On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, dwall2259 said:

Just bought a 2016 2500hd and it leaking water into the floor was told the case holding the evaporator coil was busted. Is This the same issue or part of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This appears to be a different issue.  The evaporator is located inside the truck, the condenser is in front of the radiator in the engine compartment.  the case that holds the evaporator is made of plastic or fiberglass, so your problem is most likely a crack in that plastic or fiberglass housing. Normally the condensed water from the evaporator coils is drained through the truck floor onto ground. 

Add me to this list.  2017 GMC Sierra Denali with 52K.  Called customer service and they say they have never heard of such an issue.  Dealer Service Manager and Technician knew exactly what the problem was without skipping a beat.  I told them it must be a common issue and sure as heck all the information out there is just amazing.  And GM Customer Service knows nothing. 

Add me to the repeat costumer list on this AC issue. Almost 1 year to the day mine stopped blowing cold. Well, this morning it happened again......

At this point, Id welcome the shinny tin foil condenser to my grill if it works.

Got my truck back in 1 day from the dealership.... I had two issues in regards to the AC system. The condenser was leaking as were one of the lines I had replaced 11 months ago.

Service department installed the condenser with the foil, part number # 84496856,  and both lines running from compressor to the condenser.

This just happened to me this week. Exact same condenser leak on the weld as the other pictures in this thread. 2015 Silverado LTZ with 31000 miles and the warranty expired 31 days ago.

I was quoted $1400 by the dealer for the repair. My Vin is not covered in the supplemental coverage.

I'm working with GM customer care to try to get a Goodwill repair. This should be a recall for a manufacturing defect, and not a supplemental item on specific Vin numbers.

This is my 6th GM vehicle, and I was getting ready to lease a Volt for my daughter. If they don't come through, I won't be buying another GM.

Happened to my 2015 Sierra today. 43k miles, less than 3 years old. 

My dealer told me he could probably get me some assistance, but I don't want to wait until next week.  Too damn hot and I need my truck.

Bought one from the parts store a few minutes ago.  Letting it cool off a bit now, going to throw it in there and take it to get evacuated and recharged later.   

FYI - Here is a link with all of the part numbers:

https://forums.dealersedge.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11002

84496856 is the newest one.

See:

Yes this is as a result of a complicated connection chain of part numbers that is below. I am currently working with the catalog group to get this to show more clearly for the dealers. But in short, depending on availability of the part the dealer can receive any parts in this chain until there is no stock left available and then only PN 84496856 will be used. Sorry about all of this mess, we didn’t realize how this would affect the catalog but we are working on a clearer solution now.

condenser.jpg

Got mine replaced yesterday. 2015 Sierra 65xxx miles. The mechanic at dealership said he’s been replacing 2-3 a week on average on all full size suv and truck that gm makes 2014+. Funny thing is that they asked if I wanted them to recharge the system first for $140, I told them check the condenser first. I would have fell to that trap if it weren’t for the forums here!!! $140 to watch it leak right out lol. Extended warranty came through for the second time for me!

a29a895467f62e42a63a03a985619a5e.jpg

Hooksets are free...

On 5/2/2017 at 8:33 PM, thewhitestallion said:

Add me to the troubled condenser list... :M16:

About a month ago I was driving to work on a sticky Houston night, about ~75*f or so with probably 80% humidity when I noticed that my A/C was not blowing cold. So I double checked that my temps knobs were set right along with the blend door adjustment. Once I checked all that I knew the A/C was not working. So when I got to work I checked the compressor and saw that the clutch was engaged, so that was interesting.

Took it to a buddy that has a machine to recover any freon left in the system and the machine recovered very little, less than an ounce. I thought that was weird due to the clutch still being engaged with such low freon levels. So we filled it back up and put some dye in it and all was good.

This past Thursday I went to drive to work and my A/C was no longer working so after work when I got home, I was able to find the leak. And wouldn't you know it, it's the condenser (thank you GM). I was scheduled to go out of town on Friday morning and since I work night shift when I got off of work it was Friday morning.

So I start tearing it down to pull the condenser out only to get it out and find that no part store or dealer has the part as they are on national back order. So I am pretty pissed off at this point, put it all back together vacuum the system and charge it and the A/C worked great.

Although risky, I took it out of town 4 hours away, stayed out there for 2 days and drove it back home, about 500 miles of driving. A/c worked great the whole time and the next day it went out again, but this time I just added a little freon back in the system to hold me over.

A dealer near me just received 8 condensers today so I picked one up but it hurt, $400 for the condenser and two seals (rip off).

I have worked on some a/c systems before but I am by no means an ASE certified mechanic. My question is how should I go about adding oil to the system. When I took the condenser off the first time I lost some oil and when I went to replace it, I poured some oil in one end and then it started to come out of the other. I have seen some people use a syringe type tool to add oil in the system after it is charged but I have seen people just poor oil in the system before putting it back together.

I am a little unsure how to go about adding oil back into the system. GM says to add 2oz into the system after replacing the condenser but if more comes out then to go with that amount. So I will be adding at least 2 oz, just asking the best way to go about this.

Any help would be great, also I am trying to get a video of my leak uploaded, so once that happens I will upload it here.

Glad to know I am not the only one dealing with this issue. Thank you for posting!

37 minutes ago, boyzzsandtheirtoys33 said:

Took it to a buddy that has a machine to recover any freon left in the system and the machine recovered very little, less than an ounce.

Here's what we need to do. We need to get the EPA involved because of the freon that is being released every time one of these condensers fails. I bet there will be a nationwide recall pretty fast with the EPA breathing down their necks.