AC Condenser replacement

benjdow

Can you confirm that part fits 5.3L with trans cooler?

Yep. 5.3 and 6.2 use identical condenser / trans cooler. The V6s use part # 4282 which itself is identical to the V8 part, except it is missing the trans cooler portion.

I just called about my case with chevy, the lady said that the part was on national backorder. I went into a whole lecture with the lady about why the demand was so high and that the original product was inferior on a $40,000 vehicle. I asked if her husband pulled up to take her out on a date in a truck with no ac would she be excited. She said one of her clients was still waiting for the part from march. I informed her that if I was still waiting from march, I would drive my truck back to the dealer, throw them my keys and demand my money back. I said if I am stuck with the $1400 repair this will be the last chevy I ever purchase.

Perhaps the question to ask the service advisor is how is GM going to fix this issue? Really it's not the service advicors fault and going off on them doesn't do much. Frankly I think GM should offer a goodwill repair for everyone up to 8 yr/100K miles. It's insulting to then charge those parts and labor after having to wait months for a part to be redesigned and produced.

I just called about my case with chevy, the lady said that the part was on national backorder. I went into a whole lecture with the lady about why the demand was so high and that the original product was inferior on a $40,000 vehicle. I asked if her husband pulled up to take her out on a date in a truck with no ac would she be excited. She said one of her clients was still waiting for the part from march. I informed her that if I was still waiting from march, I would drive my truck back to the dealer, throw them my keys and demand my money back. I said if I am stuck with the $1400 repair this will be the last chevy I ever purchase. [/size]

Perhaps the question to ask the service advisor is how is GM going to fix this issue? Really it's not the service advicors fault and going off on them doesn't do much. Frankly I think GM should offer a goodwill repair for everyone up to 8 yr/100K miles. It's insulting to then charge those parts and labor after having to wait months for a part to be redesigned and produced.

I told the lady that im not blaming her. She said t hat she would be upset too.

My 2016 silverado's ac just went out. Only 8,800 miles on it, had it for less than a year. Will be getting it fixed than trading the truck in. Already had the torque converter replaced last month.

My 2016 silverado's ac just went out. Only 8,800 miles on it, had it for less than a year. Will be getting it fixed than trading the truck in. Already had the torque converter replaced last month.

I'd trade it in now, you're going to be waiting a long time for the new condenser.

I'd trade it in now, you're going to be waiting a long time for the new condenser.

Yeah, I found a Ford dealership that also owns a Chevy dealership so they will buy it with it broken.

• Like 1

Guys how long does it take to leak out if you fully recharge the system? If it is weeks why would you not just recharge it a couple of times and drive happy knowing that GM is redesigning the part and will have a part that will last the life of the vehicle soon? Now if it is a BIG leak and only lasts hours or a couple of days that would be a different situation. Just curious what size leak we are dealing with here????

I could fill mine up on Sunday and it would be ready for a recharge again on Wednesday night. I have good air now but who knows how long the aftermarket condenser will last?

Guys how long does it take to leak out if you fully recharge the system? If it is weeks why would you not just recharge it a couple of times and drive happy knowing that GM is redesigning the part and will have a part that will last the life of the vehicle soon? Now if it is a BIG leak and only lasts hours or a couple of days that would be a different situation. Just curious what size leak we are dealing with here????

It took about a week after they recharged it to fail again

depends how big the leak is. most of the time it's only a few days. There's also been problems with the lines coming out of the compressor. those are on backorder too.

depends how big the leak is. most of the time it's only a few days. There's also been problems with the lines coming out of the compressor. those are on backorder too.

This Wed my truck (2015 with 44k miles) starts blowing warm air. I've got an appt with the local dealership Thurs morning for an oil change (coupon is less than what I can buy oil and filter for) and an error message so timing is somewhat good. They tell me my condenser went out and and the bad new is it's nationally back-ordered and the good news is they have one. Cost is $1400 and they can get it done. A good buddy of mine has an Auto A/C shop and does all my work but it's frickin hot and humid in SW Florida so I just had the dealership do it. I'm too busy to run around and need the truck this weekend to pull the boat. Picked it up this morning and it's nice and cold again. If it happens again I'll look at an aftermarket one if time permits.

Still have my old 2005 Tahoe with 225k miles and the original condenser.