Anybody else have an E-assist hybrid?

No.  Found dropping the 4wd from auto to 2wd helps a little bit but I still find it harsh after an additional 2000 miles.  Going to try a new dealer at my next oil change and see if I get anywhere with them. 

Edited by mammut

2018 e-assist's are available in FL. I know because my dealer let me use one as a loaner - it is sweet.  

The stop-start is really smooth, almost imperceptible.  It also comes with a cheap-a.. folding tonneau cover.  I read that the e-assist and cover combined give a total of a 2-mpg increase (when I got home, I looked it up to see what the heck they had given me).  

2018 -- sierra:

PCQ         SLT eAssist Package, includes (L8B) 5.3L V8 eAssist engine, (M5X) 8-speed automatic eAssist transmission, (C5Z) 7,200 lbs. GVWR for 2WD models, (C6C) 7,400 lbs. GVWR for 4WD models, (UF2) LED Lighting, cargo box and (5JY) soft-folding tonneau cover, LPO
1 - Includes (GU6) 3.42 rear axle ratio. Requires T*15543 Crew Cab models and (PDT) SLT Crew Cab Premium Plus Package. Not available with (PCO) Essentials Package, LPO, (Z71) Off-Road package or (RC7) 20” Tires. Not available with any free flow packages or RPO options other than (K05) engine block heater and (VK3) front license plate kit. No substitutions of the above required or included equipment. 

E-assist version of the 5.3

L8B    Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 eAssist with Active Fuel Management, Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm)
1 - Included and only available with (PCQ) SLT eAssist Package.

Normal 5.3 for comparision:

L83         Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 with Active Fuel Management, Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing, includes aluminum block construction (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm; more than 300 lb-ft of torque from 2000 to 5600 rpm)

E-assist has a different version of the 8 speed  (M5X instead of M5U)

The 8 speeds have the same ratios.

8L90               M5U 3.820 4.560 2.970 2.080 1.690 1.270 1.000 0.850 0.650   built in Toledo, OH and Silao, Mexico

8L90 Accum M5X 3.820 4.560 2.970 2.080 1.690 1.270 1.000 0.850 0.650 built in    Silao, Mexico

• 4 weeks later...

Found this on the TSB site Hogtiming posted in another thread.

Free TSB site: http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=201990

Seems to apply to MX5 transmissions and the torque converter shudder seems to match with what we are seeing.  Think I am going to print it out an bring it in with me next time I am at the dealer.

document.pdf

• 7 months later...

Not trying to revive a dead thread, but I’m reviving a dead thread.  Has anyone tried tuning an eAssist?  I called DiabloSport and got told, respectfully, to kick rocks.  I eMailed HP Tuners with a vin and specified the L8B RPO engine code...  and they said their product works with the eAssist.  I’m wondering if anyone with the eAssist has that HP Tuners and a good speed shop voodoo going on.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a 2018 Sierra with  E assist.

It now has 36000 miles and other than the well documented  transmission problems ( torque converter  replaced under  warranty), it has been a joy to drive. 26 to 27 MPG on highway driving. My question is  this : the problems with GM AFM lifters is well known  and the  E Assist  trucks  spend more time in V4 mode. Has anyone achieved high mileage on E Assist  trucks?  And  what if  any have bee  problem areas ?