Bad injectors

I took my truck in this morning because the check engine light came on. Dealer said it was 3 bad injectors that had to be replaced. Has anyone had this problem? Could it be AFM related? I also had a pop up message to service Stabilitrak but dealer won’t look into it under warranty since I have a leveling kit and larger than stock tires. They recommend I put it back to stock and take it again to avoid the $135/hr charge to diagnose it

37 minutes ago, ducklawyer said:

Coworker just had the same injector issue. 2015 with 30k miles. Replaced under warranty but said they cited the AFM

How hard does this dead horse need beating before we understand that hangnails and the common cold are not AFM related? Before you know it TPMS failures and baldness will be "AFM related". 

• Like 1

How hard does this dead horse need beating before we understand that hangnails and the common cold are not AFM related? Before you know it TPMS failures and baldness will be "AFM related". 

Seems to be the dealer go-to if they don’t know underlying issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THREE BAD Injector's sounds a bit silly to me. There was some new doctor TV series show on the other day that caught my attention when a guy was doing an analogy trying to explain to the new kid at the hospital why the PIA doctor was in charge of the hospital. Went something like this.   Lets say you have a rattle in your car and you have a couple of choices on where to take it, this one reputable place does everything by the book they will scan analyze test for days and then will do whatever the computer says and tell you it is fixed  charge you thousands of dollars and send you on your way, well problem is that on the way home guess what, the rattle is STILL THERE. Now the other mechanic is rude obnoxious and does not test jackchit he just walks over to the vehicle looks it over for a few minutes and then tightens the loose bolt, charges you 5 bucks and sends you on your way. To bad that we cannot find a dealership (hospital) that has a mechanic (doctor) like that LOL     

• Like 1

Thee bad injectors? Sure. Not common, but it happens. As an example, #4 cylinder shows a history of 1200 misfires, #6 shows 750, #3 shows 45. It's under warranty. Are you not going to replace all three? Or maybe the worst 2 and have the tuck back next month so you can listen to the customer bitch " I just had this F#**& thing in here, My time is so valuable, bla, bla, bla". Your in there anyway, just put all three in. Having said all that, we don't have a clue what the truck ran like, what the codes were or the diagnostic procedures that were done. Probably never will. Something had to take him to injector failure. The "computer" NEVER will by its self. No magic wand.

Edited by tbarn

You can't hurt injectors by diving. Chalk it up to crappy design. Or maybe crappy fuel. Also, a stabilitrak message may have been caused by a misfire code.

Edited by tbarn

I took my truck in this morning because the check engine light came on. Dealer said it was 3 bad injectors that had to be replaced. Has anyone had this problem? Could it be AFM related? I also had a pop up message to service Stabilitrak but dealer won’t look into it under warranty since I have a leveling kit and larger than stock tires. They recommend I put it back to stock and take it again to avoid the $135/hr charge to diagnose it

They can hook up to computer and figure out why the service stabilitrak come up and shouldn't make a difference if you have bigger tires or not for them to do the test. Second, I have 6in lift and 35s and it has never affected cost when it came to warranty work. Go to another dealer.

They can tell with the Tech II tool the readings on the injectors performance, One may have been bad enough to set a CEL and the other 2 could show signs of going bad but not quite at the point to where the CEL would be flagged so thus they went ahead and replaced 3. 

• 6 months later...