Ambient light sensor

Anyone else notice the ambient light sensor kicks in the headlights way too often  with way too high a sensitivity?

I find just going under overpasses and evening drives when the sun is on the horizon, my light turn on. Considering I leave them dim at night it basically means I can't see my gauges in the evening.

Anyway to change it?

Yup! My 17 All Terrain is definitely different in sensitivity when compared to my 15 Silverado. Car ports, underpass', even an hour from sunsets will cause the lights to kick on. Its rather annoying since I have to keep toggling the cluster brightness every morning. Don't like being blinded at 3am when I hop in to go to work. The 15 Silverado definitely didn't have this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

My 17 does the same thing,,,bright sunlight and they will come on if the sun is not shining directly on the sensor, complained to the dealer, he just said that the sensor was very sensitive and it was normal,, In other words,, just put up with it,, My 16 did not do it.  

On 11/24/2017 at 5:27 PM, Almboss said:

I believe there is an option for how long before they kick in. 30 seconds 60 seconds or something like that.

Are you thinking of the delay before the lights turn off when exiting the vehicle? 

Exit lighting can be set to 0, 30, 60 or 120 seconds. 

Only reference I recall regarding the switch from day to night mode is that it will switch after "a slight delay".

On 12/5/2017 at 7:51 PM, daveor said:

My 17 does the same thing,,,bright sunlight and they will come on if the sun is not shining directly on the sensor, complained to the dealer, he just said that the sensor was very sensitive and it was normal,, In other words,, just put up with it,, My 16 did not do it.  

My 15 did not do this. My 17 does. I am so tired of the excuses and reasons the dealership can come up with. This is how I fixed it. I removed the sensor. Google how to remove.  I then took the sensor apart. There are two clips on either side of the sensor. Push them in at the same time and pull the cover off the sensor. There is a white GOOP that covers the photo cell. It is supposed to diffuse the light. I removed almost all the GOOP. I left a very small amount about the size of a baby aspirin. Put it all back together. Now my lights come on and turn off when they are supposed to. It took me about a half hour. 

PS. This worked for me however I live in a mostly rural area and although  I do drive under some street lights I was wondering if driving at night in a bigger city if this may turn the headlights off

PLEASE Proceed  AT YOUR OWN RISK. 

Edited by JR777
PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK