Anyone ever upgraded their stock front hub bearings to something heavier? Or does it require that I swap out the whole axle shaft assembly.

I had a bearing go bad on me while I was out plowing a few days ago, and it just wore right out. So I figure while I'm in there, is it possible to get a heavier duty one?

Im not aware of a "heavier" option.  Theres a number of aftermarket makers. Find  all the reputable brands and pick the highest MSRP. 

Do you believe it failed from plowing?  How many miles on it?  Truck model, year, etc.?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 3:45 PM, Charlie OK Chatterley III said:

Anyone ever upgraded their stock front hub bearings to something heavier? Or does it require that I swap out the whole axle shaft assembly.

I had a bearing go bad on me while I was out plowing a few days ago, and it just wore right out. So I figure while I'm in there, is it possible to get a heavier duty one?

Doesn't likely help the OP,  but the 2011+  chassis has a 'heavier' front end, frame brakes etc. 

On 1/10/2018 at 5:54 AM, Spurshot said:

Im not aware of a "heavier" option.  Theres a number of aftermarket makers. Find  all the reputable brands and pick the highest MSRP. 

Do you believe it failed from plowing?  How many miles on it?  Truck model, year, etc.?

Truck is a 2008 Chevy 1500 4x4 Crew Cab, with approx 110K on it. I don't think it failed from plowing per se, but it probly didn't help... Truck has been super since I bought it with 28K back in 2010, and only had some very minor issues up to this point.

I purchased this Timkin hub from Amazon with Prime, SP500301.  It looks exactly like the original, even down to the colors of the ABS connectors and wiring.  

Back in 2011 we bought a Chicom hub and while the machine work and metal was fine, hub works fine, the ABS sensor was bad from the get.

When my hubs in my 99 1/2 went out at 115-130 k, I bought the OEMs.  I get the impression that failed bearings in a sealed hub is not uncommon in the 100 k area, regardless of GM vehicle model.

On 2/2/2018 at 8:20 AM, Spurshot said:

When my hubs in my 99 1/2 went out at 115-130 k, I bought the OEMs.  I get the impression that failed bearings in a sealed hub is not uncommon in the 100 k area, regardless of GM vehicle model.

Yeah Your probly right about that failing at 100K thing...

Archived