Free Onstar Basic plan expiring? what happens next

I think there are many like myself who love the Onstar Basic plan, aka the app for remote start, lock/unlock functions on my phone. I even have my wife's Terrain connected to the same app so I can switch between the vehicles.

But has anyone reached the point where the initial free term expired? If so what happens and can you extend this service?

I bought a 2015 and got 5 years free. I know it changed around alot, when do the 2014s expire? My wife's was purchased used and I think we only get 2 years with that one.

Main point is, I would be willing to pay a small fee if I had to to keep the app working as long as I own the truck, but I will not pay for any of their other "services". So anyone out there know what happens next?

The app will continue to work regardless if your service expires. I let mine expire and still use the app on a daily basis.

incorrect. You are talking about the free Onstar trial for 6 months or whatever. After that runs out, you continue with just the "Basic Plan" for several years. That is not even an option to purchase right now. Once that plan expires as it is written now, the app would cease to work.

I like the feature where i can send an address to the GPS, so much better than searching a location on the unit itself. The remote start is also great on these hot days where i can start it before leaving work :)

I pay for OnStar services for turn for turn on a monthly basis as far as the regular service goes it is included because I only got a couple of months free for the service then I found out about the turn for turn which in my business is excellent and put you right where you are needed

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Whats different about turn by turn vs regular indash gps? When i send an address to it from the app (basic free service) it tells me every turn i have to take till i get there.

My wife's used 2016 Buick has the remote start app, and we've since let the Onstar expire and the app still works.

Onstar has not yet expired on my new 2017 Silverado, but I have no plans to continue it past three months.

Even my dealer told me that they "don't know" what will happen at 5 years out, since they haven't run into that yet. He did have faith that GM would take care of their customers . . .

I envision a monthly change that I'll have to subscribe to because 5 years of app starting will to hard to turn off. :nopity:

Even my dealer told me that they "don't know" what will happen at 5 years out, since they haven't run into that yet. He did have faith that GM would take care of their customers . . .

That's great for him to say. Unfortunately GM is not Onstar. The app is operated by Onstar.

I'm sure they will have to offer something. They are going to start having all kinds of people complaining about losing it otherwise. I guess that won't start until about this time next year when the first 2014's hit the 5 year old mark.

Sering how OnStar is a subsidiery of GM, I'm sure something can be done in our favor.

That's great for him to say. Unfortunately GM is not Onstar. The app is operated by Onstar.

I'm sure they will have to offer something. They are going to start having all kinds of people complaining about losing it otherwise. I guess that won't start until about this time next year when the first 2014's hit the 5 year old mark.

Sorry, I forgot to turn on my sarcasm font :freak:

It'll be interesting to see what the cost is. I hate monthly fees, but I really dig the app. And I haven't even used it for a full winter yet :thumbs:

Edited by Nick The Great

First time On Star subscriber since we recently purchased our 2017 Sierra. I was blown away by the prices for this service. 3 months are free and an additional 3 months if I give them a payment method up front. Then after the trial period is up it was 19.99 for the basic and iirc 24.99 for plus and 34.99 for the full deal. Plus 10.00/mo more if we want unlimited data. All that on top of an almost 700.00 per month payment. Not to mention the monthly fee if we want to keep Sirius/XM active.

I'd better plant that money tree soon.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Edited by abulldog
  • Like 1

Whats different about turn by turn vs regular indash gps? When i send an address to it from the app (basic free service) it tells me every turn i have to take till i get there.

Turn by turn shows you which streets to turn next onto... Basically it's all text based. Regular in-dash GPS would be a physical map, like you'd have on a Garmin or TomTom GPS, which shows you how far the next street is, what street you're on, etc.