Any new news on GM retiring the 6.Dinosaur ?

Yeah yeah yeah i know the 6.0 is a rock , its dependable , its been out for years . I get all that and agree 100% 

But how many more years will GM stand pat on being last when it comes to HP/TQ/TOWING for the gas HD motor ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

Yeah yeah yeah i know the 6.0 is a rock , its dependable , its been out for years . I get all that and agree 100% 

But how many more years will GM stand pat on being last when it comes to HP/TQ/TOWING for the gas HD motor ? 

No because they want everyone to get the Duramax.  I would love to put the 6.2L gas motor in my 2003.  I don't tow with it, I hunt the mountains of Arizona. 

Rumors are the gasoline powered 2020 HD trucks seen in the recent spy shots are NOT powered by the L96 6.0L.  I personally think that GM wants to offer a gas option in the upcoming 4500/5500/6500 and sees a need for a more powerful gas option in the HD pickups.

• Like 1

Don't get why some are so hung up on numbers. Does the truck work for you when you're in the drivers seat? Is everyone passing you flipping you off? Dated engine that flat out works, want a fast truck? Why? I work in my truck not race. Trucks have capabilities, not speed performance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I guess some just don't like feeling like the "little guy" when it comes to power.  Ah well.  I'd rather have the tried and tested proven reliability of the 6.0 over some unknown new engine. 

• Like 4

The 6.0 has worked itself into legendary status. I don't see them dropping it from their high volume trucks. 

I do see them offering a bigger gas job, however. Reel in a few more buyers who aren't after the diesel, but want a little more in the displacement/horsepower area. 

On 5/31/2018 at 1:03 PM, C/K Man said:

I think GM is working on something all-new for their trucks.

They dropped a bombshell with the 2.7 and went inline with 3.0 Dmax instead of a V so they've been good at keeping things quiet with this new generation. I'd be floored if they don't have something to compete with Ford's 7.0. There's also plenty of speculation Ram will be working over the 6.4 for the new HD. 

I waited two years for GM, to go bigger than the 6.0. Did not want or need a DMax. I drove both. Liked the power of the DMax, but just didn't need it.  I always thought GM was going to make a 6.2 Iron block. Got tired of waiting! So, in Sept 17, I ordered my 18 Denali 2500hd, 6.0. I absolutely Love it.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 12:56 PM, magnum74 said:

They dropped a bombshell with the 2.7 and went inline with 3.0 Dmax instead of a V so they've been good at keeping things quiet with this new generation. I'd be floored if they don't have something to compete with Ford's 7.0. There's also plenty of speculation Ram will be working over the 6.4 for the new HD. 

So if they follow their current path, their new HD gas motor will probably be a 3.8L V6 with a big turbo on it.  (Dusted off Grand National engine, anyone?)  But who knows--the General rarely displays very much logic, so it may be a 7-liter+ normally aspirated.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

If the primary application for the rumored new engine will be HD pickups and medium duty trucks, a low r.p.m. large displacement naturally aspirated engine would be the logical choice.  Notice that Ford has not offered an Ecoboost engine in any Super Duty?  There are good reasons for that. 

On 6/3/2018 at 1:56 PM, magnum74 said:

The 'car' LS block has been 'enlarged' to 7 L & there is the 'LD' 6.2 L, would it be all that difficult to 'enlarge' the HD truck block from the current 6 L?