So here in Austin we have an influx of semi trucks and other terrible drivers that haul gravel without it being covered properly.

Unfortunately my trucks front end hasn't seen it's best days because of this. And I'm sure it doesn't help that our paint chips easier than ever.

I've been looking into options of what I'd want to get done. Looking for advice/tips on what route to take.

1. Kevlar Coating

I've gotten this priced out at Starwood Customs & LRM Kevlar out of Dallas/Fort Worth. Can choose basically ANY color or mix/custom, would be able to wash with a pressure washer easily. Just isn't glossy, but is very protective. Top of the line companies for these Kevlar coatings, they will be doing our Jeep in the future as they typically do higher end vehicles/Jeeps. But for a test round, I would like to possibly get my Silverado done. For a Crew Cab I'm looking at $ 5K+ I know I saw someone on here do a full Line-X and it cost more than this. Only thing that worries me about doing the Kevlar is how the resale value would be at 80-100k miles. Hoping this would add some value to the vehicle, especially for people in Texas who drive the back roads often.

http://www.starwoodcustoms.com/kevlar-offer/
    https://www.lrmkevlar.com/
  2. Vinyl Wrap

I've got a local place in Austin that could do the wrap for me in any color/metallic I wanted. It would cost around $3500-4k. So just barely cheaper than the Kevlar. Good thing about this is I could take the wrap off at any point, but then it would expose the wonderful rock chips. You can get some pretty nice metallic colors in vinyl wrap though. Matte or Satin is also a good choice.
  3. Sand & Paint

Last option would be to sand down the truck and re-paint and clear coat the whole thing. If I went this route, I would be adding a clear bra on the whole front end. This route seems the most expensive, since a paint job would be $3k+ and adding clear bra install on top of this. I would not be changing colors if I was going to do this.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these options? Please weigh in with your opinions and info about the route you took.

I'm not in any hurry to do this. I've owned this truck for 1 year - 35K miles later I'm still very happy with the appearance and drivability. Turns heads everyday and I still clay bar/seal/wax even though the rock chips are getting the best of her.

So you want the whole truck done?

You could just do clear wrap at the front yourself, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004VG6QYS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500645929&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=clear+car+wrap&dpPl=1&dpID=31O7qRx74WL&ref=plSrch

or you could even get the opti coat for around 600 usd for your whole truck. (But you will have to get your paint chips fixed first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm probably going to buy another new truck when the 2019's come out. I'm thinking I'll do a full wrap on it from day one. A lot of high end Mercedes, Audi guys are doing this just to keep the car looking new after three or four years. That way you can just peel it off at trade in time. IDK, a full wrap will probably run at least 2.5/3k?

So you want the whole truck done?

You could just do clear wrap at the front yourself, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004VG6QYS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500645929&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=clear+car+wrap&dpPl=1&dpID=31O7qRx74WL&ref=plSrch

or you could even get the opti coat for around 600 usd for your whole truck. (But you will have to get your paint chips fixed first.

Yes, currently my truck has picked up too many rock chips on the front bumper, grille, front fenders, headlight trim, hood, some doors down the cab, etc. I'm not a fan of touching up this many chips, so I'd prefer to completely redo the whole exterior. If it was a sand & paint route I chose, it would be with a urethane based paint, not water based.

My next vehicle I will definitely clear wrap the entire front bra and then some.

I'm probably going to buy another new truck when the 2019's come out. I'm thinking I'll do a full wrap on it from day one. A lot of high end Mercedes, Audi guys are doing this just to keep the car looking new after three or four years. That way you can just peel it off at trade in time. IDK, a full wrap will probably run at least 2.5/3k?

I was quoted around $3k...but I had a 2014 Silverado previously with my front bumper wrapped and it didn't hold up to rock chips as well as I would've hoped for that much $$$. I do like the matte/satin wraps that are usually on the high end vehicles, but it's only supposed to last for 7 years at max (3M), so definitely temporary.

I've always done the front bumper, grille, hood, mirrors and fenders. Always been then than $1k and never had Rock chips anywhere I didn't have coating.

I'm past that point unfortunately.

I think a wrap would be the good way to go especially since if you get bored of the finish you can always peal it off unlike the rest of the options mentioned

I think a wrap would be the good way to go especially since if you get bored of the finish you can always peal it off unlike the rest of the options mentioned

How does it hold up in the bush? Manzanita is sharp and scrub oak like spears. One tear then what? Paint you can rub out most of it but then again it's a truck off road. Thought about a wrap. Jus not sure on my level of durability

Yeah, that's a 50k+ High Country . I named it "Lockjaw" when I posted it a long time ago. I think it's genius. It would definitely stop a lot of door dings at Costco. Everyone would be scared shitless to get around it. That wrap would probably come at a premium price though.

Wrap is good and it holds up fine but it's $$$ for something that won't last forever, paint is the best way to go but you pay for it.

I got a vehicle touched up and colour matched for about $1000 but still chips will happen again.

If you have access to

a place to Paint indoors, or even a pop up garage 03c4a63f3f7329c7d8a3f51728c281cd.png

and a air compressor

I would just order the plasti dip kit to paint your truck, it would be about $600 said and done if you do it yourself and the great thing about it is if you want to change the color you just have to spray one new layer on top.

I'd be hesitant on the vinyl wrap. I looked at doing this in the past with another vehicle, but was deterred by the thought of rocks ripping through that as well. Sure, it's better than chipping the paint but at that price, I don't want to have to keep repairing/replacing it.

For the cost of full wraps and Kevlar, I'd rather take the hit for rock chips. Having it repaired before selling by a body shop is an option. Probably $500 -1000 depending on how bad and where you live. But I opted for clear film on just the forward surfaces.

Archived