6.2 Long term?

9 minutes ago, STEVEN A said:

I have always been suspicious of that OLM guide. To me this makes me wonder about the need for extra expense of synthetics. My vehicles are often under "severe duty" due to short trips even though I make sure the engine always reaches normal operating temps. I buy the best I know of and use 0/5-40/50 when I can find it. I am surprised to see that varnish and sludge but I have seen worse with fewer miles so I will  most likely continue on still. Which brand of synthetic?

The few service records that show the oil brand, show valvoline synpower which is supposed to be one of the good ones? I do not have every oil change receipt just a few  scattered ones and the previous owners word that it was done properly using synthetic. Maybe the oil monkeys at the oil change place actually were scamming and using old used oil that they recycled out back from oil changes and pumped it right back into peoples cars and charged them for new synthetic LOL. We need a more controlled experiment such as an owner that actually changed the oil themselves and wrote each one down. Lets get this done, I want to see the inside of the valve cover on a 150k plus engine where the owner has used a quality oil and followed the OLM extended oil change schedule. Help me prove my conspiracy theory. 

16 minutes ago, STEVEN A said:

Wonder why did GM quit making the big hybrids? With a 6.0 I could get interested as long as the gearbox was not a CVT. Yours has the 2 electric motors in the Allison? What batteries are in it?

GM ran out of money on these. It simply cost to much to manufacture them. The published subsidy amount was 15k per unit to build them over the sale price which was already a lot higher than a std unit. After snooping around this one i would guess that the subsidy amount was way higher than the published 15k each, this is some friggin amazing technology, everything works on this high mileage unit even the dvd player LOL.. MSRP of over 54k.when new I gave the previous owner less than 7k for it and they had recently spent 4k on a 3.5" lift/wheels/tires and front end work ball joints etc.  Hybrid battery is a 300V module under the second row seats. I have a few pics.

IMG_6713.jpg.71215f07ddc935757ffb874afaa87d55.jpg

IMG_6732.jpg.2c9c7d9a78e645c83e6e04e7c43e4e4e.jpg 

5c0891b9af9cf_2009TahoeHybrid.thumb.jpg.2fbb08df46258f97abc8a713d522995f.jpg

IMG_6752.jpg.1fecbd7ea3777ad4f7ac910015a5d8ad.jpg

IMG_6820.jpg.39e1f7acf37e614039a73a4dbe720dd0.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dnt said:

GM ran out of money on these. It simply cost to much to manufacture them. The published subsidy amount was 15k per unit to build them over the sale price which was already a lot higher than a std unit. After snooping around this one i would guess that the subsidy amount was way higher than the published 15k each, this is some friggin amazing technology, everything works on this high mileage unit even the dvd player LOL.. MSRP of over 54k.when new I gave the previous owner less than 7k for it and they had recently spent 4k on a 3.5" lift/wheels/tires and front end work ball joints etc.  Hybrid battery is a 300V module under the second row seats. I have a few pics.

Your right that is some amazing tech plus its more than a decade old. The battery, how long was the warranty? Cost to replace battery now if available? How long were they made? I know there is a law that parts have to be available for so many years once production ceases. Finding someone to work on that gearbox...

Good find you have there.

Anyway sorry to drift the thread off subject but my Hybrid thing is pretty cool LOL.

On the 6.2 I have never owned a 6.2 engine for more than 25k miles. i had a 2016 Denali 6.2 and never had a minutes problem sold it with around 25k on clock but then I had a 2017 Denali 6.2 that had what I considered a major engine issue at less than 20k miles that caused me to get rid of it. The High Pressure Fuel pump mounted on top of the engine developed a internal diaphragm leak and was dripping pure gas directly into the crankcase diluting the oil. Oil level kept rising and the oil had a distinct gas smell. I expected GM to replace the engine since all the bearing surfaces had to have been gas washed and damaged (to say the least it will not be a 300k engine) but they said NO DAMAGE so after arguing with them for a few weeks I just traded the thing in on a more or less identical 2018 6.2. Got a great deal so not complaining too much but I really did like the 2017 and would have kept it a long time if this had not happened. Currently only 6200 miles on this 2018 and I am watching the oil level like a hawk...... This type of issue makes me really leery of buying any used vehicle that has a higher value, you just never really know what has happened to it no matter how many carfaxes you run etc.   

14 minutes ago, STEVEN A said:

Your right that is some amazing tech plus its more than a decade old. The battery, how long was the warranty? Cost to replace battery now if available? How long were they made? I know there is a law that parts have to be available for so many years once production ceases. Finding someone to work on that gearbox...

Good find you have there.

Last year of production for the Two mode hybrid  was 2013 so hopefully everyone will have access to parts if needed at least in the near future. There are several hybrid battery re-manufacturing companies around. The best one i have found is called Greenbean (believe it or not) they sell a reconditioned 300V battery pack for $2,349.00 installed with a 5 year Non-Prorated warranty. They actually bring the new battery to you and swap it out right on the spot in the parking lot at work your driveway at home etc.(kind of like a windshield replacement company) I have their website saved on my computer in case I need them LOL  The battery was designed for 300k mile life and some will make it and I guess some will not. If the transmission develops a major issue I think the party might be over at that point. I am seeing re-manufactured 2ML70 trans units in the 5 to 6k range which is more than the market value of the entire rig. However Jaybo at my local trans shop might be able to handle one of these puppies, he is a darn good trans tech.

Found a few pics of my last few GM trucks. i could not find my older ones.  2009 White SLT 5.3 traded it with 90k miles it  was a notorious oil burner 2014 Grey SLT 5.3 traded it with around 50k miles on odometer it was a good truck no issues. 2016 Red Denali sold it with around 25k on odometer it was a good trouble free truck this one got me hooked on the 6.2 engine. 2017 Blue Denali 6.2 traded it with around 20k on odometer had the HPFP issue. 2018 Black Denali 6.2 currently around 6k miles and planning on keeping this one at least until they work all the bugs out on the new model style. I MIGHT be a GM truck person not sure yet....... 

post-127028-0-24690100-1395103401_thumb.jpgpost-127028-0-21756000-1483288873_thumb.jpgpost-127028-0-54964500-1477964950_thumb.jpgpost-127028-0-23497600-1496015536_thumb.jpgIMG_6108.jpg.e290be35cc68cece468dee2ab8998786.jpg       

9 hours ago, cperk said:

Just got a call from the dealer. Broken valve spring. New long block going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a push rod break on cylinder #4 at 23000 miles on my 16 with the 6.2. Had a new off the shelf engine put in, took 3 weeks from time they figured out what happened to get truck back to me. Not sure what was done on installation, but truck had CEL on within 2 days, and completely stopped running on day 10 on the way to work in rush hour freeway traffic. These trucks are heavy to push when cars are flying by at 60 mph by yourself. List of supposed failures in new engine was quite extensive, last straw for me, 2nd repair took 19 days. Since all of this fun during the summer, truck has been bought back by GM, and I am now in an 18, with the 6.2 once again. 3rd one with 6.2 (14,16, and now 18), great engine, think I just had bad luck with the 16, and dealership did something wrong on installation of replacement.

Had a push rod break on cylinder #4 at 23000 miles on my 16 with the 6.2. Had a new off the shelf engine put in, took 3 weeks from time they figured out what happened to get truck back to me. Not sure what was done on installation, but truck had CEL on within 2 days, and completely stopped running on day 10 on the way to work in rush hour freeway traffic. These trucks are heavy to push when cars are flying by at 60 mph by yourself. List of supposed failures in new engine was quite extensive, last straw for me, 2nd repair took 19 days. Since all of this fun during the summer, truck has been bought back by GM, and I am now in an 18, with the 6.2 once again. 3rd one with 6.2 (14,16, and now 18), great engine, think I just had bad luck with the 16, and dealership did something wrong on installation of replacement.

Man that sucks! That is going to be my next question to the dealer. What if something starts leaking where they had to install new gasket? Are they going to fix it under warranty or charge me.

10 hours ago, Dnt said:

Last year of production for the Two mode hybrid  was 2013 so hopefully everyone will have access to parts if needed at least in the near future. There are several hybrid battery re-manufacturing companies around. The best one i have found is called Greenbean (believe it or not) they sell a reconditioned 300V battery pack for $2,349.00 installed with a 5 year Non-Prorated warranty. They actually bring the new battery to you and swap it out right on the spot in the parking lot at work your driveway at home etc.(kind of like a windshield replacement company) I have their website saved on my computer in case I need them LOL  The battery was designed for 300k mile life and some will make it and I guess some will not. If the transmission develops a major issue I think the party might be over at that point. I am seeing re-manufactured 2ML70 trans units in the 5 to 6k range which is more than the market value of the entire rig. However Jaybo at my local trans shop might be able to handle one of these puppies, he is a darn good trans tech.

Found a few pics of my last few GM trucks. i could not find my older ones.  2009 White SLT 5.3 traded it with 90k miles it  was a notorious oil burner 2014 Grey SLT 5.3 traded it with around 50k miles on odometer it was a good truck no issues. 2016 Red Denali sold it with around 25k on odometer it was a good trouble free truck this one got me hooked on the 6.2 engine. 2017 Blue Denali 6.2 traded it with around 20k on odometer had the HPFP issue. 2018 Black Denali 6.2 currently around 6k miles and planning on keeping this one at least until they work all the bugs out on the new model style. I MIGHT be a GM truck person not sure yet....... 

post-127028-0-24690100-1395103401_thumb.jpgpost-127028-0-21756000-1483288873_thumb.jpgpost-127028-0-54964500-1477964950_thumb.jpgpost-127028-0-23497600-1496015536_thumb.jpgIMG_6108.jpg.e290be35cc68cece468dee2ab8998786.jpg       

Holy crap! Well at least you try a different color each time. :lol:

5 hours ago, cperk said:

Man that sucks! That is going to be my next question to the dealer. What if something starts leaking where they had to install new gasket? Are they going to fix it under warranty or charge me.

That should be covered by warranty, though it may take a heart to heart with the GM. Threaten to sit out front with a big lemon sign and they will see the error of their ways. It worked for a buddy with a new Camaro that had been in the shop for 60 of it's first ninety days. Waiting on the dealer and parts got too much and it was finally dealt with under the lemon law. He just wanted to drive his ZL1 that cost nearly the same as my Yukon Denali.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dnt said:

Does that battery pack give off much heat?  I can see the small fan it looks like. They are individual cells right?

No heat externally of the casing, the variable speed fan forces air from inside the vehicle through the 200 or so individual battery cells inside the casing and exhausts it under the truck to the outside. They say that if the interior of the vehicle is comfortable for you then the battery is comfortable LOL. The reason that I took it apart was to check the fan inlet screen. The intake screen was partially blocked with lint as you can see in the pics. The exhaust is the black plastic duct in the 2nd pic. My other airflow issue was the weathetech floor liners. The lip that turns up was actually blocking airflow through the slots where it is supposed to draw air from at the bottom of the seat area. A good pair of snips and some trimming took care of that in short order. Purring like a kitten now.........................and I hope it continues "knock on wood"   

IMG_6726.jpg.b67be9c26a7d08e2c8b4df6693d3953e.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg.661148f55a230aa78f279e8736298880.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg.96d95a367ccc3e8e0ff577d80cb7eaab.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

28 minutes ago, Dnt said:

No heat externally of the casing, the variable speed fan forces air from inside the vehicle through the 200 or so individual battery cells inside the casing and exhausts it under the truck to the outside. They say that if the interior of the vehicle is comfortable for you then the battery is comfortable LOL. The reason that I took it apart was to check the fan inlet screen. The intake screen was partially blocked with lint as you can see in the pics. The exhaust is the black plastic duct in the 2nd pic. My other airflow issue was the weathetech floor liners. The lip that turns up was actually blocking airflow through the slots where it is supposed to draw air from at the bottom of the seat area. A good pair of snips and some trimming took care of that in short order. Purring like a kitten now.........................and I hope it continues "knock on wood"   

IMG_6726.jpg.b67be9c26a7d08e2c8b4df6693d3953e.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg.661148f55a230aa78f279e8736298880.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg.96d95a367ccc3e8e0ff577d80cb7eaab.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

That was smart for taking the time and effort looking at it and finding the the lint blocking the vents. Interesting no cabin type filter for it. I am fascinated at the tech and engineering I am seeing. Thanks for sharing these pictures. I want one just for the tech it has though I am out of parking spaces now. Hmmm. Maybe now that this tech is more readily available (cheaper) GM will try again for a large hybrid. I would be a buyer at a reasonable premium with a sufficient warranty. What were all the original warranties?

GM carried an 8yr 100k mile factory warranty on the Two mode Hybrid system vehicles (seems like it was 150k in CA?) Might be able to find a lightly used one that is still under the Hybrid factory warranty but I am sure that it would be priced accordingly.  Not something that you see everyday on Craigs list which is where I found this one. Just be careful to buy a one owner that has a good/known service history. Even more than other vehicles, if it has been abused and not maintained properly you do not want to buy it no matter how cheap it is.    

2 hours ago, Dnt said:

GM carried an 8yr 100k mile factory warranty on the Two mode Hybrid system vehicles (seems like it was 150k in CA?) Might be able to find a lightly used one that is still under the Hybrid factory warranty but I am sure that it would be priced accordingly.  Not something that you see everyday on Craigs list which is where I found this one. Just be careful to buy a one owner that has a good/known service history. Even more than other vehicles, if it has been abused and not maintained properly you do not want to buy it no matter how cheap it is.    

Thanks again, no worries not my first rodeo. It would have to be a '12 or '13 with less than 80,000 to get me interested and that would be a hard find at a bargain.

Edited by STEVEN A
correction