Why did you modify your truck?

Because stock sucks. Pretty much that simple for me. Each vehicle/toy I've ever had from cars/trucks/dirt bikes/jet skis, etc has been modified in some way, shape, or fashion. It's my hobby, it's fun, and it makes them unique, and in some ways better than stock, to suit what I want to do with it. I've always built my own stuff up until this last truck I have now, I bought it already done. I'm at a point in life where I can afford to buy it, and could have it already done and ready to enjoy, so why not? But absolutely nothing taken away from the guys that build their own stuff - I have a lot of respect for the garage guys that work on their own. Been there, done that, just don't have time for it anymore.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think modding comes down to the basic idea that everyone wants to be different, if even just a little bit. It's in our DNA.

I'd agree that personalizing to be different is the main reason most modify their trucks and it seems most here appreciate others doing the same whether it is their style or not.

I used a good excuse for doing some basic mods (Gas mileage) the crazy thing is it worked! Just did the GM Borla exhaust/Hypertech tune/ CAI and my wife bought in after seeing the results. Now I am pretty sure my whipple supercharger will be a BIG gas saver too...... back me up guys, this whipple will save gas right???

post-127028-0-28094300-1476485477_thumb.jpg

Haha, interesting topic. While I totally understand that desire to customize and upgrade everything, I identify with those two guys more.

I'm not one to spend money on shiny trim and fancy electronics. I wanted a 4wd truck that I could fit my family in and still get work done. That's it. I didn't want to pay for a Z71 package, but it was a whole $250 more than the base LT I was looking at and came with a few options that I felt was worth the $250 extra.

I do laugh to myself at some people who throw money in the pit with their leases and lifts and ridiculous mods, but they are having fun and to each his own. I wish money were no object, I guess I'd be having more fun in life, but I'm happy with what I've got.

I guess some others would think paying 5,000 for a red piece of sheet metal that moves snow would be ridiculous. So its all relative.

I'm with you here. I added the bakflip cover to keep my stuff dry - and it ended up looking good too. I added snow blade because I live in Michigan and well, it was time. I leveled it because it needed it - and it looks better leveled too. Needed new tires anyway so I finally got rid of those slippery SRAs and went with Duratracs because they'll help when I'm plowing - and they look good too. I paid it off a few months ago and will see if I can get 15 - 20 years out of this one like I did with my S-10, wish they still made those!

I'm more about functionality these days. But when I was younger it would have been a whole 'nother story. Right now, the only thing I want to get is some air bags for the rear for those rare occasions when I want to load +1500 lbs in the box - I might decide to get those next summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious what your wives think about you modifying a brand new truck? Mine thought I was crazy at first but now sees my vision and actually likes the subtle mods I've made.

Just curious what your wives think about you modifying a brand new truck? Mine thought I was crazy at first but now sees my vision and actually likes the subtle mods I've made.

my wife likes what i've done, but she knew i had a 'list' when i got the truck

her only complaint would be it's tough to get in and out of becuz of the lift. i'm going to be adding amp power steps in the spring so then she'll be happy (need to let the bank account recover a bit before doing the steps)

I when i met my wife we were both racing cars. She knows what it's about. :)

I used a good excuse for doing some basic mods (Gas mileage) the crazy thing is it worked! Just did the GM Borla exhaust/Hypertech tune/ CAI and my wife bought in after seeing the results. Now I am pretty sure my whipple supercharger will be a BIG gas saver too...... back me up guys, this whipple will save gas right???

Iam just considering getting a Hypertech . Which one did u get ? Max energy 2.0? My gas milage is crap trying to get one to calibrate tires and tune a bit.

Archived