Any new news on GM retiring the 6.Dinosaur ?

I can see that.  Whatever they do, if it doesn’t come with flex fuel capability, I won’t buy it.  But then, I am hoping my 2015 2500 6.0 is the last one for me.  I only put 5000 miles a year on it and don’t foresee any future situation in which this one is not up to the task.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, hatman74 said:

I waited two years for GM, to go bigger than the 6.0. Did not want or need a DMax. I drove both. Liked the power of the DMax, but just didn't need it.  I always thought GM was going to make a 6.2 Iron block. Got tired of waiting! So, in Sept 17, I ordered my 18 Denali 2500hd, 6.0. I absolutely Love it.

If I may ask what is the cargo capacity on your truck? I would like to order the same truck but can't get these numbers before I order. The last 2500 I looked at had a 1950Lbs limit witch is too close to my 1810Lbs limit in my half ton to trade up!

2018 2500 Denali 6.0 payload lb(kg)  ----  2wd - 3233 (1466),  4wd - 2943 (1335)

L5P payloads are approx 400 lbs less than 6.0 payloads on 2500

SRW 3500 Denali 6.0 std bed -- 4052 (1838)    4058 (1841)

SRW 3500 Denali 6.0 long bed -- 4124 (1871)    4074 (1848)

DRW 3500 Denali 6.0 long bed -- 6112 (2772)    5761 (2613)

• 1 month later...
On 2018-05-30 at 1:05 PM, C/K Man said:

Rumors are the gasoline powered 2020 HD trucks seen in the recent spy shots are NOT powered by the L96 6.0L.  I personally think that GM wants to offer a gas option in the upcoming 4500/5500/6500 and sees a need for a more powerful gas option in the HD pickups.

Being a joint venture with Navistar - very good possibility that the gas engines will be sourced from a Navistar affilliate - PSI.  Bets they use the 8.8L gasser.   Anything less than a big block wont cut it - LS/LT can’t compare.

https://www.psiengines.com/whatwedo/on-highway-engines/

The 6.0 is an anemic boat anchor - needs a serious replacement.

Edited by WilliamBos
  • Like 1

On 2018-07-24 at 1:13 AM, C/K Man said:

The more I hear about Ford's 7X, the more it sounds like a Gen V. LS with slightly wider bore spacing and a taller deck block!

Wow, if Ford really does dump OHC and returns to pushrods they will never hear the end of it.

Sure they will - with 600 foot pounds of torque - the GM crowd will be pouting.  

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/monsters-among-us-more-details-emerge-on-fords-new-godzilla-7x-v8-engine.1161574/

• Like 1

It all sounds interesting, but I am will be fully content to hold onto my "dinosaur" L96 6.0 for a long, long time to come. 

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

With government regulations easing, automakers will surely go for cubic inches and torque.  There's nothing wrong the L96 that a tune cannot cure.  We're fortunate that the govment didn't legislate that motor out of existence too.

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

With government regulations easing, automakers will surely go for cubic inches and torque.  There's nothing wrong the L96 that a tune cannot cure.  We're fortunate that the govment didn't legislate that motor out of existence too.

not so sure about that.  There are more and more wacked out environmentalists breeding than ever before.. The younger generation will dictate where things will go regarding environmental regulations and what will be purchased and what won't. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colossus said:

not so sure about that.  There are more and more wacked out environmentalists breeding than ever before.. The younger generation will dictate where things will go regarding environmental regulations and what will be purchased and what won't. 

Eventually, I think we've been given a reprieve for at least a little while.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, i82much said:

The most recent news suggests a direct injection 6.6 liter replacement with AFM.  I think I'll keep my 6.0, thankyouverymuch.  

A bit early to say... I think GM will still offer the 6.0 option... If not then I am sure glad I will own one of the last....

So to update, the rumor has it that the new engine is a 6.6 liter 400 Hp 450Tq with direct injection and VVT mated to a 9 speed trans. I would hope an increase in milage for this gasser. Developed by Navistar as some have mentioned