Trifecta Performance reviews

So i just purchased a 2018 Silverado 1500 5.3 LT with the 6 speed and 3.42 rear end. I traded in my 2015 Canyon for it. I was running a tune from Trifecta Performance and loved it. I searched but could not find anyone on here running their tune? Anyone using Trifecta Performance, love it? Hate it? Thanks 

The 2 days it has been installed the 6.2 engine idles and runs a lot smoother with no earth shattering power increases butt dyno detected. Low throttle openings don't have the notchy surging feeling. The 8 speed shifts hold rpm a bit longer 1800-2200 and are very normal with no clunking ( I didn't really have a lot before). Haven't towed yet but higher shift points should help there also. Overall not a huge difference from engine tweaks I made with HP Tuners before so similar tweaks are in the AFM Disabled tune. Last summer the IAT's were really high and there was some knock retard going on while I was scanning. Hopefully that condition is resolved in this tune. I will do more scanning when time permits and when going on vacation towing a TT.  AFE Intake and Borla cat back are the other mods.

Overall the pkg makes the truck feel much more refined as it should have off the showroom floor. The difference the intake and exhaust mods made are still there.

I had trifecta on my 2015 Colorado and made a huge difference. I got the Diablo for my 2016 5.3 Silverado and was nowhere near as noticeable of difference. I'm tempted to try BlackBear since they address more areas and specific to your vehicle. 

The 2 days it has been installed the 6.2 engine idles and runs a lot smoother with no earth shattering power increases butt dyno detected. Low throttle openings don't have the notchy surging feeling. The 8 speed shifts hold rpm a bit longer 1800-2200 and are very normal with no clunking ( I didn't really have a lot before). Haven't towed yet but higher shift points should help there also. Overall not a huge difference from engine tweaks I made with HP Tuners before so similar tweaks are in the AFM Disabled tune. Last summer the IAT's were really high and there was some knock retard going on while I was scanning. Hopefully that condition is resolved in this tune. I will do more scanning when time permits and when going on vacation towing a TT.  AFE Intake and Borla cat back are the other mods.

Overall the pkg makes the truck feel much more refined as it should have off the showroom floor. The difference the intake and exhaust mods made are still there.
I saw a post on trifecta a while ago and at the time was the only company that claimed to be able to tune the 8 speed trans without getting the TCM unlocked from HP tuners. Can you confirm this? I'm really interested in getting my 8 speed tuned because its horrible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

During the tune process you can see brief ECM TCM messages in the software. other than that the trans does hold RPM's longer than it used to and shift more purposeful. IMO the tune would go well with larger tires crowd. Driving it a few more days I just had the cruise control OFF yesterday which is sport mode in the tune. To add what i said before low throttle response is smooth as butter and the engine/trans just delivers it with no shudders or vibrations. I dont doubt the trans was tuned it does behave differently. The security system that locks the TCM IMO is a lot like the software locking they had on Blue Ray DVD's or satellite receiver cards. Once the key is compromised a new lock cant easily be re added and it is only a matter of time before more learn that trick.

For anyone with the 8 speed issues I would say it is worth a shot. My own opinion as to why the 8 speeds are clunky I have said in other threads. The tune seems to employ the same things I found in HPTuners that helped mine not be clunky ...and the additional benefits are totally worth it to me in time i didn't have to do it myself.

UPDATE:

I mainly got the Trifecta tune hoping for a bit more torque for towing. First week I was mainly driving to work and would leave it on Eco mode with cruise control ON to see what kind of mileage it was good for. There wasn't a big difference other than super smooth running and +.5 mpg.

I have in sport mode with CC off mostly all week and there is noticeably more torque down low. From the moment you press the pedal she starts pulling hard and just picks up more as rpm's rise. I barked the tires a couple of times just messing around taking off from lights. The Trans shifts are still really smooth. Still happy I spent the $$$.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Pearl2017  Which level of tune did you choose from Trifecta?  I see they have 3 levels Advantage, Advantage +, and Elite..I was already leaning towards them for our 2.0L Turbo Malibu but since it seems they got the 8 speed tranny figured out may have to get one for the 6.2 truck I have too

Advantage+ ...in trying to compare the 3 by reading I didn't see TCM tune as part of stage 1 pkg. Opted for stage 2 with speedo adjust later if needed. I also read somewhere that if later you want to upgrade you just pay the difference. Elite or stage 3 I think is for a heavy modder.

Pulled the ~2500lb trailer+SxS last weekend ...more of the same, loads of torque and clean shifting.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:51 PM, Rich7930 said:

So i just purchased a 2018 Silverado 1500 5.3 LT with the 6 speed and 3.42 rear end. I traded in my 2015 Canyon for it. I was running a tune from Trifecta Performance and loved it. I searched but could not find anyone on here running their tune? Anyone using Trifecta Performance, love it? Hate it? Thanks 

Rich, I'm in the same boat as you, I traded my 2015 Canyon for my 2018 Silverado. I couldn't be happier on the swap. I did have the Trifecta Elite on my Canyon and I loved it!  I have ordered the Elite for this truck too, I cannot wait to get it installed. Since my truck is currently 100% stock, I opted for the Elite again so I can get the tune modified each time I do an upgrade.

• 1 month later...

I installed the Advantage + in my 2017 6.2L.  Tranny shifts nice, but i'm seeing a 2+ mpg decrease in mileage in "Eco Mode" .  They advertise up to 2.4 MPG increase, which i wasn't expecting, but sure didn't expect to see a noticeable drop.    This is the 5th truck i've tuned -2 from Blackbear, 1 from Livernois for my ecoboost, and 1 from HP but this is the first time i've had a tune noticeably decrease mileage on a road trip when cruising at 60.  On the others I've seen a 0-1mpg increase with Blackbear doing the best. I e-mailed Trifecta for feedback but wasn't real impressed with their response. They said the MPG display is an average, yadda yadda, I explained I'm not using that display on the dash, i'm calculating based on fill ups from the same gas pump, at the same station.  Their response was " Not much we can do about your hand calculations".  That made me laugh.  Overall it's not a bad tune, but for the money i'm going back to Blackbear on my next GM tune.  I had a few bugs on a Blackbear tune several years ago and their customer service was over the top. 

Do you have a CAI or catback exhaust? I have both CAI and Borla and mileage is definitely not down unless i wanna hear the ROAR lol. Not sure why yours would be different?

After driving quite a bit on the tune IMO the Eco mode is not for driving in traffic. It feels just as lazy as stock and you need to push the throttle further open to take off. With ECO OFF the torque pulls right off idle and makes the truck feel lighter than it is on a lot less throttle shifting around 2k. My guess is that mode is plenty rich on fuel throwing the old emissions test @2200rpm out the window. :-)

On the highway in eco mode i did pick up 1+ mpg. and when i get off the fwy I turn off ECO. will be pulling a trailer cross country tomorrow in tow mode.