injury can occur.  Air conditioning is not a safety concern, therefore they will never issue a recall for this. What will happen is they'll quietly fix the issue on newer trucks, and see what happens to the existing customers.  Out of those owners who's AC will break, you'll have 2 groups of people.  One group will complain and do research and speak to managers and demand help and they'll get some form of assistance from GM it sounds like for the repair.  Most though will swallow the painful pill of paying the full price to get it fixed and that's what GM is hoping....to spend as little of their own money as possible to fix a poor design.  That's just the reality of the situation.  So hopefully you're still under warranty.  If not and your AC breaks, be prepared to fight a little to get some help.

Me personally, I have a 2014 with 60,000 miles and so far the AC still works, but I'm expecting it to break before 100,000 miles.  I'm way out of warranty now so I'm going to have a fight on my hands when it does.

Well here I am almost 2 years later at 81,000 miles.  AC went out over the winter sometime....I discovered it when I tried to use it on a warm day.  Just bit the bullet this week and got it fixed.  $900 at the dealer to replace the condenser with the foil tape in the corner.  My understanding, after searching the new condenser part number, is this unit is what is used in the newer trucks, so GM seems to be doubling down on this part.  That gives me a little confidence that they have the issue sorted out.  I did not complain to the dealer though like I described above, mainly because I went to a different dealer that I liked better than the one I bought the truck from.  I didn't think it was fair to blast them for it when they didn't even sell me the truck.  We'll see how it goes....

3 hours ago, Cheverado said:

Now it's my turn. 6 years and 69,000 miles. I recharged it Monday afternoon and it wouldn't build pressure on the gauge. Blew coldish air for a while. I had the defroster on full speed the whole way to work Tuesday morning to keep the windshield from fogging up. The leak showed up in the same EXACT spot on the condenser as everybody else.   I am going to tackle this job this coming weekend. Anybody that has done this can tell me how much R134a I need to buy?

There is a A/C sticker under the hood, why would you not just look yourself,  its near 0.600kg ish… 

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH SEALER, its not 100% refrigerant DO NOT BUY IT.  typically its very easy to tell, small can more money

however if you dont have a A/C machine I would not mess with it, these newer smaller systems are sensitive to over/under refrigerant amounts.  

Edited by camcamaro1991

Job complete!  At 55 years old,  this just wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. The truck is so high, at 5'9" I was still using a step stool and being bent over most of the time had my back killing me that evening. I bought the condenser, oil, freon and O-rings from NAPA. The condenser was definitely a better product. All welded in the spot where my old one leaked. I had a cheap vacuum pump from Harbor Freight that ran off of my air compressor. I probably spent 30 minutes to get it to 27 inches of vacuum. held it for 30 minutes then added the freon. It took a little over 2 cans.  It was 86 degrees outside  and the A/C blowing 54 degree air. Took me a total of 3-1/2 hours. $240.00 total spent.

Edited by Cheverado
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 11:50 AM, camcamaro1991 said:

There is a A/C sticker under the hood, why would you not just look yourself,  its near 0.600kg ish… 

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH SEALER, its not 100% refrigerant DO NOT BUY IT.  typically its very easy to tell, small can more money

however if you dont have a A/C machine I would not mess with it, these newer smaller systems are sensitive to over/under refrigerant amounts.  

yes, I got the real stuff for sure thanks.

• 2 months later...

2016 1500 Denali, 41000 miles. When I turned on the AC on a warm day this spring, nothing but hot air. Dealership says the solder joint at the condenser failed, need a new condenser.

The quote from the dealership: $1527.  As a Costco member, it can go down to $1392... 

I called GMC customer service to complain and ask for payment assistance after seeing the hundreds of complaints here for the same issue. The set up a case file and are going to have a senior advisor contact the dealer and see if I can get payment help of relief. If not, I guess I'll buy a part and have an independent shop install it for me, cause that price is just to extravagant for a newer, low mileage truck.

I'll let you know what happens.

Fortunately, I get to reply very quickly.

I contacted GMC, informed them of the issue and requested assistance, they set up a case file and told me they would contact the dealership within 4 days.

I called the dealership, told them I was coming in to get my truck and that I had contacted GM.

The very next morning, the dealership called and had spoken to GM who had agreed, even though I am 437 days out of my bumper to bumper warranty, to pay all but $240 for the repair.
Thank you everyone on here for the advice, it worked out well for me. I will also add that even though I bought my truck elsewhere, I always get good service from the dealer I use.