Mine went out, just noticed yesterday, I haven’t used the ac in a while so I don’t know when it actually quit. Had to have been in the last 2-3 weeks. 2015 Sierra 64xxx miles. I just literally moved last week, so my dealer I’ve used for many years is now not so local. Im going to explore my options.

Hooksets are free...

2014 Sierra 1500 w/ 69,300 miles. AC condenser failed last week. Leak located upper driver’s side. $1,000.00 for the dealership to replace it. Includes a 2 year parts and labor warranty on the new condenser.

IMG_5805.thumb.PNG.c8a49621db140c225d814de568ea9bb2.PNG

I’m so tempted to slap some JB Weld on there to reinforce the existing weld. A form of preventative maintenance...thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, dave07 said:

I’m so tempted to slap some JB Weld on there to reinforce the existing weld. A form of preventative maintenance...thoughts?

Go to an independent shop. the condenser is roughly $160 and should take 4-5 hours to install, at $100/shop hour you're looking at $700 on the high side. I would expect closer to $500-600.

Mine was replaced with part number 84496856. It’s has a piece of reflective material in the top driver’s side corner. It looked like a piece of packaging material left over from shipping so I asked what it was.

The service writer talked to the tech who said it was a shield to prevent road debris from damaging that corner of the condenser. Service writer said it’s the same unit that comes standard with the 2018s.

I’m not exactly thrilled about a shiny piece of aluminum foil stuck behind the grill of my all black truck. Looks like a piece of trash got stuck to the condenser. On the positive side, my AC is ice cold.

088A2D6A-B0BB-4A02-8C15-3CBF0EB0E0CE.thumb.jpeg.3beaa51a30ddc9844419c7a342ed53f1.jpeg

Edited by 300 Blackout

Looking like the extended warranty I bought against my better judgement is actually going to come in handy for once. If it’s the condenser that failed, it should all be covered is what I was told over the phone. Just gotta go get her diagnosed now.

Hooksets are free...

On 6/18/2018 at 8:42 PM, 300 Blackout said:

Mine was replaced with part number 84496856. It’s has a piece of reflective material in the top driver’s side corner. It looked like a piece of packaging material left over from shipping so I asked what it was.

The service writer talked to the tech who said it was a shield to prevent road debris from damaging that corner of the condenser. Service writer said it’s the same unit that comes standard with the 2018s.

I’m not exactly thrilled about a shiny piece of aluminum foil stuck behind the grill of my all black truck. Looks like a piece of trash got stuck to the condenser. On the positive side, my AC is ice cold.

Add me to the list as well !!   2015 Denali with 40k miles.. so no not covered.  Dealership was nice enough to cover half but my end was still $600.  I contacted GMC directly and was offered a $100 voucher ....which I accepted but wanted more.  They did the same thing to mine...The metal tape-  I need to ask the same question.   Did they actually replace my condenser?  or just patch it.  And if they did the same thing to mine....does GMC know there is a problem and are advising that this "metal tape" procedure be followed???   In FLA and yes its boiling!!!  

088A2D6A-B0BB-4A02-8C15-3CBF0EB0E0CE.thumb.jpeg.3beaa51a30ddc9844419c7a342ed53f1.jpeg

I seriously doubt that the dealership “just patched” your condenser and then sold it back to you as an oem replacement unit.  The legal risk for doing such a bone-headed act is so far off the charts it can’t be given serious consideration.  About the silver tape;  maybe hit it with a can of black spray paint? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

worked with automotive a/c for over 30 years if the leak is where the cooling fins are attached it is not repairable and no jb weld will not fix this . when it is hot out there can be up to 275 psi in the condensor depending on how the high pressure switch is working

• Like 1

I seriously doubt that the dealership “just patched” your condenser and then sold it back to you as an oem replacement unit.  The legal risk for doing such a bone-headed act is so far off the charts it can’t be given serious consideration.  About the silver tape;  maybe hit it with a can of black spray paint? 

I don’t think they did. The way that my post was quoted makes it appear that another member’s comment was part of my original post.

It’s very clear to me that my condenser was replaced with a completely new unit. The only criticism that have is that they new unit also includes the aluminum foil shield which I find cosmetically unappealing. Overall, I’m very happy with the performance of the new condenser.

8 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

I don’t think they did. The way that my post was quoted makes it appear that another member’s comment was part of my original post.

It’s very clear to me that my condenser was replaced with a completely new unit. The only criticism that have is that they new unit also includes the aluminum foil shield which I find cosmetically unappealing. Overall, I’m very happy with the performance of the new condenser.

weird how that quote showed.. wasn't my intention.  Sorry.  thanks for clearing it up 

New to this forum, but I've got a 2014 sierra 5.3 w/110k on it, today I just replaced the condenser for the FOURTH time.

I used GM#84496856, it does have that reflective tape, but there's also an additional "bracket" welded around the connector that always leaks.  tried to get photos, I'll see if I can load them.

IMG_20180701_141305611.jpg

Edited by 89LincolnLSC

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 8:42 PM, 300 Blackout said:

This is the unit they used on my 2015 Silverado with about 40,000 miles Monday (I paid a $200 deductible- GM covered the rest). I looked at a 2018 Yukon XL owned by a friend and did not see the additional bracket below the reflective material, though there is a weld in that location. It seems they chased a solution for some time. I searched and found several part numbers that have bee superseded and there are different part numbers for Yukon/Tahoe versus the trucks. I wonder if perhaps there are mounting differences because of slightly different sheet metal?

On 6/18/2018 at 5:42 PM, 300 Blackout said:

I just bought a 2018 Silverado Crewcab  Mid-May... it was a dealer trade for the model I was looking for and when the driver was in route for delivery, they noticed the AC wasn't working. They put me in a loaner and replaced a noted bad condenser with the same style above, truck had just under 20 miles. 

Last week I jump in the truck to fuel it up for a long 4th of July trip and no AC. Truck has been at the dealer since waiting on a new condenser. Truck has around 1800 miles now. Not good...