03 1500 with plow mounts

Hi everybody, my name is Andrew and I’m going to be looking at and hopefully buying a 2003 Silverado 1500 this week. It has 69,000 miles and seems to be in good shape (minimal rust). I do notice that the truck has plow mounts. Being that it’s a 1500 should the plow mounts worry me that he plowed with a 1500 and possibly prematurely damaged the truck? Or am I overthinking lol. What are some things I should look for when I see and test drive the truck? This would be my first time purchasing a truck and I don’t want to get screwed hahaha.

• 2 weeks later...

I have plows on three of my pickups . on the 1500 series look for rusted rockers and cab corners. And break and fuel line rust and transfer case leaks ECT. Also plowing wears out front end parts quickly. But if the truck was used for a personal driveway and not abused you should be fine .

I don’t think a plow could damage the truck.  It might cause the suspension to wear out faster but I imagine it would be quite obvious while driving.   Check for steering wandering, sway, and shock dampening while doing a test drive.  Also check for wheel hub bearing failure.

Im planing on putting a home plow system On my half ton as well.  I see lots of half tons with light duty plows, even on smaller trucks like Tacoma’s.

just don’t expect to clear Walmart parking lot with them ;)

Edited by greatmizzou