First tow today- 12k lbs

Against my better judgement decided to help a friend pick up a mini excavator and haul it over a steep bridge to his house. 5.3L with Max Tow and 8-Speed. Trailer and excavator tipped the scale at 11,900 lbs. Guy at rental place tried to talk us out of it, saying we needed a 3/4 ton. Let us take it anyway.

Truck wasn't thrilled about it and front end felt ready to pop off the ground, but it never missed a beat.

Quite impressed overall. And no...other than the return trip, I don't plan to make a habit out of exceeding the tow capacity.

That's why I buy GM and not Ford or Ram. Towing is GM's sweet spot. By far. It's too bad the toung load was too heavy on that trailer. Or, you could have purchase a load levelling hitch. Would have made it that much better.

Against my better judgement decided to help a friend pick up a mini excavator and haul it over a steep bridge to his house. 5.3L with Max Tow and 8-Speed. Trailer and excavator tipped the scale at 11,900 lbs. Guy at rental place tried to talk us out of it, saying we needed a 3/4 ton. Let us take it anyway.

Truck wasn't thrilled about it and front end felt ready to pop off the ground, but it never missed a beat.

Quite impressed overall. And no...other than the return trip, I don't plan to make a habit out of exceeding the tow capacity.

Excellent Son! I had a boss who thought everything could go in back of trucks or be pulled with trailer doing crap like you did......The Ferd 250's we had were straight up joke towing anything.........At the end of tenure wth this employer I would absolutely refuse to tow or haul anything for the prick! Naturally anybody who works construction has to deal with these **** supervisors wanting you to do this and that with 1/2 ton............glad to hear the truck did it in a pinch though many people to this day still say the 5.3 is great little engine it struggles to pull though.....Really? If it's doesn't do 75mph up Pikes peak the whole way it's no good?

Point is I had a F-250 with low miles struggle with 800-1000Lbs in bed going up Texas Canyon which by the way is a mole hill and no truck should ever STRUGGLE there let alone a 2005 model?

I made a thread on here a few months ago wondering how bad it would be to tow 15,000 lbs for 10 miles. My buddy has an 8.1 suburban that lost a trans. Well his trans is still down and hes been towing it with a 11 avalanche 5.3 with the 3.08 rear. He been pulling it for months now lol.

I think youre ok

The potential for problems related to overloading still exist even if you only do it once or twice. Renting a truck to pull the excavator would be a logical, cheap and safe solution.

I spent ten years overload pulling in the 90s with one tons diesels. The difference was a first class gooseneck trailer eight 14 ply E rated tires and vacuum over hydraulic brakes. Loads were centered on trailer with the truck level. The trailer handle the additional weight and braking. Total weight was 33K combination. The 7.3s and 5.9s diesels handle pulling weight and speed limits. My combo was legal and went through the scales. My point preparation and the proper trailer is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I towed 4.5 tons of gravel in a 12ft dump trailer with my last truck. Double cab 5.3 with 3.42. Total weight around 12k. Handled it just fine for the 3 miles I went. I feel more comfortable doing that then when I see mini vans pulling campers and boats.

try stopping these 12,000 pound loads at freeway speeds and we will see how comfortable you are with a 1500 series truck.

Yeah would have never tried that. Was mildly uncomfortable with the 5 mile trip as it were, but yes..brakes did not smell great after stopping at the house.

Archived