Apple Carplay Issues

HI All, 

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali & have issues at time with Apple Carplay.  Sometimes it connects just fine while other times is doesn't.  When having connection issues, the carplay icon on the home screen will usually be there, but doesn't do anything when you touch it.  When having issues, text or call notifications don't appear on the infotainment screen but it'll still play messages or make calls when you press the voice command button on the steering wheel. 

Could this be an issue with the phone or the infotainment system? "Sometimes if I turn my phone off & restart it before getting into the truck carplay will work fine.  However, it's a  50/50 chance that it'll connect again the next time I try. 

Suggestions???

I have had problems with mine as well. I have had mine to the dealer and they replaced the HMI module i think. I still have issues and it is frustrating. Same thing happens to me. Sometimes it connects fine and the next time its crap. Sure would be nice if they would come up with a system that works.

I’ve also experienced intermittent issues with CarPlay, both with my 6s and now with my X. I don’t know if the issue is with the infotainment system or Apple’s software. I haven’t asked the dealer about it as I’m sure they would blame it on the phone.

I have found I can usually fix the issue by removing the USB cord and plugging it back in.

2017 Silverado exact same issue. Dealer says just unplug the USB and plug back in and it will work. The issue is this only works 50% of the time. Maybe a software issue?

Same iPhone 6s connects all the time in my kids 2016 Silverado with car play. 

2017 Yukon Denali and I have the same issue. 50/50 here too. I unplug it and clear the phone then plug in and it works fine. I do find if I am using and app on the phone then try to make a call it gets confused. Meaning if connected to the truck it doesnt like doing two things which unconnected is not an issue. 

My 2017 Silverado does this as well, sometimes the projection icon stays there even though the phone is plugged in, sometimes the Apple car play icon shows up but it doesn’t work (although I’ve found if you click the audio button, Home, and then the Apple CarPlay button it will usually work), or sometimes it likes to start playing my music through the phone speakers. Definitely has some issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue.  Usually when the CarPlay icon is visible on the home screen I can press the GM navigation button and let that come up for a second, then press the home button to go back to the home screen and the CarPlay Icon button will work.  

For this reason, it sounds like it's a GM problem to me.

• 11 months later...

I have had the same intermittent  issues with Apple Car Play connecting to my iPhone 8. I did find that a new cord seemed to help but still not 100% reliable. I have rented several cars and found Apple Car Play to work flawlessly in them. Does GM have a software update for myLink? I understand that such updates are supposed to pop up automatically when the truck is started but have never seen a notification.

On 1/14/2018 at 3:43 PM, steve76t said:

Suggestions???

Dump the iPhone and get an Android. I have had iPhones forany years (and my work phone is still an iPhone).  Apple used to "just work" but over the last several years the reliability has decreased at the same rate as their innovation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all.

Anyone have any issues where when the phone is plugged in it charges, but Carplay does not come up at all? It has been spotty the last few months and now I don't have anything. Tried 5 different cables, All USB ports. Can't seem to find any solution or anyone with the same issue as myself.