On 7/27/2018 at 1:08 PM, Pacfanweb said:

Happened to my 2015 Sierra today. 43k miles, less than 3 years old. 

My dealer told me he could probably get me some assistance, but I don't want to wait until next week.  Too damn hot and I need my truck.

Bought one from the parts store a few minutes ago.  Letting it cool off a bit now, going to throw it in there and take it to get evacuated and recharged later.   

Put the condenser in Friday evening.  Wasn't too bad.  Skimmed through a couple of videos and went to it.   Took me a couple of hours, maybe slightly more because it was DAMN hot in the driveway.  

Had it evacuated and charged today.   Cools like a champ.   Hope this aftermarket one lasts....it has a lifetime warranty, but I'm not interested in making use of it, lol. 

14 hours ago, Mileguru said:

Here's what we need to do. We need to get the EPA involved because of the freon that is being released every time one of these condensers fails. I bet there will be a nationwide recall pretty fast with the EPA breathing down their necks.

The current US administration has pretty much gutted the EPA to the point where they aren't going to be breathing down anyone neck any time soon. It's almost impossible to enforce nationwide recompense for something like this in such a corporate friendly and heavily lobbied culture. You will get lots of stories of individuals beating the system or finding "deals" to fix a part that should have worked int he first place, but don't hold your breath waiting for a regulatory imposed solution. It isn't going to happen. Every man for himself and all that.

Other countries may have some success with this angle. The current Canadian government seems to be big on environmental protections, so it may gain traction here. GMC (like everyone else) is also likely to suffer under this ridiculous trade war, so I'm not sure the Canadian government would want to rock the boat any more.  I'm not sure if GMC has a big presence over in the EU, but they are also environmentally friendly at the moment. The new Mexican government seems rather progressive, but likely isn't stable enough to be able to twist the arm of GM this way.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Unless you plan on trading in, I would squirrel $1000 away in your budget and expect to replace your AC.

10 hours ago, Pacfanweb said:

Put the condenser in Friday evening.  Wasn't too bad.  Skimmed through a couple of videos and went to it.   Took me a couple of hours, maybe slightly more because it was DAMN hot in the driveway.  

Had it evacuated and charged today.   Cools like a champ.   Hope this aftermarket one lasts....it has a lifetime warranty, but I'm not interested in making use of it, lol. 

When you say "aftermarket", do you mean a third party component? If so, do you happen to have the part number you used?

GMC seems to be wearing their pants on their head when in comes to fixing this. Apparently the new OEM condensers still haven't fixed the issue. Third party sounds pretty good right now.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:55 PM, Mileguru said:

Here's what we need to do. We need to get the EPA involved because of the freon that is being released every time one of these condensers fails. I bet there will be a nationwide recall pretty fast with the EPA breathing down their necks.

I am on board, just wait till the a huge protest of Pruis owners start protesting outside of GM headquaters. Calling it now everyone!!! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Baytrucker said:

When you say "aftermarket", do you mean a third party component? If so, do you happen to have the part number you used?

GMC seems to be wearing their pants on their head when in comes to fixing this. Apparently the new OEM condensers still haven't fixed the issue. Third party sounds pretty good right now.

Here is what was put in mine. It’s a Napa aftermarket, it looks a lot beefier in the problem area 

FEF3270D-AFF2-4F79-A5FA-1634C7A24DEC.jpeg

12 hours ago, Baytrucker said:

Got it from Autozone.   Don't know if it's beefed up.   Didn't much care.  I needed it and they had it.   It does have a lifetime warranty, although I hope not to use it. 

Was just over $140 with a coupon. 

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/a-c-condenser/spectra-premium-a-c-condenser/375475_0_0

Sad to say I am on this list as well.  I bought a 2014 silverado LT 4X4 5.3 double cab used with 83k on the clock.  A/C went out at 83,450 miles - local used car salesmen probably just recharged the system and figured by the time I figured out it was leaking I would be long gone.  Bought it this last fall and only used it once while test driving it since it was cold outside.  Been out since the first time I ran it during the spring.  Long story short; I have looked all around forums and found this to be a very troublesome issue for Chevy.  First time chevy owner btw.  

This weekend I pulled the trigger on new condensor, new compressor, new line (troubled line from compressor to condensor), new expansion valve and all new gaskets/rubber seals.  I pulled the old condensor first and installed the new one from autozone.  Then I moved on to pulling the old compressor and the corresponding line to condensor.  Stupid stretchy belt was a bitch to remove - had to cut belt and have no idea how to replace it since the stretch belt tool I have doesn't seem to fit on either pulley to roll around crankshaft pulley or compressor pulley.  I will deal with that this evening when I get new belt.  After compressor replacement I moved to the expansion valve replacement - probably the simplest part of A/C overall.  BTW; I did not see one rubber o-ring when removing all the OEM parts.  I did however replace all the silver/black rubber seals that I found at each line connection including inside the expansion valve female connection on the evaporation core side.  

Today I will rent/borrow the gauges and pump from autozone and pump down the system and check it for any air leaks.  Along with getting a replacement belt and some guidance on how to get stretch belt back on the compressor.  Hopefully there will be no leaks and then I can recharge and I finally will have a truck with A/C.  To be frank this truck has been the biggest piece of $h!t i have ever owned. I have a laundry list of crap that has failed on it since I owned it and I will never buy another chevy despite loving the way it looks.  Not bashing chevy, but I will stay away from this model in the future.  

If anyone can find something else I missed during the replacement please let me know.

Thanks, 

13 hours ago, boyzzsandtheirtoys33 said:

I am on board, just wait till the a huge protest of Pruis owners start protesting outside of GM headquaters. Calling it now everyone!!! 

Funny! Would probably be easier for us if we just told the Prius owners what's happening and let them do all of the work from the start. You being in Connecticut and me being in California, this should be pretty easy =)

So just some additional input here.  I recently had my radiator replaced under the TSB. It was out of warranty but they honored it.  Shortly after (3 weeks? Month?) my air wasn’t cold anymore.   I thought “Great, condensor or pipe”.  Nope.  If I have a leak the shop can’t find it.  Holds vacuum etc.  he dyed it and recharged it.  See what happens.  

1 hour ago, SteveCZ said:

So just some additional input here.  I recently had my radiator replaced under the TSB. It was out of warranty but they honored it.  Shortly after (3 weeks? Month?) my air wasn’t cold anymore.   I thought “Great, condensor or pipe”.  Nope.  If I have a leak the shop can’t find it.  Holds vacuum etc.  he dyed it and recharged it.  See what happens.  

The same thing happened to me on my first visit. They claimed they couldn't find the leak, put dye in and recharged.  A few weeks later, no AC.  After 5 visits, my AC is currently working but I'm 99.9% sure it's going to die again.  I will never, never, never, buy a GM vehicle again.  

16 hours ago, jonesumd said:

The same thing happened to me on my first visit. They claimed they couldn't find the leak, put dye in and recharged.  A few weeks later, no AC.  After 5 visits, my AC is currently working but I'm 99.9% sure it's going to die again.  I will never, never, never, buy a GM vehicle again.  

Yes, but this wasn't at a dealership, was a local shop, which I trust.  I'd rather him be honest with me than throw parts at it.  I'll play the wait and see game, as long as the air is still cold....

Well update: I replaced condenser, compressor, troubled compressor line(prone to leaking), expansion valve, flushed the system, put vacuum on the system to negative 30 lbs and let sit all night long and while at work the next day.  Got off work last night and checked pressure and still holding 30lbs negative pressure.  I then connect R-134 can to gauges and input can.........wait for it, low side increases and compressor clutch kicks on, high side is about the same pressure.  It appears that my new compressor is not pumping pressure?  This is not my first attempt at fixing a car AC.  My understanding is when the compressor clutch kicks on the lowside should drop in pressure on the gauges and the highside should increase in pressure.  I am so frustrated with this stupid truck I could puke!!!!  I believe I am going to take it to local shop and see if there isn't something electronically going on with this Big pile of poopoo!!!

Oh also, replaced all gaskets/seals....

Edited by markusarealuis
forgot to mention seals.

On 7/30/2018 at 8:22 AM, markusarealuis said:

Sad to say I am on this list as well.  I bought a 2014 silverado LT 4X4 5.3 double cab used with 83k on the clock.  A/C went out at 83,450 miles - local used car salesmen probably just recharged the system and figured by the time I figured out it was leaking I would be long gone.  Bought it this last fall and only used it once while test driving it since it was cold outside.  Been out since the first time I ran it during the spring.  Long story short; I have looked all around forums and found this to be a very troublesome issue for Chevy.  First time chevy owner btw.  

This weekend I pulled the trigger on new condensor, new compressor, new line (troubled line from compressor to condensor), new expansion valve and all new gaskets/rubber seals.  I pulled the old condensor first and installed the new one from autozone.  Then I moved on to pulling the old compressor and the corresponding line to condensor.  Stupid stretchy belt was a bitch to remove - had to cut belt and have no idea how to replace it since the stretch belt tool I have doesn't seem to fit on either pulley to roll around crankshaft pulley or compressor pulley.  I will deal with that this evening when I get new belt.  After compressor replacement I moved to the expansion valve replacement - probably the simplest part of A/C overall.  BTW; I did not see one rubber o-ring when removing all the OEM parts.  I did however replace all the silver/black rubber seals that I found at each line connection including inside the expansion valve female connection on the evaporation core side.  

Today I will rent/borrow the gauges and pump from autozone and pump down the system and check it for any air leaks.  Along with getting a replacement belt and some guidance on how to get stretch belt back on the compressor.  Hopefully there will be no leaks and then I can recharge and I finally will have a truck with A/C.  To be frank this truck has been the biggest piece of $h!t i have ever owned. I have a laundry list of crap that has failed on it since I owned it and I will never buy another chevy despite loving the way it looks.  Not bashing chevy, but I will stay away from this model in the future.  

If anyone can find something else I missed during the replacement please let me know.

Thanks, 

How much money have you dropped on this little project so far?  Btw, I find it interesting that you bought a truck that’s five model years old and has 83K miles as a “piece of shit”.  You do realize that you bought that truck “as is” don’t you?

2 hours ago, Snoringbear said:

How much money have you dropped on this little project so far?  Btw, I find it interesting that you bought a truck that’s five model years old and has 83K miles as a “piece of shit”.  You do realize that you bought that truck “as is” don’t you?

Yes snoringbear, it seems it is very much "as is" that is very helpful for you to point out.  Thank you.  I will be advised for future purchases.  I would not concern yourself with how much money I have dropped on my little project and if you do not have something constructive or helpful to add please do not reply to my messages.  

I would like to give everyone else and update on the status, but I think I am may be sounding like a cry baby so I will just keep it to myself. 

3 minutes ago, markusarealuis said:

Yes snoringbear, it seems it is very much "as is" that is very helpful for you to point out.  Thank you.  I will be advised for future purchases.  I would not concern yourself with how much money I have dropped on my little project and if you do not have something constructive or helpful to add please do not reply to my messages.  

I would like to give everyone else and update on the status, but I think I am may be sounding like a cry baby so I will just keep it to myself. 

Aww, don’t be so sensitive.  I’m guessing that you may be a young buckaroo.  When, I was young, in the army, just getting started, etc, I bought some cars off of used car lots too.  So, been there done that.  But, just fyi,  most car dealerships have a preowned certification program but they’re very selective about the cars they keep for this program, typically three years or less old and less than 40K miles.  The older and high mileage vehicles are sent to auction where they’re bought by guys running the used car lots.  You know, the guys who look and dress like Burt Reynolds back in the day, lots of bling, half open shirt, etc.  maybe exaggerating a bit, lol!  Anyway, hope you get your ac fixed soon.  Noticed you’re in Waco, hot as blazes there ?....