Rancho or Bilstein?

looking for a shock upgrade for my 2015 2500 Hd 4WD gasser.   it has the white Ranchos from the factory. looking for some input on the better Ranchos or the Bilsteins.    or is there a thread already on this?    thanks

1 hour ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

Aftermarket Ranchos are a decent shock. The one GM puts on the trucks at the factory are tarted up Tenneco shocks. The Bilsteins are an improvement.

No Rancho shock is worth installing, regardless of which series of shock it may be.

19 hours ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

Aftermarket Ranchos are a decent shock. The one GM puts on the trucks at the factory are tarted up Tenneco shocks. The Bilsteins are an improvement.

you mean the Rancho shocks that GM puts on are a cheap version?

25 minutes ago, dynoray said:

you mean the Rancho shocks that GM puts on are a cheap version?

Not necessarily 'cheap' just the lowest bid for GM's requirement.   People generally upgrade oem wear items with higher quality items that fit within their own requirements.  Shocks wear out and need replacement, might as well upgrade them.  Almost any 'quality' or brand name aftermarket shock will be better than the oem Ranchos.   

O good Ill be the odd ball today I still have the original Ranchos on my 2015 gasser HD. That truck rides smooth towing and unloaded guess I got a good set. Yea they got some rust on a few places. Who cares its a truck I use it as such. But I totally understand others wanting to upgrade and that is great , nothing wrong with that. Thats what makes the economy flow.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crankman said:

O good Ill be the odd ball today I still have the original Ranchos on my 2015 gasser HD. That truck rides smooth towing and unloaded guess I got a good set. Yea they got some rust on a few places. Who cares its a truck I use it as such. But I totally understand others wanting to upgrade and that is great , nothing wrong with that. Thats what makes the economy flow.  

I will bet you money that you have leaking shocks on your truck.

The shock upgrade for me is more of a safety aspect then ride, I have been in at least one situation where Bilstein shocks saved my ass, had to full abs brake while turning the jerking the wheel to avoid a accident, truck stayed planted, never nose dived or leaned, with factory shocks I would have lost rear braking and the traction of the left front tire.

While pulling a trailer they also make a huge difference.

If you get along with factory shocks then great but there is more to it then just wasting some money.

The Bilstein 5100's are great, if you are working the suspension more you can use a shock with a little more volume such as the Fox 2.0 or 5160's $$$.

Bilstein.... blah.  Two sets of 5100's and both sets had the rears leak in less than 15000 miles..... less than 5000 miles for the one set.  The higher mile set came from my pavement truck that doesn't tow or haul anything and you could play the one like an accordian... no charge left.   They must not like cold weather... or I apparently destroy them somehow ( that's the good one... must be by driving on highways) or whatever.... every forum has someone comment the same excuse lol.  If it was one set of shocks... well okay...bad set.... but 2 sets bought like 2 years apart.... pass. 

Buy anything but lol.  Thats my vote.

Or just buy Bilstein because differing opinions are not allowed lol.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3