Spark Plug Change Interval on 5.3L

Has anyone changed out the plugs on their '14+ 5.3L yet? I have 60k on mine. I know the books states 100k, but from other truck forms, with the previous platform 5.3L the 75K seemed to be the more appropriate interval. Wondering what the new 5.3L is doing to plugs.

^Probably right. I pulled some NGK's out of a Lexus V6 that had 120k and they looked almost new and the gap was near spec. Just wondering if our 5.3 plugs will actually make the 100k or if numerous members have found them beyond shot well before 100k. That's all. I might pull one next Saturday.

I'm at 31k, I plan to change plugs/wires with my next oil change. They are probably not due yet, but I can post pics of them if you want to see them.

I'm changing them since I want to put new wires on with the headers. OEM wires are close, and I want to putt some boots on them for protection.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had an older 5.3 an 04, I traded at 180K same plugs. A shop owner friend told me wait for the check engine light when I ask at 100K. Mine was mostly HWY miles. The only thing I ever change on that 04 Z71 was the water pump right after I change the antifreeze at the recommended 150K. Even original brakes, love that truck.

• Like 1

Has anyone changed out the plugs on their '14+ 5.3L yet? I have 60k on mine. I know the books states 100k, but from other truck forms, with the previous platform 5.3L the 75K seemed to be the more appropriate interval. Wondering what the new 5.3L is doing to plugs.

Don't waste your money. Older 5.3's can easily go 150-200k miles on plugs. Not sure who all these clowns are that are throwing them away after only 75k. It's the same as these people that throw good oil away after its only been used for 3-4k miles....... a waste.

Wait til 100k, then maybe look at one or two. They'll probably still be fine til long past then.

Edited by 3beejay3
  • Like 3

I don't mind spending $30 every 2yrs to change plugs at 40k miles. I've spent $30 more stupidly before, and at least I'm getting something out of it (new plugs and peace of mind).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I changed my original plugs on my 2001 5.3L when it had 306,000 miles on them. Showed some wear, made ZERO difference in fuel mileage, ease of starting, smoothness of idle, or performance in any way shape or form.

• Like 3

^That would be awesome if you posted pics. I will probably pull one in about two weeks and will post what it looks like at 60k.

Old plugs looked fine for 31k. Color on them is good!

Still installed new plugs though, as I was doing wires and boots.

8786446644159dbf442364ae0da043de.jpg

f44d43fab4540e2a6837cf273bcf1b35.jpg

cb30f339d7a0e2e674b5a73a9e7eeb07.jpg

aa6e4b8d9072f9e34c133e7580822010.jpg

f0a6e0dcf7683e53561907adef529dc3.jpg

Edited by Rawyzf
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Once again I’m seeing comments from the pre direct injection era owners. I currently own a 2016 is one that has been affected by more than usually condensation and oil being dumped back into a dry intake, unlike the previous motors being port injected. My input is if it’s running roughy change them. Buy an RXP CATCH CAN WITH A CLEAN SIDE SEPERATOR and clean the intake. I went for the injector bulliten but in 2016 I added my catch can because the rough idle fell on deaf ears. 

On 1/3/2017 at 5:00 AM, GRN69CHV said:

I would think a DI engine might have better plug life due to better control of predetenation.

I wouldn't trust that bring the case.  I only have 5900 miles on my truck, but a ton on my DI car.  Stock it is good for about 50-60k before misfire events.  With the boost cranked on the stock turbos, even with a range colder and tightened gap/latest greatest coils, 25k is the max on them.

I'd feel pretty confident with going 100K on factory plugs, I've seen people go much longer. And I wouldn't worry about this aspect of a direct injection engine affecting spark plugs...intake valves would be another story. I could be wrong, but I have owned a direct injection engine before and spark plugs weren't an issue.