Installing Onstar WiFi into vehicle without it?

Have a question about installing the wifi module into my truck. Have looked online but can't find answers. I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ. I found the wifi module online from GM for a hefty $450 or so (probably can find it cheaper else where), but I wanna know, if I buy it, how to install it, and will it work? Would hate to waste the money and it not be compatible. Thanks in advance

If I'm really honest, you're probably better served using your phone as a hotspot or purchasing a mobile hotspot. You'll likely get better speeds and it's upgradable in the future. Some have the ability to add external antennas if that's what you're thinking.

If you're dead set on getting the GM hotspot, I'm afraid I can't help there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can have mine. I'm almost two months into my Onstar trial with no plans on paying for the service.

You can have mine. I'm almost two months into my Onstar trial with no plans on paying for the service.

Really? How much would you want for it?

Have a question about installing the wifi module into my truck. Have looked online but can't find answers. I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ. I found the wifi module online from GM for a hefty $450 or so (probably can find it cheaper else where), but I wanna know, if I buy it, how to install it, and will it work? Would hate to waste the money and it not be compatible. Thanks in advance

You do realize that 4G WiFi through Onstar is subscription based?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/17/2019 at 6:59 AM, tsdrumm said:

Bumping an old thread.  I guess no one has ever done this yet?

Did you? I want to do this not for the 4G, but for the local wifi and connecting Androd Auto via wifi instead of usb.

I have already upgraded my radio and HMI to allow for aandroid Auto.

16 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

As far as I know, the only way to connect Android Auto to your display is by USB. Maybe adding an aftermarket radio, you might be able to connect via wifi but not on the GM OEM setup.

There is, also, a device called CPlay2Air https://cplay2air.com/
I've tried it out but the sound quality is not as good as a direct USB connection. Also, it takes more than a moment to get connected.
I went back to the USB plug-in.
Also, it takes over the Wi-Fi connection I have to the hot-spot Wi-Fi on the truck.
Heck, I pay 35 bucks a month for the unlimited Wi-Fi, I'm not giving that up just to not have to plug my iPhone in.
Pretty sure Chevy has wireless CarPlay now but not sure. Latest I coul find: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/04/gm-begins-rollout-for-wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto/

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

...I went back to the USB plug-in.
Also, it takes over the Wi-Fi connection I have to the hot-spot Wi-Fi on the truck.
Heck, I pay 35 bucks a month for the unlimited Wi-Fi, I'm not giving that up just to not have to plug my iPhone in....

You may want to contact Onstar about your unlimited wifi. Well over a year ago I saw it mentioned somewhere that it was available at $20 for unlimited so I added it. It helps mostly with my son on trips when he wants to play some of his games on his tablet. A couple months back, I had to contact them about something else but during call, learned that I could now get unlimited 4g wifi for $15 a month so I jumped on it. I think it was around the time that my free 5 year limited Onstar services were expiring and wanted to keep some of the stuff. I'm not sure if the $15 is part of a package deal because I subscribed to some basic stuff but it gets charged seperately.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

I'm not sure if the $15 is part of a package deal because I subscribed to some basic stuff but it gets charged seperately.

Thanks, my OnStar subscription is separate from the Wi-Fi subscription (though, it appears they work together regarding OnStar for starting the truck, checking on location, etc., through the myChevrolet app.)

• 5 months later...