Why did you modify your truck?

This is my first new Silverado and like just about every vehicle I have ever owned I have made modifications. Nothing too drastic on this one yet (lowered rear, emblem removal/paint match, wheel house liners, 22" wheels tires etc) however next up are a competition level audio system, suspension upgrades and a Whipple Supercharger when the mad money fund replenishes.

Recently I posted my upgrade progress in the off topic section of a woodworking forum I have frequented for years and got some very interesting comments. After mentioning my goal was to have a "sports car" with a bed and I planned tire/suspension upgrades as well as a supercharger someone asked why didn't I just just buy a sports (He mentioned Hellcat and a couple of high 6 figure exotics as examples). He also went on about mods not adding any value upon selling etc.

Another guy asked very respectfully why anyone would lower a truck since where he is from there is snow as well as rough roads so 4wd high ground clearance trucks are necessary. I explained that I live on the coast where we have some nice winding roads and no snow so for me it was about handling as well as looks.

Then there were some interesting comments from a member who felt trucks were supposed to be utilitarian vehicles yet people like me who are willing to pay "exorbitant" prices for "luxury" trucks were the reason he could not afford even a basic new work truck!?

My wife happens to work for Chevrolet and for father's day she got me the exact truck I wanted in the color I wanted as well as equipped how I wanted (2016 deep ocean blue Regular Cab LS 5.3L) since I already had specific mods in mind and not meaning to gloat at a price far less than what most pay however I never considered that what others were "willing to pay" most likely influences the cost of certain vehicles rather than what you actually "get for your money" as he mentioned.

Personally I like/have had all kinds of trucks from El Camino's (yes I consider that a truck!) to 4wd's and have modified each one to my tastes. My favorites are lowered regular cabs however I like seeing how others put their "personal touches" on theirs whether it be high or low. I Also believe you get the best of many worlds with a truck since you can hot rod it if desired, you can get off the beaten path if desired when set up that way, you can tow a trailer when needed and you can haul large stuff. To top it off you can still use it as daily transportation, as a "grocery getter", for hauling the kids around or traveling with the family when you get a larger cab!

Ooops! Hit reply and accidentally erased a bunch so more coming in a moment!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All that said, why did you choose your specific truck and make the specific mods you did? Also, do you feel like you "got what you paid for" or that maybe you paid a bit more because others are willing to pay for what they want/need?

Because it doesn't come from the factory like I wanted. So got the truck home and made a list... FYI... this list will never end. It's always something new or something that somebody did that. And if I like it I will do it.

Another guy asked very respectfully why anyone would lower a truck since where he is from there is snow as well as rough roads so 4wd high ground clearance trucks are necessary.

Then there were some interesting comments from a member who felt trucks were supposed to be utilitarian vehicles yet people like me who are willing to pay "exorbitant" prices for "luxury" trucks were the reason he could not afford even a basic new work truck!?

Haha, interesting topic. While I totally understand that desire to customize and upgrade everything, I identify with those two guys more.

I'm not one to spend money on shiny trim and fancy electronics. I wanted a 4wd truck that I could fit my family in and still get work done. That's it. I didn't want to pay for a Z71 package, but it was a whole $250 more than the base LT I was looking at and came with a few options that I felt was worth the $250 extra.

I do laugh to myself at some people who throw money in the pit with their leases and lifts and ridiculous mods, but they are having fun and to each his own. I wish money were no object, I guess I'd be having more fun in life, but I'm happy with what I've got.

I guess some others would think paying 5,000 for a red piece of sheet metal that moves snow would be ridiculous. So its all relative.

All that said, why did you choose your specific truck and make the specific mods you did? Also, do you feel like you "got what you paid for" or that maybe you paid a bit more because others are willing to pay for what they want/need?

i got my truck (2014 crew cab ltz) becuz my wife and i now have 2 kids and my '89 chevy standard cab step side couldn't seat myself and 2 kids. i heavily mod-ed my '89. i bought it in 1997 and was 'done' mod-ing it in 2014.

i have to keep telling myself that it took me 17 years to build my last truck so i don't need to do everything all at once on this one

like bndawgs said - i want my truck to be "my truck" and not "just another truck" on road (that is one thing i LOVE about my '89... there are no other trucks like it in my area and it really stands out... for the right reasons)

so far i'm really happy with my '14 and feel the price i paid was fair (i got it this past summer, it had 1 previous owner who drove it for 2 years and did a "buy back" program thru the dealership to get into a 2016)

i'm not quite sure when i'll be done with the modifications - there are still a few things on the list that will likely be done in the spring. the kicker with a newer truck is that companies are always coming out with 'new stuff' you can do to your truck. that isn't really an issue with my '89! ha! ha!

I've modified every vehicle I've ever owned and made them MINE I never worried what others have a crap about. After all it's mine and I paid for it. I love seeing what all you guys do to your trucks, that's why I'm here.

you should ask those woodworking guys why they feel the need to throw a $350 fence on their table saw, when the fence that came with the saw should be adequate enough for their needs. ;)

It's a man thing! I have no other way to explain it really. I just know it never ends. I've been "modding" my 2011 Camaro for 5 years now and I've got plenty left on the list. If I stop and think about the money it's pretty sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you should ask those woodworking guys why they feel the need to throw a $350 fence on their table saw, when the fence that came with the saw should be adequate enough for their needs. ;)

Tool guys judging car/truck guys, lol. You would think the one would understand the other and vice versa.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived