Oil Filter observation

I just changed out the factory fill oil and filter on my 2017 Sierra. The filter I removed was a plain jane PF-63. The only filter my dealer will install is the ultimate crappy E-Core PF-63E. They can't even order the non E-Core. My truck was built in June 2017. Fortunately, I found a source for the assembly line oil filters with the red decal. I can purchase them by the case. No E-Cores will ever be on my truck.

No AC Delco's have every been on my trucks or ever will. Cheap junk IMO.

fyi - Oil filters are installed at the engine manuf, plant, not the final assembly line.

Edited by elcamino

Now that the New GMC Acadia's use Larger same size oil filter as the 1/2 ton trucks my pops looked at his and said, "this has got be the shittiest looking oil filter I have ever seen" I will not use this crap.....

Now that the New GMC Acadia's use Larger same size oil filter as the 1/2 ton trucks my pops looked at his and said, "this has got be the shittiest looking oil filter I have ever seen" I will not use this crap.....

The 2500-3500 6.0 gas engines use the PF-48 oil filter, which is even smaller than the PF-63 oil filter specified for the 1500 series Ecotec engines.

Frankly all I have ever used on my last 3 Chevy trucks have been Wix filters. And when the warranty runs out next year, I will use on this 2014. I will be 75 next summer.... and the only way to make sure your oil change is done right, is do it Yourself.

• Like 4

I have used both the Fram Ultra XG10575 and most recently a Mobil 1 M1-212A. No complaints with the Fram Ultra (very well built). Going to try to take the Mobil 1 apart to compare when I change oil in a few weeks.

Let us know what you think.....we tore the AC Delco PF-63 apart off Acadia and the paper element was absolute garbage....GM probably gets those for 1.50 Per can so can't blame them I guess......But when your selling something like C7 ZO6 to a customer you have to wonder why the AC Delco filter is on there?

Let us know what you think.....we tore the AC Delco PF-63 apart off Acadia and the paper element was absolute garbage....GM probably gets those for 1.50 Per can so can't blame them I guess......But when your selling something like C7 ZO6 to a customer you have to wonder why the AC Delco filter is on there?

Can do. I'm guessing it will be sometime in November when I change oil/filter.

Here are some pics of a Fram XG10575 I ran on my Sierra. I know a lot of people have reservations against using Fram oil filters but their Ultra line seem to very well built. I haven't heard anything bad said about them over on BITOG. Similar in price to the Mobil 1 filter (around $9).

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3534172/Cut_open:_Used_Fram_Ultra_XG10

Its funny how people think certain parts of their truck is "Cheap Junk", but the overall GM truck is top notch lol.

It's all relative. Nothing in this world is 100% perfect. While I truly love my 2017 Sierra, there are a couple of annoying things that I have noticed with it:

• The front steering rack/engine "skid plate" on the basic Z71 package is a cheap POS plastic part with two metal brackets. The factory aluminum upgrade is a couple of hundred dollars.
  • The aforementioned cheap junk replacement oil filters GM pushes on the public. The filters installed at the engine plant are the old design.
  • Lack of zerk fittings on ball joints, and the lack of size of those ball joints.
  • Why does my wife's '15 Chrysler 200S have a superior infotainment system? On her XM, there is a pic of the album cover of the artist that is playing. Also, she has pause, and playback.

The positives far outweigh these negatives. The fuel economy is superb, power is very adequate, wind noise is very low, quality of materials and assembly build quality superior to it's competiton. GM trucks are far easier to "work on" and service than the competition. Also, the styling, which is very subjective, is ahead of the others.

• Like 2

It's all relative. Nothing in this world is 100% perfect. While I truly love my 2017 Sierra, there are a couple of annoying things that I have noticed with it:

• The front steering rack/engine "skid plate" on the basic Z71 package is a cheap POS plastic part with two metal brackets. The factory aluminum upgrade is a couple of hundred dollars.
  • The aforementioned cheap junk replacement oil filters GM pushes on the public. The filters installed at the engine plant are the old design.
  • Lack of zerk fittings on ball joints, and the lack of size of those ball joints.
  • Why does my wife's '15 Chrysler 200S have a superior infotainment system? On her XM, there is a pic of the album cover of the artist that is playing. Also, she has pause, and playback.
The positives far outweigh these negatives. The fuel economy is superb, power is very adequate, wind noise is very low, quality of materials and assembly build quality superior to it's competiton. GM trucks are far easier to "work on" and service than the competition. Also, the styling, which is very subjective, is ahead of the others.

Maybe people tend to forget one simple fact in any/most manufacturing process; "lowest bidder".

• Like 1