Sugar Bears 2015 GMC Terrain SLE-2 2.4 AWD

Grumpy Bear

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

If the wiring is present, where would I find it? Under hood, near the gas tank...?  If it is/was an option, I would like to use al the GM parts. Even if I have to run a new fuel line. 

It would be somewhere just ahead of the fuel tank near the fuel line, driver's side.  Typically a dark tan/brown colored connector end.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:18 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Ethanol LTFT/STFT

3/22/2023

Flurry of post for a flurry of activity. 

Found the addresses for both fuel trims and the excess O2 reading. 

After multiple tanks at 20% the LTFT settled in at +3% with a 2% swing and STFT a few percent either side of zero. O2 stayed in range. Needing 8 gallons of fuel I dosed it with the 25/75 blend (25.5%) diluted with what was there it comes in at 22.4% for the tank. 

So with just a 2.4% change the trims headed 10-12% into negative territory. It will only go 25%. It's going to favor small moves changing up blends. In about 10 miles it was +7% LTFT and by home, 30 miles total around 5%. I'm sure it's not done adjusting yet but point is...it is and in the right direction on O2 alone. 

On another note, testing the new smaller orifice shows all it good under the hood. 

Late Note: 500-mile oil filter change. 

As I have told you over and over the best you will see with flex fuel programming with this engine is lack of a MIL code for >50% ethanol density detected. Unless you can reset all this for free save your $$ and drive with a MIL code set.  The efficiency of the engine to burn higher ethanol content will not change enough to cost benefit you. 

2 hours ago, customboss said:

As I have told you over and over the best you will see with flex fuel programming with this engine is lack of a MIL code for >50% ethanol density detected. Unless you can reset all this for free save your $$ and drive with a MIL code set.  The efficiency of the engine to burn higher ethanol content will not change enough to cost benefit you. 

This lightbulb got lit when I saw an Aussie tuner explaining that GM doesn't tune to AFR but to an Fuel INDEX. the O2 sensor doesn't read AFR. It reads excess O2. Excess O2 depends on stoichiometry not on AFR. AFR is right if excess O2 is right. :idiot:I can be slow sometimes. I'm now at 25% ethanol and my O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 is still showing normal pattern. and neutral bias. LTFT is still at 3 after STFT gets done with it. :crackup:

• Like 1

201,026 Miles

23.7% Ethanol and all traces of KR are now gone. I climbed the Illinois river bluff today at 53 mph. Slowest speed it will hold 6th gear and turned on the air. 16 mph crosswind about 5 degrees against her. 200,888 miles did an oil level check while taking down a Mc Double in El Paso Illinois. Still full so 3 ounces at 450 miles into this OCI then nothing for the next 443 miles. 20-minute drain down. 27.3 mpg for this days trip result not average. Took on 12 gallons of hand blend and now at 24.8% Ethanol. 30 miles later back down to 3% LTFT. I'm going to sit out here for a while. 

Wife wont blend and I need to stay Sugar Bear friendly. If she needs to she knows to top off with UNL-88 or 87 if needed. Just keep the tickets and I'll do the rest. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

Marty, you can view alcohol content on your "smart" phone with an ODBII adapter.

I use this one with the Torque Pro app on an android phone.  My kids use the Bluetooth version with their apple phones and whatever $5 app in the apple store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077F8F6TB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61f8uMaYqlL._AC_SL1264_.jpg

We've used them in other cars too, Kia, Pontiac, K2s, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 7:45 AM, swathdiver said:

Marty, you can view alcohol content on your "smart" phone with an ODBII adapter.

I use this one with the Torque Pro app on an android phone.  My kids use the Bluetooth version with their apple phones and whatever $5 app in the apple store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077F8F6TB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She doesn't have an alky sensor. :( My scan tool can read it if it is there. Scan Gauge II. 

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

She doesn't have an alky sensor. :( My scan tool can read it if it is there. Scan Gauge II. 

If it is FlexFuel it might have the virtual calculation setup like the 900s.

4 hours ago, swathdiver said:

If it is FlexFuel it might have the virtual calculation setup like the 900s.

It's the LEA motor but the wrong emissions code for Flex Fuel. I'm looking it all of it. 

• Like 1

High Performance Lubricants 40-EC

Crossed 1,600 miles today and have added 16 ounces of makeup. A quart in 3,200. Small timing cover leak is no worse. 

It isn't turning black. It's turning amber. Color of warm varnished Red Oak.

The smaller CCV orifice has had no effect on consumption. Zip, nada, zilch! So, no, not over drawing. 

On fuel the numbers are getting a little worse. On miles a little better. Thing is the mpg is rising faster than the oil used as a percent of fuel is rising. Nothing huge and I wouldn't even be able to tell without allot of data from very accurate measurements and records. But all three methods are trending in the same direction. Even if snail slow and have reversed the steady and rapid decline it was on. 

I've hit target E-25 levels for a couple of tanks. The black smoke is gone from a 6-4 stepdown on the mat kick in the pants. Steady +7 LTFT in long highway speed cruise. If you didn't know it was hurt, you wouldn't guess it was. Is running very sweet and smooth. 

image.thumb.png.23f1637369e6fa19704d2ceea3ada3e8.png

Edited by Grumpy Bear

202,000 Mile Services

3/30/2023

2,000 miles this OCI

25 ounces of makeup or a quart in @ 2,500. 0.262% of fuel. 

1,875 miles / 69.680 gallons for 26.91 mpg

Mobil High Mileage Full Synthetic 10W40 and High-Performance Lubrication SAE 40-EC mixed 5:1.

Purolator L15436 Filter

Yes, no sooner I hit send on the last post and during the 350-mile round trip to dad's today...GULP. This could be a few things. Could be this bus is getting ready to puke. Could be it didn't like Semi Syn which may be mostly Conventional. That's the bad news.

The good news is I finally have the dip stick and the measured outage in agreement. That is, the dip stick at 20 minutes rest agrees with the outage.

I chose the Mobil High Mileage 10W40 instead of my first choice, a 15W40 SN/C4 like T-6 because I could not find quarts of the T-6 and jugs are only a gallon. I needed five for the blend which leaves me with a fill and one full quart of makeup oil at the same blend. This is also a $6 a quart Full Synthetic which is half the price of my usual boutique oils. Can't get a long enough run to justify that expense. 

The filter this time was truly mint. Amber but not crazy loaded nor collapsed as it has been the last few times. I'll make the entire next run on the same filter. 

So, while visiting Pops I pick his near a century of experience brain and ask if he's ever seen such a piece of trash. He said it acts like a 239 Flathead Ford. That motor, on conventional oil of his day, wouldn't use a drop for between 1,000 and 1,200 miles then it would use all the way to the next change (2K if he was lucky) getting worse with the added miles.

His advice? "They would go for hundreds of thousands of miles acting like that. RELAX and just drive it. Add oil when it needs it." 

Anyway, a more viscous oil in a Full Synthetic is a straw grab. Let's learn something. 

Hey, ya know what an Ecotec 2.4 I-4 is on 10W40?  Wonderfully... 

SILENT 

• Like 1

202,800 Miles

4/5/2023

752 miles on this OCI. Still full and checking about every 250 miles. Charting as I go. Oil is again turning amber but not as dark and not as fast as the last change. All I can do is observe and collect the data. 

Weather has been absolutely horrid. Tornadoes all around us. Crazy winds, cold, warm, hail and rain galore. So far, the only thing that has been touched by all of this is fuel economy. Can't pick the 10W40 contribution out of the 0.61 mpg drop over the last 800 miles but it can't be much of a drag. It's only a loss of 2.3%. Most of that must be weather related.

Tuesday, we took a drive around us to have a look. Others have not fared as well. Belvedere was in the news for it's tornado. Amboy and West Brookland took hits as well. Funny how it can level a house between two and not lift a single shingle on those around it. :nonod: Two-inch hail makes a dent hurled at 60 mph. 

• Like 2

203,059 Miles

4/7/2023

1,059 miles on this OCI and added first 2 ounce add today but that isn't why I'm posting. 😱

I've noticed last few times I've had the filler cap off dozens of black specs on top of the orifice plate. :dunno: Under that plate is a baffle. One that has been jet black for as long as I can remember. I always thought it had some sort of factory coating. Apparently not. Granted it is hard to see so not something I look at allot. Today I drug out the step stool and an LED lamp for a look. Seems this isn't a 'factory coating" but years of oxidation. Debris that is about 80% clean now and shinning like a new nickel. In addition, when I make new orifice plates, they normally start showing color, varnish staining, with in a thousand miles or so. This one is on its second OCI and looks cleaner than when I installed it. Made from a steel bean can top that's pretty clean to start with. :crazy:

Am I not remembering this correctly? I have a second Ecotec 2.4 with under 15K on the clock. That's a must look. Yea, they don't coat them. 😏

This is the effect we were looking for from the CUMMINS RESTORE and I assume we would have IF we had the HPFP fixed before we charged it and diluted it out of service. Great product that is now very VERY hard to find and very VERY expensive. A single charge and one quart of make-up was about $100. 

I bought 5 quarts of Mobil High Milage and a quart of HPL 40-EC for about $45 so a bit less than half and it seems to be working now that gasoline isn't pouring into the sump. :crackup:

This isn't as cheap as Kirkland Signature, but they don't have a 5 or 10W40. Still looking for a slower usage rate. 😉 

Oil is still very transparent on the stick and a more normal carbon colored gray with an amber tint. Routine so far. Bottom normally drops out past 1K. Be a few weeks before I can say anything one way or the other on usage. 

• Like 1

204,000 Mile Service

4/13/2023

204,000 actual miles

2,000 OCI on about 26 ounces of makeup oil. Say a quart in 2,500. 

Filter looks good. Amber and not caked nor crushed.

Losing ground? :dunno: Still less than GM would step in for if under warranty. 

4 Quarts Mobil High Milage 10W40

1 Quart High Performance Lubricants EC-40

1 Purolator L15436 filter (Red) 

4:1 Ratio. 

2,156 miles on 81.058 gallons of E-25 = 26.6 mpg. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1